Maybe you can help ... my queste for 17+ years ...

by Vivamus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

When I was a kid, we used to spend every weekend at my grandparants house. My grammy had a huge leather brown couch, on which we watched movies (I was either on the couch or hiding in her arms cuz the movie scared me sh*tless).

One day, we were watching a movie, which endscene has haunted my mind ever since. I do not know the movie, nor did my grammy remember. The scene goes as follows.... A beautiful lady is lying in het bed, dying. Just in time her lover comes to het bed, they hold hands, have a speech that makes every woman cry. Then the lady askes her lover to let her see the view from her room one more time.... So he takes her in his arms, walks to the open balcony doors en lets her see it. She remarks how beautiful it is, and dies .... The camera fades away, showing him standing with her in his arms at that balcony. It is a mountain scenery and maybe in color, can't be sure about that.

Now, over the years, I have bought many classic movies in hopes I would find it. Last week I ordered "A Farewell to Arms". I put the dvd in my dvd-player, fast forwarded to the end. And sure enough! She is dying, he comes to her aid. And then she dies, still in bed ... drat, that didn't add up. But he does pick her up, and walkes to the window. But that's all, not onto the balcony. I got the version with Gary Cooper, so maybe one of the remakes has my favorite deathscene

So close .. yet so far away.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

I believe you're thinking of "Camille"

I remember that dying scene.

• Scully
    Scully

Man of La Mancha with Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren has a scene like that at the end, only it is the man who dies.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Viv,

There is a 1957 version with Rock Hudson, it might be that one. It available on DVD in the US and Canada.

I use IMDB for researching films, it's a great resource. http://us.imdb.com/

3rd

• ballistic
  • under74
    under74

Maybe it was the 1957 version with Rock Hudson?

• gumby
    gumby

Women!

Gumby

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

My initial guess was indeed the version with Gary Hudson .. did anyone actually see that one? I also use IMDB, however for thise movie, there are no snapshots and I cxan't find a snapshot on google of the scene either ...

Scully, nope, it really was the girl that dies, i'm sure

Arrowstar, I did think of Camille several times over the years (could not find a copy here tho), are you talking about the 1937 version with Greta Garbo?

• under74
    under74

I saw the rock hudson version but a long time ago....but the ending you have given sounds familiar to me and I haven't seen the one with Gary Cooper. You might google rock hudson + farewell to arms and see if any sites or pages describe it.

• wombat
    wombat

Could you be remembering the great O'Henry story about the last leaf ?

The girl is lying, dying in bed staring at a wall covered with grape-vine. The leaves are shedding as winter approaches.

A frustrated, unsuccessful artist in the same apartment cares deeply for her.

She decides that when the last leaf falls, she will die.

It was a bitter winter but one leaf just managed to hang on. It refused to fall. So she refused to die.

The artist's body was found in the snow at the bottom of a ladder.

He had painted his finest picture. A leaf.

Bloody hell...I'm getting moisty-eyed myself now.

They did make a movie of it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit