College deletions?

by Collegegurl 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

There is definitly nothing else. Another brother, an elder, who was taking night classes had to quit. They gave my dad a week to get me to quit, a couple of elders have asked me to quit so my dad could remain an elder. The CO wrote me a letter about this.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

A letter?

Can you scan it with the names blacked out?

Is this for real?

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

What area of the USA do you go to school? I find it very hard to believe as I have many relatives and friends in college who are still afflilitaed who have said nothing about it.

If you want it bad enough, and you are an adult, stick with it. Sounds like a lot of personal agendas going on too.

Hope things work out for you!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I graduated from high school in 1979. In those days, if I had opted to go to university, my father would have had to step down as an elder. So, I went to a technical college instead. According to the pharisees, that was OK. And, incidentally, years later, others in the congregation thanked me for breaking new ground. Apparently, I was the first one in the congregation to go to college at all (a one year computer programming course), and it opened the door for others - pretty pathetic when you think about it.

• luna2
    luna2
    If you want it bad enough, and you are an adult, stick with it.

I agree! Finish college if it is at all possible!

I had finally gotten myself back into school in my late 20's when I allowed myself to be influenced by the JW's to quit. I've regretted it ever since. Getting a college degree would have been the best thing I could have done for myself and my sons, but I allowed myself to be sucked into JW never-neverland where everything was SOON going to be roses, lollipops and unicorns forever and ever. Hm, 20 years later, looks like paradise still is just around that corner. I was an idiot!!

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

Runningman, I also graduated from a 4 year university and have conitinued taking classes. I must have been very fortunate to have the parents/presiding overseer dad that I had as it was never a problem.

I hope it really works out for you if that is what you want.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, it already has worked out for me. My computer programming certificate turned into a pretty good job. Then, about five years after finishing college, I started taking accounting classes (mostly through correspondance, but some nights), and after a mere nine years, received my CMA (Certified Management Accountant) designation. The two pieces of education have complemented each other nicely, and resulted in a pretty good carreer. No thanks whatsoever to JW upbringing.

• Confession
    Confession
    What hypocrites! It is ok for them to pay for colledge education for those who will be the organizations lawyers but "don't you rank and file go get any knowledge, it will corrupt you stay close to Jah's organization for he will teach you all things for life."

Absolutely, reckless! My parents told me about an elder in their congregation being deleted because he allowed his daughter--not only to go to college--but allowed her to stay in a dorm on campus. She received a completely free ride--and the college was an hour and a half drive from their little town. He felt it would be stupid not to take the free room and board offered and pay the enormous expense of putting her up in an apartment--or making her drive three hours each day. Deleted...

This crack down on college is coming at the wrong time for this organization. Too many people are going, too much bad information is coming to light about the WTS, and more and more are finding this negative info online. Tightening their grip is going to cheese a LOT of people off. Especially in view of the above hypocrisy you note.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

I asked earlier if this might be some new directive that COs will start implementing as they make there rounds. More likely it is the crusade of a few gungho COs...but we can hope.

There are way too many jws, elders and there wives included, going after a degree or taking courses for this not to become an issue. Maybe some will start to think.

Axel

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

CollegeGurl,

Why not have your dad email the Society to get it first hand, If that is the case, the future lawyers going to college on the Society's dime should also quit.

Budhee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit