Thursday night meeting woes(self sufficiency and blood)

by FaithfulDoubter 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie
    For the last few years the #2 has been either from a WT or the Bible. It looks like the 2006 school schedule is only from the Bible.

Blindersoff, that is interesting. So they decided that having someone read the WT for 4 minutes wasn't beneficial. I used to wonder if how much of it was "bible-based" if they only read the snippets and the occasional quoted scripture. So it is back to Bible readings. Will they be adding back in an introduction and a conclusion by the bible reader?

Blondie (thought that reading the WT for the #2 talk was a bunch of crap)

km 10/04 p. 3 Theocratic Ministry School Schedule for 2005 ***
    ASSIGNMENT NO. 2: 4 minutes. This is a reading to be given by a brother. The reading will usually be from the Bible. Once a month this assignment will cover material drawn from The Watchtower. The student should read the assigned material without giving an introduction or a conclusion. From week to week, the amount of material to be read will vary slightly but should take four minutes or less. The school overseer should look over the material before making the assignments, matching such to the age and ability of the students. The school overseer will be especially interested in helping students to read with understanding, fluency, proper sense stress, modulation, appropriate pausing, and naturalness.
  • Honesty
    Honesty
    The #4 part was about "Why we recognize sin for what it is", which was completely unrelated to the material covered in the reasoning book. (Well, not completely, but mostly.)

He used the scripture how all are sinners, but then turned it to the world instead of showing why even JW need Christ's ransom. It is always us vs them.

The dubs don't need Jesus because they have the FDS to love, adore and worship.

• greendawn
    greendawn

FD I empathise with your position you have to follow something that is not correct in your understanding, so just get your fading away going and try to make non JW friends in that fading period.

Their self sufficiency means in fact being frugal. Minimise your expenses to have more time to serve the borg, I think that is what they are getting at.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Blondie

Will they be adding back in an introduction and a conclusion by the bible reader?

Still no intro or conclusion

B

• joelbear
    joelbear

no introduction or conclusion? just reading? no thinking about what the scripture was about?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> no introduction or conclusion? just reading? no thinking about what the scripture was about?

I was still in when they started that crap. Talk about a useless part. Even if you feel the Bible is worthwhile, what good does it do to tear through a whole chapter with NO application, no discussion, nothing?

I have to admit, your carrying the blood card scares me. Are you sure it's necessary to keep up appearances? You don't think you can get away with "I lost it, I'll have to get a new one" or anything like that? Unless you really wouldn't want them to use blood on you, that is. But if you are currently uncertain, it would be horrid tragedy if you were unconscious and DIED because the doctors believed you actually held the position described on the card you were carrying.

Dave

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This meeting went pretty normal for me. They had me give the prayer! The brother that gave the last part hates giving prayer and allways asks me to do it. Made a special effort NOT to thank God for the Society. Afterwards a brother told me I should be up there more often. He said this twice and walked away. What does that mean? Oh Well, gotta love it. It's great, they don't have a clue about me.

• luna2
    luna2
    The student should read the assigned material without giving an introduction or a conclusion

Okay then...so this is like reading practice. Lovely. Guess its nicer for the moms and/or dads who were having to write the introductions and conclusions for their kids anyhow. Must make the older brothers assigned to this part feel pretty silly...or maybe not...now they can do the thing with almost no prep at all. Ah, the educational value of the Theocraptic Misery School, equivalent to a...hmmm...2nd grade education.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I was still in when they started that crap. Talk about a useless part. Even if you feel the Bible is worthwhile, what good does it do to tear through a whole chapter with NO application, no discussion, nothing?

Maybe they think they'll get fewer cancellations that way. I was always cancelling my talks and readings. Sometimes I just didn't show up.

W

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    after 6 months, if I want to keep family peace, I gotta figure out a way to gracefully fade

If you want to fade, one of the best routes is to change congregations. Start going to one that is as far from the "old" hall as possible. Is there a good friend from college who will graduate when you do?

Could the two of you share expenses and be roomates? You could tell your parents you found a nice "room" for rent. This way they will just assume that the non-JW friend has only a business relationship with you.

To make it all seem justified, go job hunting really close the the new neighborhood you want to move into. Many companies take college grads right out of school. Tell your parents as soon as you get settled you'll look for the hall nearest your new address (look for the hall isn't the same as go to the hall.)

Anyway, that's one way i'd go about it.

YC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit