Hi Again

by tattoogrl333 40 Replies latest jw friends

• tattoogrl333
    tattoogrl333

Well the elders do not accept me. I do not fit the mold and nor will I change too. They asked for a book for me to see the questions answered for baptisim but they wouldn't give it to me because they have to decide if I can join??? What the ....... is that about they are not god. How can they even try to be. What kind of place picks and chooses who can worship God, and who says that a few tattoos, piercings, and pink hair means that I am not worthy enought to worship God. Oh I am soooooo mad. and the only reason I know all this is because I overheard the elder say this when my study person asked for the book. then they did not even tell me why they couldn't get it for me. So I guess you were all right. But I still feel shitty. actually more angry. I just can't wait to see what my study person says when I ask why I can't have the book tomorrow. I wonder if she will lie.
    So can they do that deny you to join?

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Oh yesseriiiiii bob!

I think you are speaking of the Organization Book as it is referred too. God forbid anyone sees that before the elders think they are ready!!!

This book has all the questions in it, and some information about the organization of the congregation. There is nothing very secretive in it, I often wonder why they require approval before someone gets it.

As far as denying people who want to join....they may think that you are not yet serious if you still have pink hair and body piercings. There is nothing that can be done about the tatoos, but you can remove piercings and color your hair. I am not saying that these are the reasons...but it could be a start.

I never had a problem with any group denying someone to join per se, that is what defines a group. I would not be upset because they won't let you have the book; however, I would look at it as an opportunity to really examine WHY you want to be baptised as one of JWs.

I am curious as to how long you have been studying and attending meetings. Did you grow up in and around the faith...or are you a newly interested one that has been studying for a short time, say 6 months or a year? If you decide to become a witness, that is your choice, but please take your time to make sure that this is what you really believe and really want. This is an incredible life change. It will affect your relationship with everyone you know, especially nonJWs.

Please keep us updated on how your study conductor answers you. I am curious.

• tattoogrl333
    tattoogrl333

Eyebrow,

I've been studying for about 2.5 mo I guess. But twice a week for 3-4 hours and attending all the meetings. I guess I just am pissed that my seriousness is based upon my appearance. I didn't know if I wanted to get baptised or not just wanted to read the ?'s but now I don't want to have anything to do with it. I do not respect anyone or anything that feels they have the power to reject someone strictly by appearances. I participate and spend my free time learning, and due to some pink hair I am not allowed in. Well my hair may not always be pink but I do not think God cares what color my hair is. Who knows though but if he does then I don't want to be apart of it anyways. Just seems like I wasted some time. could have been re arranging the sock drawer or getting more tattoos. :)

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I like pink hair and tattoos :)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I never had a problem with any group denying someone to join per se, that is what defines a group.

Well in point of fact, you should.

I've seen this sentiment expressed several times on this very db, by people no doubt struggling to be balanced and even.

However, a "christian" religion is not just an organized group. A "christian" religion already has it's primary byelaws in place before they even begin to "organize".

So no, a "christian" group does not get to deny people based less than "christian" ideals.

Like it or not, whatever else he was, Christ was quite the anarchist.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Tattoo Girl,

Welcome back! You were missed!

I hope you won't let this so-called "rejection" get you down. Actually, I'd count it an honor to be rejected by such close-minded elders,,, LOL! I know you feel down, but in the long run you'll see that you've gained some good insight from this experience. (Everybody's heart gets hurt on their way to happiness!)

I remember that you like the lady who studies with you; she'll probably try to convince you that it's still worth studying, so you'll be faced with a choice. Just think it, is it really worth going through all those hoops, trying to follow man-made rules? What for?

Hope you can keep your cool, because you are a cool person! Let us know how things go!!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Don't be too upset. Do you know the account in the bible of the Ethiopian Eunuch? As soon as he found out about God he got baptized. There was no waiting period, zillion questions or approval from a bunch of men (or elders.) They did not have guidelines on what he should wear etc... It's all silly, don't be so mad. Do you really want to be a JW? If so, they will require you to have a normal hair color (what they think is normal) take out your piercings unless they are in your ears and so on. I always wanted my nose pierced and my belly button but never could. I can now, but I don't even care anymore.

Be yourself and don't let other people dictate to you what you should look like or wear. If you area true Christian, the only thing that really matters is your actions and faith.

Be young and have fun, cause you are only young once. I missed out on so much, don't do the same thing.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

My question is how is anyone supposed to make an informed decision about getting baptised as a JW if you cannot see the questions first??

SixofNine,

The whole of different religions (just my opinion) is that different groups have different beliefs and rules. If you do not adhear to the beliefs and behaviours of that religion, then why be a part of it?

Again, I do not believe any more that JWs are they only true religion...in fact I do not think there is any group out there that has the right to claim it.

JWs have always been afraid of people that do not look like they step out of the picture of a watchtower or awake! I do think they take it too far...but then again, I left because I do not believe what I once did.

I do not think it is right to deny anyone the right to read that Organization book BECAUSE it has those questions and pertinent info that anyone seriously interested should get to read about. However, based on my own knowledge of JWs, I can understand that after 2.5 months they do not think you are ready to be baptised. This answer would probably be the same if you dressed and looked like a member of the governing body. Despite what many believe, MOST elders do not encourage people to get baptised after only studying a few months, it isn't good to have people jumping into it so quickly.

When I got baptised, it was understood that you had to cover at least two books...it used to be the Liver Forever book and Truth book...then live forever and ack! I cannot think if the name (a blue book I still have somewhere!) and I think now one of them is KNOWLEDGE THAT LEADS TO EVERLASTING LIFE book....

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Six of Nine.
    Methinks that perhaps I misunderstood your post when I first read it.
    I was speaking specifically of differnet religions...not necessarily of "Christianity". I agree with you when no group has the right to deny whether you can be a christian or not...just whether you are a member of their sect/group...ie. JW, Baptist...Mormon...etc. I believe this because no matter what ANY religion claims, they are all private groups.

How can any group feel special if they cannot exclude someone? heeehee

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

welcome back tattoogirl! i am so sorry you had to experience this.
    i used to go to church (catholic) once in a while with my grandma when i was younger... i went up to see my grandma this summer, i havent been at the church for a while so i thought i should go for sunday mass. well, i was glared at and had heads shook at me for my tattoos and clothing style. i meant no disrespect, this is how god sees me everyday so why should i change to go to church one day to please all the people in 'the house of god'? blah. i know this is not even close to your experience but i have learned that having a relationship with god is a process where you should not take judgement by those around you who feel they are the only ones worthy of god's love, but take judgement from yourself and god!!!

jws love conditionaly, doll! your tatts, piercings and pink hair is unacceptable to them! sick, i know but very very true! find god on your own, he loves you...tatts, piercing, pink hair and all!!!

take care.

peace and love, mango

i know the pieces fit because i watched them fall away...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit