What's your expierence at a DUB wedding/reception?

by stillAwitness 29 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I'm invited to wedding/reception tomorrow (On Christmas-naturally) Only reason I'm going is because its my one chance to get new shoes, dress, the whole bit at my mother's expense (since she seems to think I will find my future middle-aged elder husband at one of these functions)

I definetly plan to buy one of those mini-bottles of Seagrams and get buzzed of course.

Who wants to listen to 10 different speeches from family and friends about "how wonderful this spiritual union is of so and so) YAWN!

What makes DUB wedding receptions so different anyway? I sometimes see the servers and wedding planners looking around like "why do I feel like I'm at church?"

How have you seen DUB weddings planned differently from location, receptions, music and so on?

Even to the kiss! Don't they always give like a quick peck when they give the "You may now kiss the Bride" Like its inappropriate or something to really give em a good smooch. I was at one wedding at the hall and the husband was all shy about kissing her and everyone in the audience was like: "kiss" How sad is that!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Pretty boring affairs, and I always feel sad to see two young people so bound up in that ...well you know what.

They can vary between the very simple to being quite ornate . it seemed out of place to have lavish bridal dress and a string of bridesmaids in a poky Kingdom Hall that you could hardly swing a cat in.

The family speeches are usually interminable, but I have never been to a "worldly " wedding so I cannot compare .Entertainment usually consists of family games , no worldly music , food is variable ... I have never seen a public "You may now kiss the bride", Yuk..

These events are best given a miss, IMHO

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

YES - most tend to be very boring - though I did go to one with a free bar - that was good -wealthy parents of course

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Really Blues?

The ones I go to they've got "wordly music" But nothing worse than some Ray Charles and the Electric Slide.

Heaven forbid someone pop in Usher's "Yeah"

• Smoky
    Smoky

I have experiaced some pretty good wedding receptions (Cerimonies are a bore allright) Open Bar, everyone getting lit-up, everyone is happy and smiling, talking, eating, drinkin, and dancing to what ever with the usual line dance.

I dont think it changes a whole lot (other than the Toast, garter & bouque toss). But every culture is a liitle different (mine is hispanic).

smoky

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was invited to my sister's wedding, but because I DAed I was *instructed* to stay by myself in a corner. I'm not kidding! I was literally pointed to a corner!

Yeah, right! I'll let the other JWs decide on their own whether or not they want to talk to me, and many did! My dad had "warned" me that many there did not know I was DAed, so I ventured out to find these people. They were also the ones who were smart enough not to get baptized. We all had a great time chatting before and after the wedding.

After most everyone left to meet up at the reception the photographer started taking to post-wedding pics where they have different groups from the family pose for photographs. They were very careful to *name* everyone who was to be in each photograph, and of course by sheer coincidence they always seemed to forget me. Basically they did not want any photographs of their son and brother. Now, there was one photograph where they messed up and said something like "now all the guys", so I stepped into the group and the photo was taken. I have to wonder if they decided it was a "keeper" or not.

Lets go back in time a bit... before everyone went to the reception. I kept asking around where the reception was and *everyone* would answer "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" or some other answer that resulted in my not being told where it was. It was quite amazing! Here we had well over 100 people going to the same reception but NONE of them seemed to know where it was! One finally slipped up and told me, so I was able to find the reception.

Once I arrived an elder from my old congregation stepped up with a big grin and asked how I was doing. I smiled and said I was great. After we exchanged a few pleasantries he promptly sped off and made a B-Line for my dad (also a life-long elder) and started talking while a few other elders gathered around and joined in. While this was going on I placed my wedding gift on the gift table and started on my way to find a seat. That's when my dad and another elder suddenly blocked my path and *instructed* me to leave.

I looked at my dad and said "Dad, they've got you" while touching my head with my finger and turned around and walked out.

I passed my little sister on the way out the door and she asked where I was going. I just said "I've got to leave". She asked why and I said, looking back at my dad: "I've just got to leave."

Apparently it is ok for me to show up for the wedding and leave an expensive gift, but after that I must leave. I suspect they used the rule about not eating with fornicators, adulterers, etc... none of which I was guilty of.

That is my experience with a JW wedding.

• Purza
    Purza

I always had fun at JW weddings. I mean, it was one of the few times we could actually get together as a group and dance! The talks are ALWAYS boring and very long, but I generally had fun at receptions.

My mother used to be disgusted when some couples would share a hot and heavy kiss in front of everyone. Whatever. One of the more entertaining kisses that I saw was this one woman who offered her new husband her cheek in order to not mess up her lipstick. Pretty funny. They are divorced now -- go figure.

Have fun when you go and definitely have more than one bottle of booze.

Purza

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    this one woman who offered her new husband her cheek in order to not mess up her lipstick. Pretty funny. They are divorced now -- go figure.

I suspect that's all she EVER gave him.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    That's when my dad and another elder suddenly blocked my path and *instructed* me to leave.

If they had any integrity™ at all they should not have accepted a gift from you. Shame on them for treating you like that!

W

• blondie
    blondie

Some JW wedding receptions were fun, some weren't. Same with non-JW ones, some were, some weren't. I have been to Catholic and Protestant church weddings too, boring, too much tradition. Only one that was really fun was a non-denominational one where the bride and groom wrote their own vows.

The good ones had good, live music and dancing.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit