Self Mutilation - In A "Spiritual Paradise"? Awake Feb '06

by metatron 29 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    the pain comes back worse than before, but like any addiction, you keep doing it because the relief is, for a few moments, beautiful.

it is beautiful....(((tetra))) why is it that the things we love the most...so bad for us?

i'm proud to say that i haven't cut in over a year, but it's always there in the back of my mind. it's a crutch i'll always have if it ever gets too hard or the emotional pain is too much to bear. living w/ a warehouse manager doesn't make it much easier...boxcutters laying around the house EVERYWHERE....sometimes when i get too upset or nervous, i'll find myself picking at or scratching that spot on my arm. my left arm is so ugly...all the scars heaped up in that one spot. i'm thinking of getting a tattoo to cover it...something pretty and feminine...something that doesn't remind me.

to all who mutilate, or used to

luv, jojo

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

(((jojo)))

• M.J.
    M.J.

What drives cutting behavior? Does it necessarily come from severe emotional stress/trauma? A comment by jojo scared me a bit. my son has had eczema since infancy..it's mostly gone now but he'll go through periods where he'll still scratch an area of his arms to the point of bleeding (mostly while sleeping)...This happens when he is more stressed than normal such as when he is away from home. Overall he is extremely happy and healthy, but could this indicate he is at greater risk for cutting behavior?

• juni
    juni

Hi M.J,

I don't believe you should worry. He is probably only itching the eczema sites. Do you have some cream for the eczema? Cetaphil soap is wonderful too. Also, their no-fragrance lotion. But he might also need a RX. Take care. Juni

• juni
    juni

Best to you jo jo!! Tattoo sounds like a great idea. Juni

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    What drives cutting behavior? Does it necessarily come from severe emotional stress/trauma? A comment by jojo scared me a bit. my son has had eczema since infancy..it's mostly gone now but he'll go through periods where he'll still scratch an area of his arms to the point of bleeding (mostly while sleeping)...This happens when he is more stressed than normal such as when he is away from home. Overall he is extremely happy and healthy, but could this indicate he is at greater risk for cutting behavior?

ditto w/ juni on this one. cutting is usually a response to emotional pain or distress that we haven't been shown how to handle, or trying to take back control of your life. technically i believe everyone is at risk for some sort of self destructive behavior. it just varies from person to person. some people smoke, some drink, some do drugs, and some cut. it depends on the person. all in all...if your son is truly happy, i wouldn't worry. you could always talk to him. luv, jojo

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for the responses. It's just my protective dad instinct getting the better of me I guess. I'll try the Cetaphil soap. Haven't tried that one.

Sorry to distract from the main topic. Move along...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

JoJo - I just wanted to say congratulations on making it a year! I haven't yet managed a whole year since I started when I was 19, but on the other hand I can't remember the last time I did so thats cool! If I had to pick out which of the scars was the last one I wouldn;t be able to.

At my very worst I was hitting myself on the head with wine bottles trying to smash them and once stabbed myself in the left breast - just missing my heart and needed stitches. Its been since I did anything that bad so I feel I have made marked improvement.

love to all those who struggle with this problem first hand or as a pained observer.

• LDH
    LDH
    the Awake actually has some good things to say about the sitch. but really, they have no f-ing clue what in the sam-hell they are talking about.

Tet you hit the nail on the head. While they usually have some good 'encouraging' sentences to say, without a doubt the article ends with Jehovah taking care of everyone's needs in the new system.

Is there any advice to seek counseling? My girlfriend is a cutter, but only when on certain meds. Thank god she shows me when she is cutting so I can make her call her Dr.

And that's about the size of it. The Awake doesn't have any Licensed Psychologists or Psychiatrists and yet here they are ONCE AGAIN giving medical advice.

Disgusting.

Lisa

Empathy Class

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

Jo-Jo a tattoo sounds like a good idea.

My sister also a cutter (alot younger than me, never knew I did it till I found her unconcious down at the stables. I left home when she was 13 and went to Europe), I got her a tattoo cover the worst of the scars (scar tissue is a little hard for the tattoo artist to cover), she is now addicted to tattoos.

To the others out there lots of love to you. Stay strong

Tan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit