Tears, Outrage After Teacher Denies Santa Claus's Existence...

by Elsewhere 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I w onder if the teacher is a JW.

http://www.ldnews.com/fastsearchresults/ci_3334327

Grinchy remark sends kids home in tears

By RORY SCHULER
    Staff Writer
    Lebanon Daily News
    LICKDALE — Jamey Schaeffer stretched her mouth open wide, showing off a pair of twin gaps in her smile. With a mouthful of fingers, she said she has no interest in two front teeth for Christmas.

Instead, she’d like a Barbie doll from Santa Claus — and Santa Claus only.

But a substitute music teacher almost came between the 6-year-old and a Christmas Eve spent dancing cheek to cheek with sugar plums.

Theresa Farrisi stood in for Schaeffer’s regular music teacher one day last week. One of her assignments was to read Clement C. Moore’s famous poem, “A Visit from Saint Nicholas” to a first-grade class at Lickdale Elementary School.

“The poem has great literary value, but it goes against my conscience to teach something which I know to be false to children, who are impressionable,” said Farrisi, 43, of Myerstown. “It’s a story. I taught it as a story. There’s no real person called Santa Claus living at the North Pole.”

Farrisi doesn’t believe in Santa Claus, and she doesn’t think anyone else should, either. She made her feelings clear to the classroom full of 6- and 7-year-olds, some of whom went home crying.

Schaeffer got off the school bus later that day, dragging her backpack in the mud, tears in her angry little eyes.

“She yelled at me, ‘Why did you lie?’” recalled Jamey’s mother, Elizabeth. “‘Why didn’t you tell me Santa Claus died?’”

Elizabeth Schaeffer said she was appalled by Farrisi’s bluntness.

“I had to call the school,” said Schaeffer, a part-time custodial employee for the school district who is on temporary leave after complications from her last child’s birth. “I had to do something.”

Meanwhile, Farrisi, who is well versed on the history of “Santa Claus” — the traditional and literary figure — clarified her comments.

“I did not tell the students Santa Claus was dead,” she explained. “I said there was a man named Nickolas of Myrna who died in 343 A.D., upon whom the Santa Claus myth (is based).”

On Monday night, Jamey started to recite Moore’s famous poem while sitting on a couch next to a freshly cut tree, trimmed in tinsel and topped with a golden star: “’Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house. No creatures stirred.”

She paused, looked up, and said that’s when the teacher interjected, just a few lines before the verse that announces the arrival of “a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.”

“The teacher stopped reading and told us no one comes down the chimney,” Jamey said, curling into a ball on the couch, bracing her chin on her knees, her voice shrinking away like melting ice cream. “She said our parents buy the presents, not Santa.”

Sharing in the belief of Santa Claus is a very special event in the Schaeffer home. Jamey’s the second youngest of five children. The three oldest have already grown up and left the family nest. Only Jamey and her 18-month-old sister, Amanda, remain.

Last year, Elizabeth Schaeffer recalled, Santa left a trail of boot prints in charred ashes from his feet-first landing in the fireplace. And this year, the family will continue their tradition of leaving him a plate of cookies, a tall glass of milk and a ripe, shaved carrot for Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.

The Schaeffer family wasn’t the only one taken aback by Farrisi’s approach to Santa.

Tim and Beth Rittle said they found their 7-year-old daughter, Holly, in tears in the back seat of their car after they picked her up from school that day.

“All of a sudden, Holly just started crying,” Beth Rittle said. “She said she had a substitute in music class, and she told the class there’s no such thing as Santa Claus.”

Schaeffer and Rittle both called Northern Lebanon School District Superintendent Don L. Bell.

Since the issue involves personnel, Bell said Monday, there is little he can say about the incident, adding that it has not been determined if any disciplinary action is warranted against Farrisi.

Bell said he was aware that several parents have expressed concerns about the incident.

He also noted that the handling of Santa Claus isn’t covered in the school code.

“We do not have a Santa Claus policy,” he said. “It’s unfortunate, but I really can’t say anything about it.”

Farrisi said she considered approaching the school’s administration with her concerns about how to handle Santa Claus in class. Instead, she said, she decided to add a disclaimer to her lesson.

“Those same children are going to know someday that what their parents taught them is false,” she ex-plained. “There is no Santa Claus.”

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Schaeffer was carefully thinking about her next step. She decided to make a photocopy of editor Francis P. Church’s famous response to a little girl, who wrote to The New York Sun many decades ago, asking the same question Schaeffer’s daughter struggled with last week.

“I mailed (Farrisi) a copy of ‘Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus,’” she said, giggling with satisfaction. “I wish I could be there when she opens it.”

As for Jamey, in an attempt to reaffirm her spot on Santa’s nice list, she drew up a new letter in bright red magic marker, a message destined for the Santa she refuses to abandon.

“Dear Santa ... How is the North Pole?” she said, reading her letter loudly and proudly. “How is Mrs. Claus? You are Great. From Jamey.”

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Some parents agonize over whether to do the Santa thing with their kids or not. Are we lying to our kids, or just playing a very long-term game of make-believe?

Then, in a single stroke, this teacher takes it upon herself to do this. Nice, very nice. *angry smiley*

So, what do you figure her front lawn is going to look like this year? I can only imagine what a school-load of outraged parents will do...

Dave of the "long term make-believe" class

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Were those children crying because their teacher told the truth or because their parents lied to them?

• searcher
    searcher

If children are to be told that fantasy people/creatures do not exist and should not be 'seen', then it looks like Disney et al will be going out of business.

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

I think the cultural custom of convincing children that Santa Claus exists, to the point where they are emotionally devastated when learning the truth, is one of the stupidest practices of all time. I have no sympathy for the custom whatsoever and I applaud this teacher being willing to risk the wrath of misguided parents.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

LOL, the teacher was probably an atheist. man, we are such party-poopers!

• glitter
    glitter

What a cruel bitch.

When my mum became a JW and told me we wouldn't be having Christmas anymore she made sure I understood I wasn't to go telling my friends there was no Father Christmas. If a four year old can grasp that it's wrong to ruin Christmas for little kids, then why can't this woman? Yep, a cruel bitch.

• trevor
    trevor

This reminds me of what I was told when I said that the Watchtower Society was not teaching the truth. 'Even if it’s not the truth you have no right to upset your family by telling them you don‘t believe it.’

My father in law said, ‘even if it’s not the truth - it’s a great club to belong to!’

I guess many people want to hang on their illusions and telling the truth is a crime.

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    Were those children crying because their teacher told the truth or because their parents lied to them?

Thats the important question, the one that everyone, especially parents, need to consider. Children are taught that lying is bad, yet adults think nothing of perpetuating the lie that santa brings them gifts for being 'good'. Same as teaching children never to talk to strangers and candy is bad for their health. Then the adults encourage them to beg candy (treats) from strangers on Halloween. The list goes on -- easter bunny, tooth fairy, birthdays etc No wonder the children cry.... how confusing and disappointing to see what hypocrites the adults are.

• under74
    under74

give me a break...you know...deep sigh...I'm and athiest. I don't believe in Santa and never did because I was brought up a JW. But what the hell is the problem with 1st graders believing in make-believe? It's BS in blaming parents or comparing it to lying or comparing it to the WTS. It's a nice little dream little kids should be able to induldge in BECAUSE THEY'RE LITTLE KIDS. They grow out of it soon enough, why not just let them enjoy themselves as kids rather than killing all the magic before the age of 12?

Jesus, I wish I could have believed in that stuff instead of having all the imagination attempted to be crushed out of me and my soul broken by the WTS and it's followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit