Fairy tales - unsuspected effects on children?

by Spectrum 33 Replies latest social relationships

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Terry,
    "Where do you come up with this stuff?"
    What stuff? Pop you eyes back in your head!

Your first post gave me the impression that you were suggesting that everything must be logically laid out and learn learn learn facts. I thinks a bit of fantasy in childrens lives isn't a negative as you appear to make out.
    It seems I misunderstood you.

Respect

Spectrum

• Proteus
    Proteus

Wow! I never thought about it before but now looking back I see hundreds of ways fantasy thinking has affected my life.

I loved fantasies as a child, I'm 21 and I still enjoy daydreaming and fantasy games. But now that I'm older I understand the difference between real life and the perfect world that we percieve or 'make believe'. As humans we are limited to our own perceptions and what data we recieve from outside sources. If I had never moved away from home I would still have a limited view of reality, but now living on my own I have bills, responsibilites and I can't run to my parents everytime i can't handle something. I have to figure it out. Reality

Someone commented about if 99% of people accept a reality. What about the 1% that don't?

Ever watch the matrix? 99% of people accepted the reality that was fed into them. It came from an outside source and was ultimately fiction. The 1% of people who rejected it wanted a life in the 'real world'. But finish the series! they were still under the influence of a fantasy!! why?? because they accepted a different perception on the world that was being fed to them. They were still under the same control. They just had different seats.

I think Terry has it right. Children need to be taught to see the whole of the world. Understand the difference between dreaming a dream and living one. Playing a game and living a life. Reality and Fantasy, but it must go further still. They must be allowed to expand their perceptions beyond the limits of their parents or city or country.

How many people stop to think that right now somewhere in the world, someone is getting up for work, someone is lying in a hospital bed dying, a woman is giving birth, a child is in school, a parent is reading a fairy tale to their child before bed, i'm typing on my computer.

We never think about what someone is doing elsewhere, we limit ourselves to the world we see and touch. Our immediate existance. That is what limits the human race. We do not see the whole of things.

Fantasy can be a good thing. It teaches children to dream. To dream of the fantastic and the impossible. But they must also be taught the difference between the dream and the reality. And given the means and skills to fulfill those dreams. To make the impossible happen. To bring their imaginations to life.

Anything is possible, we are limited only by our own perceptions of reality.

Just my thoughts

-Proteus

• zagor
    zagor

I'm not a child psychologist but I think its complete bullshyte. Hell, children are reading Harry Potter and all of them look normal to me. By the way I've never seen children book which was full of R rated or even X rated material (considering ages it was indended for ) like My Book of Bible Stories If kids trun out normal after reading these stories nothing else can shake them IMO

• TopHat
    TopHat

This thread reminds me of the opening song on the "Disney Show" I watched as kid...long before cable came to town we had a TV antenna on the roof. LOL..it went like this:

~~~Fairy tales can come true...they can happen to you~~~

as a child I didn't live in a fairy tale world...far from it....but I thought to myself...does anyone live like that??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit