Myths of the 'scientific method' exposed

by Shining One 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shining One
    Shining One

>Wow there's some 'myths' you got exposed there. Or was it just your ignorance? It's sad how people still dependant on 'faith' are desperate to justify their system of beliefs.
    It's sad how people are so afraid that by their belief in evolution being shown as false will cause them to see their accountability to God.
    > Faced with almost daily reports of progress in understanding of evolutionary biology they need to go out of their way
    Faced with almost daily discoveries that expose evolution as false the intellectual elite ban all other theories from the classrooms.....
    >and solicit 3rd party confirmation of their middle-age views. Now, hit me with a Boeing 747 and that awfuly complex mouse trap.
    You really need a spell checker and the understanding that Behe's mousetrap analogy shows the idiocy of 'talk origins' assertions.
    Rex

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    The MOST Christian religious country has far outstripped the rest of the world in technology and is now hated for it by the have nots and despots. America has freed and redeemed more of humanity with its brand of 'imperialism', yet the hate is directed more at us than at anyone except the Jews.

For the most part, Americans are not hated for their technology. It is their lack of acceptance of Islam that ticks them off.

Moreover, was it the "most christian" segment of America that brought about this huge increase in technology? It is simply a fact that the higher level of your education, the less likely you are to believe in god. There are exceptions to this of course (I don't have a college education) but statistically this is true. It is also true that statistically speaking, technology advances on the brains of those that have college educations. So it would follow that the more godless among us are also those that are advancing technology. Moreover, the more of us that wind up with a godless viewpoint, the faster technology can advance.

How much further along would medicine be today if stem cell research was not decried by religionists?

Would AIDS be as prevalent if religion didn't forbid birth control?

What if all the money and time and energy spent on religion was instead diverted to breast cancer research? Or birth defect prevention?

Far from being a helper to science, science would rejoice if religion got out of its way.

Dave

• FSMonster
    FSMonster

Shining One:

You are forgetting one important detail: this is a website for and by ex-jw's. Having been one myself (spent several years as a drone) I have the advantage over you of having bought all the usual arguments for creation that Watchtower so eagerly borrowed from the ID movement. They even quote Micheal Behe in their 'Creator' book ("Is There A Creator Who Cares About You" - by WTBTS). I have been firmly where you are right now. If fact, I used to argue some of stuff you mention almost word-for-word because I got it from similar sources. I was a good parrot...
    So one of the fundamental, gross missunderstanding that I was so privy to was that 'science is just another religion' and its findings are based on faith. And you actually have the nerve to bring in the 'bias'? I see bias as a defining word of a religious mind. It's a must!
    You see, I like the word 'doubt' myself. Doubt is the basis of all scientific progress and it's a prerequisite. Peer review and meticulous scrutiny, not dogmatism.

I must admit though, this is not something you could 'read up' on in a week. Believe what you wish, it's your business but if you're desperate to reconcile your faith with contradicting stream of ever-increasing scientific data favorable to evolution, then perhaps you need to re-examine your spirituality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit