Maybe you can help ... my queste for 17+ years ...

by Vivamus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

El Kabong, nope, I have that movie. It's beautiful, but no balcony in the deathscene. Thanks for thinking with me

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

I don't know if it's Camille or not, now that I've done the Google thingy. It just seemed so right. And, yes, it was the Greta Garbo version.

shucks...I know the scene you're talking about because I have that same memory.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Arrowstar, at least I'm very happy you share that memory ... after so many movies and so many years I started (just a little bit) to doubt my own memory .

Camille does die, I know the opera La Traviata is based on it ... I'm gonna go google it as well... lets see what comes up..

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, this is from Camille, she dies in a chair... http://www.filmsite.org/cami3.html

In an exquisite, classic deathbed scene, she makes a great effort to stand and greet Armand as he enters. Her eyes and face are joyous and bright for their reunion. But in moments, she is exhausted and debilitated - he sweeps his fragile love into his arms as she falls:

Marguerite: It's you. It's not a dream.
    Armand: No, it's not a dream. I'm here with you in my arms, at last.
    Marguerite: At last.
    Armand: You're weak.
    Marguerite: No, no. Strong. (She collapses into a chair.) It's my heart. It's not used to being happy.

He babbles to her about his reaffirmation of love and promises to stay with her forever - now that he understands her love-as-renunciation. He plans for their happy future together, beginning with a trip to the country where she can get well. She gains sustenance and power from his ardor and support.

Armand: I've been everywhere trying to forget how much I loved you. When I came back a week ago, I was still determined to forget you. Forget you - as if I could. Forgive me.
    Marguerite: Forgive you?
    Armand: And to think I couldn't see into this heart I knew so well and see that it was sacrificing itself for me. No good can come to either of us without the other. I know that now.
    Marguerite: I know that too.
    Armand: And nothing will separate us ever again.The future is ours. My whole life belongs to you. I'll take you far away from Paris where there are no unhappy memories for either of us. Where the sun will help me take care of you and make you well again. We'll go back to the country where we were happy all one summer.
    Marguerite: Oh, oh if only we could. If only we could.
    Armand: We can, we will as soon as you're well enough.
    Marguerite: Well I'm well now. Call Nanine.
    Armand: Nanine!
    Marguerite: Take me today.
    Armand: Yes. Nanine! Nanine. Help Madame to dress. We're going to the country today. Don't worry. I'll take good care of her.

Marguerite falters however - she goes limp and cries that she isn't strong enough. After he calls for the doctor, places her in a chaise and kneels at her side, she experiences sadness for a love that she has lost forever in the temporal world. But she's not self-deluded - her death will release them from an untenable relationship into a more spiritual, mystical relationship.

Marguerite: The doctor? If you can't make me live, how can he?
    Armand: No. Don't say such things, Marguerite. You'll live, you must live.
    Marguerite: Perhaps it's better if I live in your heart, where the world can't see me. If I'm dead, there'll be no staying of our love.
    Armand: (embracing her) Shhh. Don't say such things, Marguerite, even if we can't go to the country today. Think of how happy we were once, how happy we shall be again. (She signals death when her eyes burst open once. She crumbles and falls lifeless, but remains tranquil with a gentle smile on her face.) Think of the day you found the four leaf clover, and all the good luck it's going to bring us. Think of the vows we heard Nichette and Gustave make and that we're going to make to each other. This is for life Marguerite. (He looks at her and notices she has already passed away. He is horrified that this is the end.) Marguerite. Marguerite! No, don't leave me. Marguerite come back. (He buries his face on her breast, weeping.)

The film ends with a final fade-out, close-up shot of Marguerite's lovely, radiant face - imperishable in death.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wombat

Lady Lee.......Are you suffering from too much happiness on New Years's Day?

Look.....It's tomorrow here in Australia.

Well it's New Year's Day here as I sit with my Mimosa and thickly sliced French Toast floating in sticky syrup.

Maybe I just miss Viv and think it's great to see her

And now Back to your movie

In Love Story she dies in the hospital after they went ice skating in Central Park

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Aww Lady Lee, Many hugs and kisses to you

• Satanus
    Satanus

I luv ya too, gumby.

S

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

you are obviously an incurable romantic vivamus

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

Viv, try Dark Victory with Bette Davis, 1939. Susan Hayward was in the remake. I remember watching that movie with my mom when I was little. Made me cry.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Stillajwexelder ... nah, actually I am deeply cynical and have a big loathing for the illcapacity of mankind to make this world a better place. It's just that sometimes ... I love teary movies.

Stealyourface I'll try that one, thanks for the suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit