What's your expierence at a DUB wedding/reception?

by stillAwitness 29 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    family speeches

I think they meant at the reception. The only people who speak at the wedding are the speaker, the groom, the bride, and some times the father of the bride (who gives this...)

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

Pot Luck Buffet........Yuuuck!

• bailabklyn
    bailabklyn

GReendawn, you are SO right. JWs do not move their hips when they dance. Talk about sexually repressed!

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Great responses! Brought back some memories of my own! So true about how the sisters would dance afraid to shake "what they mama gace them"

I never allow a brother to dance with me. Just to be stubborn. I detest how they all act so damn sweet and all gentle-man like and yet they can't seem to keep their eyes off my chest.

Ah yes! Looks like it will be a long night. Perhaps 2 bottles shall due. And a bigger purse.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Wow- I'm just suprised that any JWs were allowed to have booze at their weddings. I thought it was forbidden! I've been to quite a few Dub weddings and it boiled down to being a fancy potluck. Tons of food, no booze, and if there was dancing it was to the Kingdom Melodies (doesn't that just inspire romantic warm fuzzies???). As a kid they were fun, something different with cake involved. Now as an adult and having gone to normal weddings... I couldn't imagine spending all that money on a dress for a Elder-policed potluck.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

First time I got drunk was at a Witness wedding reception when I was 14 years old.

• Es
    Es

I just had my "Worldly" reception and compared to my first JW reception it was a hoot.

This time i through my bouquet, had the garter tossing, drank lots, danced lots to dance music and not boring christian melodies hehehe.

It wont be the best of times but hey free food and clothes.

es

• Think
    Think

I was feeling very uneasy, sad, confused.

Something was missing. Everybody was acting like manekin.

Sad, sad experience. No FUN at all.

I am sorry I have to say that. But I was also on so called "wordly" weedding. 180 degrees difference !!! FUN FU FUN !

• atypical
    atypical

My experience: Well, here's one. At my mother-in-laws wedding reception - At this point I was an active jw, but with a severe attitude. All of my wife's relatives were there. None of them were witnesses. One had dreadlocks halfway down his back; several of them were covered in tattoos, most of them were smoking. All of them were nice people to hang out with. The wedding was dry, so we bought a bottle of rum and kept it in my truck. We would get a glass of coke and then take it to the car to spike. I made a point to stand with this group and hand out with them. Nobody from our congregation came over to introduce themselves, but I got plenty of nasty looks. One elder followed us when we went to the car to spike our drinks.

Two elders together made sarcastic comments about my dress (I had stripped my dress shirt and tie down to my t-shirt) and about our "drinks" to me for everyone to hear, including all of my wife's relatives that I was hanging out with. There was only three people who came over and acted like the entire group deserved to be treated with some respect, and I am still friends with all three of them. That wedding was the beginning of my fade, and it was also the beginning of my bad name with the elders in my old hall.

• sandy
    sandy

My heart breaks for you elsewhere. I'm sure you expected the treatment and have come to terms with it but it is still heart breaking.

Some weddings were fun, some boring as hell. I guess hell wouldn't be boring.

The beest weddings I've attended were in my early teenage years dubs and worldly weddings.

I remember one wedding I went to, an elder (I think he was an elder at the time) and his wife decided to walk home about a mile from the home where the reception was being held because they were drunk out of their minds.

This elder was always being "pushed down" from his elder thrown for him and his wife's drinking habits. LOL

He either hided his drunken self very well now or really is on the wagon. He's been an elder without interruption for the past 8 years or more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit