what job could you have had?

by sleepy 45 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Sleepy,
    Some words to print out and tape to your bathroom mirror:

You can do it! You don't have to keep doing what you are doing! You can take one class! You can do it! You have options! You can do it!!
    See your future, be your future!
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life, and all that sorta stuff!
    You are gonna be great! and those windows will get washed by somebody else, so don't worry about that!
    Go! Sleepy, Go!
    Follow your heart! Live your dreams!
    THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHERSAL!

--Lisabobeesa

• sleepy
    sleepy

Er, like i think some of you missed the point of my post .
    I know what to do NOW I've got plans for college and all that.
    I was talking about the years we lost , years which can to some degree be made up but we'll never have them back.
    I suppose I just wanted to know about people in the same postion as me .
    I didn't want to be the only one

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2

Sleepy, I say you take all these mis-reading foo's and back suplex them for the millions and millons of the Sleepy's fans.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

You are not the only one.

I spent 13 years as a supermarket slave. Talk about killing your soul.
    I hated every day at work. I tried not to, I tired to find the good in the job, but, um, that was a hard thing to do. I sure wished I had gone to college. You are not the only one.
    -Lisabo

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I would have been a pediatrician. I love children and enjoy the medical field overall and could have gotten a full scholarship, but my parents said that only vocational school was acceptable. I had the satisfaction of being a personal nurse to a 101 year old lady from Austria, best job I ever had. But, I'm in Sales now and make decent money, had to get a job where I could get off of my feet.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Sleepy,

Is window washing a soul destroying job? It all depends on how you look at it.

Thanks to the influence of some worldly friends when I was 17, I bucked the JW guidelines about higher education and attended Indiana University for a few years. Going straight from JW life to the freedom of college life was a heady experience, and I did not have the maturity or self-discipline to handle the freedom. It took me until I was a sophomore to learn that one could say "no" when invited to a party. I dropped out before I finished a degree.

At 17 I had little idea of what I wanted to do with a college education. If I were to go back now, I feel I would be a much better student. I am more self-disciplined now and have a clearer idea of what I'd like to accomplish.

After trying many different jobs over the years--in fields ranging from pizza delivery driver, nanny, architecture, landscape architecture, civil engineering, city planning, human resources, insurance, and investing--I have, oddly enough, discovered that manual labor makes me happiest. I like the freedom from worry. I don't take my job home with me. At the end of a day, I have stacked all the boxes I can stack for that day, and there is nothing more I can do until the next day. It is psychologically satisfying; I literally see my daily accomplishments pile up. I listen to music all day, dance around when I feel like it, and holler if I am frustrated. I get loads of exercise, which improves my mood. I am not indispensable; if I want time off, I can usually take it.

As a window washer, I imagine you spend a lot of time outdoors. You probably take for granted the fresh air and being able to glance at the sky and the clouds. There may be people on the other side of your windows who envy the freedom of the window washer and wish that they were free of their draining and soul destroying jobs.

If after thinking about it, you are still very unhappy as a window washer, I recommend two books. One is Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood by Marsha Sinetar. Here is a short description from Amazon:

Discover how to tune in to your inner world and your unique talents; evaluate and build your self-esteem, banish your out-moded network of "shoulds" and liberate yourself from an unfulfilling job with this step-by-step guide to finding work that satisfies your passions.

Another book that helped me sort out what I truly value is Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship With Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. It's quite common to think that we would be happier if only we earned more. That is not necessarily true.

If you yearn for more education, you are living in a great time. Long-distance learning is hot, colleges and universities are trying to attract older students, and continuing education is a prime concern. At the doctor's office, I read in an alumni magazine about a woman who worked at Indiana University and finished her degree over 10 years, one class at a time. She received fee remission by working at the university, and her education did not cost her a cent. By taking one class at a time, neither did she disrupt her family life.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best, Sleepy.

Ginny

MBA in Mexico

An American businessman was standing on the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small fishing boat docked. Inside the boat were several large yellowfin tuna a lone fisherman had caught. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The American asked, "Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

"It's enough to support my family. I’m happy."

The American asked, "What do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children and take siesta with my wife, Maria. Every evening I stroll into the village, sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, señor."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat. You could catch more fish and buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, señor, how long will this all take?"

"15 to 20 years."

"But what then, señor?"

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would launch an IPO and sell your company's stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions."

"Millions, señor? Then what?"

The American said, "Then you could retire and move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, and every evening stroll to the village where you could sip wine and play guitar with your amigos."

• Simon
    Simon

I know what you mean sleepy - it means you have to be 'catching up' to get where you should have been. I wonder how many didn't start pension plans when they really should have too - all because of the WTS control.

Even if you did have a 'proper job' (how many have I just insulted?) the chances are that because you were in 'the truth' (small T) you probably didn't work at your career as you should or could and didn't progress as well.

I think we should make them bleed while we can
    Make 'em pay through the nose
    Make 'em pay for every man!
    Let others rise
    To take our place
    Until the earth is free

... oh dear, I seemed to have slipped into Les Miserables speak

• thewiz
    thewiz

Ya' know I feel like using a lot of 4 letter words right now, at you a holes who don't think the influence of the society (right now i won't call them the evil empire) had or continues to have a direct impact on peoples lives.

Of all the things I am most resentful, it is THIS one. Everything in the WTBS society discouraged education, investments, etc.

It was wrong to do this and that.

I was the best in ALL my courses in high school and later, much later in college in the IT profession, virtually no one topped me. A teacher would rattle off equations and/or geometry algebra, trig and sometime calculus and before he could say equals, i had the answer. I've been beat down so much, I can't can't get up anymore. I've got nothing to prove anymore. Suicide comes to mind often. A life long depression, that can only be relieved by the big sleep. IT's scares me to die, but once it happens, I know the torment will end.

A holes, nothing fills me with more anger and rage when I begin to think about this subject.

So, what I'm a big time f***** web/shit/developer/programmer/Administrator in everything form Perl, java, Apache, Netscape, linux you name it when I touch it, I learn fast. When it comes around to the brass tacks, do I really enjoy what I do? I can't even stand to be in front of a computer anymore when I get home.

Yeah, I am making the really big bucks too. Do I really care? am I some how better than the guy that scrubs the toilets? shit no.

I was full of promise, I was going to be a surgeon a heart surgeon, saving lives directly. It was an ability that came to be so naturally it was ridiculous. That's what I wanted to be. If you think I'm looking for anyones sympathy go screw yourselves.

My teachers were amazed that I would give up on my dreams so easily.

It's not that a person is a window washer. It's honorable. It's just that this person wanted something else and was crushed by forces this person could not control and continues to have problems dealing with.

It is rare, and everyone here knows it, that someone can get anywhere without a college ed.

If my kids go to college I want them to go for something that they LOVE, not with what they HAVE to do.

Tell me, how I'm going to be a surgeon, I guess going to school part time for the next 20+ years and when I'm 80 years old I'll get my degree, next day I pop off. Oh yeah my ed. really helped all those people dying. hip-hip hooray I got my degree. Oh I'm so self fulfilled. i did it for me. Tell that to all the children who died waiting for me to excel in the field I loved most.

One of the greateset sins, as I have heard and agree with, is When a person dies and goes before God and those big pearly gates, God is going to ask one question "Why didn't use the gift I gave you?"

I hate my job. I really do hate what I have to do. Nothing wrong with it, but what i wanted was rightfully taken from me by an outside force that told me that everything I really wanted was wrong.

I heard things from the platforms that Bethel needed IT people to go for a couple weeks, but you have to have a degree in IT. Well I HAD that degree, but let me tell you I was fuming.

They discouraged me from going to college and NOW they need my skills, I didn't take it as an affront to me nearly as much as the people I was surronded by, most who have no ed beyond HS. What, now they got to rub their faces in it?

Flame me all you want you do good aholes.

This doesn't appear to be a forum or support group to help people, it's just another place to blame the victim!

Well here goes, click that Reply To Topic button... NOW

• StifflersErSlayersBrother
    StifflersErSlayersBrother

I wanted to be an actor, and take drama in high school. But i droped out of high school, doin home school now. In anycase, my mommy wouldnt let me be an actor because it teaches you to be deceptive...
    :P
    Or I could have been a singer... LIKE PRINCE!!!!

• Englishman
    Englishman

I am a frustrated gynaecologist.

I can only relieve my frustration by decorating our hall and lobby through the letter-box. Ha Ha!

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit