What were the reasons you would say it was "the truth"?

by DannyBloem 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

When my mother or I ask that to my father, he usually gets all worked up and starts enumerating the reasons, lifting one finger at a time as to show us how it must be true the more fingers are up. His speach normally goes like: "Well, it is the right religion, because we are the only ones who (lifts hands up): don't go to war, beleive Jesus is not God, preach, have congreations like the first christians, don't celebrate pagan holidays, don't take blood, are not voting"...etc. Sometimes he can find more. It's sad that he don't see that he's just running in a circle, because most of what he says is like saying, well, we are right because we follow what the WT says, and they are right for sure.

So I say....but Mormons preach, Jews don't celebrate the holidays (I think), most have congregations, it does't work because then he shows me all his finger, waving them around and says "but none of them have it ALL!"

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

When I first started studying, their explanations of the reasons for the state of the world seemed to make so much sense, and their idead for the future paradise were very appealing, and I swallowed it all. It also seemed like a good, clean way to live.

• ferret
    ferret

I think most of us just accepted what we were told and were to lazy to do our own research.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    A) What were the reasons when you were (or are) still a JW that you would SAY that "you were in the truth"?

I would say that they have love amongst themselves and only taught from the bible, and that no one else did that.

That they use the name jehovah.

If there was just about anything that churches did/didn't do that JW's did/didn't do, then that was another reason why it was the truth to me.

B) And what would you say now, that were the reasons that you thought it was the troof?

I thought it was the truth because they gave me answers for everything, whether I had questioned it or not. They filled my brain with answers to the point that I didn't have to think to question or research anything myself.

They stopped at no end to make sure I was sure of all things convinced it was the troof.

If any type of situation came up in life, they had reasons for it.

• justicehope
    justicehope

When I first learned about the hope of living on paradise earth forever, "the meek shall inherit the earth", "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as in heaven" etc. it made sense and was supported by the scriptures. It was like a glove that fit. The second thing that appealed to me was the political neutrality. I was a first generation immigrant. During WW11 we had Lutheran relatives from Chicago fighting Lutheran relatives in Germany. I knew God had to be disgusted with this behavior between Christians. Going along with the second point. I believe that God would want all people to know his purposes. "God is not partial". Preaching to people of all the nations is something he would want and would accomplish. After all man was never able to destroy the Bible no matter how hard they try! Those are the reasons I believe I had learned Bible truths. It saddens me that the politics of religion have hurt so many of us. What it does change is "the good news of the Kingdom"! That hope comes from God, not man.

• justicehope
    justicehope

When I first learned about the hope of living on paradise earth forever, "the meek shall inherit the earth", "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as in heaven" etc. it made sense and was supported by the scriptures. It was like a glove that fit. The second thing that appealed to me was the political neutrality. I was a first generation immigrant. During WW11 we had Lutheran relatives from Chicago fighting Lutheran relatives in Germany. I knew God had to be disgusted with this behavior between Christians. Going along with the second point. I believe that God would want all people to know his purposes. "God is not partial". Preaching to people of all the nations is something he would want and would accomplish. After all man was never able to destroy the Bible no matter how hard they try! Those are the reasons I believe I had learned Bible truths. It saddens me that the politics of religion have hurt so many of us. What it doesn't change is "the good news of the Kingdom"! That hope comes from God, not man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit