Tears, Outrage After Teacher Denies Santa Claus's Existence...

by Elsewhere 41 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

oldflame- It's you're right to answer your kids when asked and even otherwise...My thinking is that this is a teacher at a school where all kids probably aren't brought up to believe the same things and where teachers don't always personally agree with what some kids believe. BUT it's not a teacher's say to tell 1st graders what's true or not.

You know, when I was in the 3rd grade the teacher I had wanted us to do a math assignment sheet that had to do with Holloween. After building up my courage I went up to her and told her I couldn't do it. Her response was, YOU'LL DO IT OR YOU WON'T GET A GRADE--I'M SO SICK OF THIS JEHOVAH'S WITNESS" THIS AND THAT. I can understand her being frustrated but it really doesn't matter if she agreed or not...if she was in such strong disagreement she should have spoken to my mother...not taken it out on an 8 year old. It wasn't her say...I'm big on keeping principles but when you're teaching kids that don't believe the same (which is usual) you should suck it up...or if you have that big of a problem with it, excuse yourself from the room and inform the school officials you're leaving and why.

• trevor
    trevor

The difficulty is that children do not always grow out of the beliefs that they are told as children. they may get over Father Christmas but still cling to the other illusionary religious beliefs that surround it. How long did it take us to stop believing in a new world?

What is important is that a child knows it can always trust its parent/s to tell the truth. Many a child has been disillusioned to see their father sneak into their room at night pretending to be Father Christmas. The child then has to own up or go along with the pretence realizing that their father is trying to trick them. Many children have a happy Christmas without the need to be deceived.

My nephews all know where the presents come from and thank the people who have bought them. What is wrong with a child being told that the presents they receive at Christmas come from their parents or other people because they love them?

• LDH
    LDH
    If children are to be told that fantasy people/creatures do not exist and should not be 'seen', then it looks like Disney et al will be going out of business.

Exactly. The tooth fairy shouldn't visit your house either.

C'mon guys, it wasn't her place to deviate from the curriculum!!!!

Last night we went for a walk in a gorgeous neighborhood where the Christmas spirit is in full swing. Every year an older gentleman dresses like Santa and sits in his decorated garage for pictures with the children. Even the teenagers were out there, waiting their turn and I'm SURE they know Santa is make-believe.

Somebody called her right, a bitch.

Lisa

Fantasy is not Reality but it's still fun, Class

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    It's a nice thing to believe in...a guy going around giving kids presents without payment.

It would be only be nice if it was the truth, Under. But it's not. There is no guy or as oldflame said, a fat man in a red suit.

And there is payment. The children are told that they must be 'good' or santa WON'T bring them presents. What's that message???

It worries me that these might be the same adults who tell children that God will punish them if they're not 'good'.

• bebu
    bebu

Believing in Santa is completely different than following a cult!!

I don't make it my business to tell little kids that I think they are in a cult. Even if I'm convinced that it is. I have never taken the opportunities to undermine a parent that has done, in their conscience, what is best for their little children. With very few exceptions, it isn't my place.

...I did talk with an 11-year old boy, once, who still half-believed (his parents were Japanese and couldn't bring themselves to let him know... cause he was their only son, and in Japan only little children get gifts on Christmas. Neither he nor his parents really wanted to stop that sweet little tradition). I smiled nice and wide at him when he asked me, very innocent. I just looked up at the ceiling and hummed a little, refusing to answer while he demanded to know. When he "got" my hint that I was pleading the fifth but still giving away the answer, a crafty smile came on his face. He announced that he figured it out, but wasn't going to let on to his folks that he knew--so he could still get a gift. No angst here at all. It was actually pretty fun for him and me. I said to him, "Remember, I said nothing at all!"

Older children can understand that the fantasy was itself a gift, and they do not begrudge it when the reality is revealed (unless they are the sort whose pride overshadows everything else).

The woman is a dog in the manger. I think her popularity among students will come out next year, when parents request either that their child NOT have her, or that she NOT give any opinion of Santa. What a grinch.

bebu

• Bryan
    Bryan

By the time a child learns there is no Santa they are old enough that they do not have an emosional breakdown. Children should be alowed to play and dream. I think it's better to teach a child about a fat man who gives gifts than about the stories of Satan coming after them and the fear that Jehovah will kill them.

Come on... which is worse?!

Bryan

• Bryan
    Bryan

Willow

The children are told that they must be 'good' or santa WON'T bring them presents.

Eat your beans or you wont get desert...

Clean up your room or no movie...

Stop acting that way or we're going home....

A child hears this constantly. Think of something smart Willow.

Bryan

• lola28
    lola28

What a total Biotch!

She had no right to say anything to those kids, if the parents felt it was okay to let their children believe in Santa, she should have had enough respect in their parenting skills and stayed out of it. She can do whatever she wants with her kids but these children are not hers and she should have no say in what they believe in.

The kids would have figured it out sooner or later, but they are seven years old they should be able to believe in things like Santa without someone taking that away from them because she dosen't believe in it.

lola

• Bryan
    Bryan

I have not met one adult yet or adolesent who has issues because of being taught about Santa.

Bryan

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

When my daughter first went to school we got a telephone call from the principal. We have had complaints from parents - your child is going around telling other children there is no Santa Claus/Father Christmas. We had to tell her to stop being so honest with the other kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit