Raising Kids to be Cult Members!!!

by lisaBObeesa 29 Replies latest jw friends

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

lisa ... good post. First of all though "Curse of the Hippie Parents" was priceless!

Like I said before ... I agree with all the research you posted. Doing it another matter. It is especially easy to write a book about parenting, when you don't have kids jumping on the net getting advice from complete strangers. Worse when your kids are doing it and you don't know about it.

Everyone seems to agree with you that JW parenting is terrible. I'll have you know I turned out just fine. I admit I rebelled in my teen years but most worldly kids did too. Why does that seem like a foreign concept to all of you?

• TMS
    TMS

Retrospectively, we were lousy parents.

We provided every bit of stimulation and fun we possibly could, but within JW guidelines. That was not enough. We stifled development by insisting that the JW mold was the only acceptable one.

Stressing humility and service, we crushed ambition, creativity, competition, achievement, scholarship, recognition and leadership.

Especially distressing, my wife and I had the resources, energy and life-skills to have done better. It was our 100% devotion to a cultish belief system that sabotaged our parenting. We were "Building A Happy Family" with defective materials.

tms

• Valis
    Valis
    Everyone seems to agree with you that JW parenting is terrible.

the problem is that the concept of parenting actually changes with time. Much like JW prophecy BTW. But, when a parent sees no "new light", they end up not allowing their own children to lead their own lives. That is a plain and simple truth you cannot deny.

I admit I rebelled in my teen years but most worldly kids did too.

tsk tsk...JW parents raising a worldly child....

cult members also let their kids die as a "matter of conscience"...nice huh?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Like I said before ... I agree with all the research you posted. Doing it another matter.

What is your point?? You agree with the research, but....but what?? If you agree with the research, then you agree that being raised the "JW way" is harmful to children. There is no "but."

It is especially easy to write a book about parenting, when you don't have kids jumping on the net getting advice from complete strangers.

Do you think kids were kept locked in the house until they were 18 before the internet? Didn't you talk to people...at the mall, in the library, at the store, at school, at work....when you were are teenager? Didn't you read books? Teenagers talk to all kinds of people all the time, on-line and out in the real world, and parents can't stop that. And they SHOULDN'T stop it. Teenagers NEED to do that. It is part of a developmental need.

Worse when your kids are doing it and you don't know about it.

If you don't think your teenagers are talking to people about you (The parent) in an effort to vent and/or get advice, you are in denial. Period. And of course they are not going to tell you.

Everyone seems to agree with you that JW parenting is terrible. I'll have you know I turned out just fine.

You may and you may not have. I have no idea. This does not prove anything to me as I can't tell if you came out ok or not.

I admit I rebelled in my teen years but most worldly kids did too.

Again, what is your point? Kids in their teen years are SUPPOSED to rebel. That is a good, healthy thing!

The trouble is, JW kids are not allowed to do so. That is the abusive nature of beeing raised to be a cult member.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    In short, poorly adjusted individuals who are ?identity foreclosed? make excellent cult members(!!!!).

heh.

88%, eh? that's the best thing i've heard all day!

let's hear it for the brave, thoughtful pilgrim souls...

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    a friend in need: I'll have you know I turned out just fine.

If you want scriptural proofs of any Jehovah's Witness teachings, don't ask "a friend in need": http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/84617/1.ashx

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Retrospectively, we were lousy parents.

It will always haunt me in spite of the fact that my children understand why I was so harsh with them as a witness. You will hear people use silly phrases like, "train up a boy" or "spare the rod" or "mental regulating" to justify the way they treat their kids. It's a load of crap.

Fortunately, my grandchildren will not have to live through such abuses since I got my kids and myself out of that wacky religion.

Jean

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks for bumping this thread. It is a real gem.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

lisaBObeesa,

This is an excellent thread and deserves to be bumped. Thanks for putting a link to it in my thread.

Reopened Mind

• d
    d

THis is true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit