'I love Jehovah'! What is that supposed to mean?

by Gill 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gill
    Gill

Satanus - So in the end, FEAR is the only reason we all stayed Jws for so long.

Is that really all that it boils down to?

• Sentient
    Sentient

Gill- I think you've nailed it. For me, I truly believed that it was LOVE...more than anything I did not want to displease Jehovah because my identity had been shaped such that my sense of self-worth was based on how much I could *prove* that I loved Jehovah. The WTBTS's idea of God is twisted indeed, and is reflected in their behaviors and attitudes. Kind and sweet one moment, harsh and judgmental the next. They simply imitate what they believe to be God.

• sarahm18
    sarahm18

I think people say "I love Jehovah" because it helps them express their beliefs. It's in the name "Jehovah's" Witness, so I think it's also a group bonding, like with early Christians and the fish. They are a group that are separate from all other groups and their is a standing prejudices about Jehovah's so by saying that or writing it, it opens a door to like-minded people who they could possible get to know.

I could be really wrong, this is just what I think. The only time I have seen it was written on a friend's car from a fellow church member, but this is my guess.

• serendipity
    serendipity

hi sarah, welcome to the forum!

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Huh? Jehovah IS God, the Almighty Creator, the Father, Yahweh, the God of Jesus. It's just a transliterated version of Yahweh, so what is the problem? It's no different to saying 'I love God'. Now if you want to argue that Jehovah is just a Hebrew tribal mythological God that is another story, but JW's don't believe that so what is the big deal?.

• JamesThomas
  • fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

I think psychologically it's similar to a child's love/fear of a parent. When you truly believe that God exists and cares about you, listens to prayers, holds you accountable for your actions, etc. then you can develop strong emotional bonds.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I never emotionally understood that sentiment when I was a witless. It felt to me like a brownie point phrase - something you said like a trump card to win the 'whose the most spiritual' competition. Just a mantra, if you said it enough you believed it.

I was never able to form a positive emotional attachment to someone I couldnt see, never spoke to me (no reading the bible did not feel like god speaking to me), never did anything to answer my prayers, and was possibly going to be my imminent executioner if I didnt manage to get enough field service in.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I go here with katiekitten on this one.

I always felt terrible left out that I could not love somebody I did not understand and knew nothing about, and did not answer any of my questions.
    Thought it was just me, that something was wrong with me...

• trevor
    trevor

They have been told that Jehovah is the only person who can give them everlasting life in paradise or kill them. They believe this and driven by fear seek self preservation. The Watchtower Society explains how to save their lives and earn salvation.

They then invest life’s most precious recourses to please him and attach value to him as a result. Because of the value that they have placed on him he becomes dear to them and they translate the emotion as love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit