Blood Sausage

by sassafras 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• garybuss
    garybuss

The blood laws were not about blood, but about unbled meat.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There was a big scare in the '70s or '80s about Milky Way candy bars. Rumor shot around the US among dubs saying the company was secretly using animal blood as an ingredient in the candy bars. I was a kid at the time--it was presented to me as evidence of Satan's persecution. (Now how stupid is that--we all know anyone who makes chocolate is angelic. )

To my recollection, dubs from the east coast to at least the midwest stopped buying Milky Ways and the manufacturer's other candies to obey the blood rule. I think some dubs wrote letters to the candy maker and it took eons b4 they felt confident enough to eat the candy again. (bringing that up to illustrate the belief about blood in food--also good entertainment value!)

Oh and BTW, I've read the ingredients on faux crab meat and it says "beef plasma" right on the package. I pointed that out to my JW relative and she said it doesn't matter--the same person who implemented our Milky Way boycott yrs ago.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Beef Plasma in imitation crab meat?????? I'd better check it out.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I remember similar scares about sweeties with red dye in them. Cochineal was supposed to be the blood of beetles and there was a HUGE debate about whether this was blood or not, and to be on the safe side best not eat red sweets.

Similar scare about Bovril (beef drink).

We NEVER ate blood sausage. Big NONO.

Someone was always writing to a manufacturer about the content of something or other. It was a right royal pain in the ass. I always thought it was a sort of badge of righteousness to see who could be the most pedantic about stupid details.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Anyone else remember the marshmallow thing? As a kid I wasn't allowed to eat them.

• metatron
    metatron

I've often wondered if many Witnesses ate blood or blood sausage in concentration camps in Europe during the war.

I think the Nazis tossed such things into the rations.

metatron

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Midwich:I remember the marshmallow thing, and the Skittles thing (cochineal), neither of which lasted long because we liked them

Sass:
    He's got it entirely the wrong way around. That's a pretty amazing piece of rationalisation!

Black pudding (blood sausage) can vary a lot regarding taste, especially due to meat content and herbs and spices used. The stuff that's made locally here is world reknowned and delicious. I can vouch for it.

I didn't particularly like the idea of even trying it but I had some by accident once when I ordered some battered white pudding (the bloodless variety of the same thing) and was halfway through eating it before realising what was going down my neck. I enjoyed it so much I just carried on eating and have been a convert ever since.

SInce Jewish prohibitions on pork are allegedly no longer in force, why should any of the other dietary restrictions be?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Similar scare about Bovril (beef drink).

I remember this too...as kids we were tasked with looking at the ingredients section of any shop bought food and looking for evil Hydrolysed Protein and if it contain this so called evil stuff...we were to put it back!

DB74

• carla
    carla

I thought 'no blood' any which way it comes. (except in Bulgaria, certain fractions, once and awhile for hemophiliacs, etc..) Wasn't there a story about some hotdogs in CA containing blood or blood product that produced quite a stink and one family even shunned the others for serving their kid one of those hotdogs? Also, dried blood for the garden a no-no as well? And jw cats and dogs shouldn't get transfusions either? or is that just a myth?

• sassafras
    sassafras

Could someone direct me to a thread that talks about the Bulgaria thing? I've heard it mentioned on this board a few times, but don't know what its all about.

Oh and guess what? Thanks to you guys and the great info you've provided me with, DH has torn up his blood card! He even went as far as to write letters for my, his, and my son's medical files saying that we WILL accept blood and that is our wish. (Even if his mom is there trying to forbid it),

VICTORY!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit