Thursday night meeting woes(self sufficiency and blood)

by FaithfulDoubter 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FaithfulDoubter
    FaithfulDoubter

As yours trully is still attending meeting, I thought I might vent a little on what going on.

I got there late, so I missed the first part.

First talk, about how we know the Bible is authentic, and the sources its based on. Ok, fine to sit through that. I then slept through the Bible highlights, and reading of the watchtower. (I don't know why they don't keep the Bible reading anymore...)

Then, there was a part(#3) on self-sufficiency. Apparently, self sufficiency is NOT being able to support yourself, but instead being satisfied with ONLY THE BASICS. I can understand the value of both, but redefining terms like this just irks me! Anyone else find this definition of self-sufficiency just odd?

The #4 part was about "Why we recognize sin for what it is", which was completely unrelated to the material covered in the reasoning book. (Well, not completely, but mostly.)

Sang the song.

Next part pretty inocculus stuff about being friendly to people and adaptable in the ministry. Tried to comment, but never got called on. (Gotta keep up appearances ya know)

Last part: the blood issue. Long discussion by a brother I really don't like. I tried to really, but the guy just rubs me wrong. Anyway, they are going on and on about how to coach, errr.... train, a child to defend the faith when it comes to the blood issue. End result is that the family is going to have a study in re to how to handle the blood issue at the hospital.... I still have a blood card on me, just because my folks would be far to suspicious if I didn't. Well, that and I'm still undecided in regards as to whether or not they are right on the blood issue. My current feeling is that they aren't.

Anyway, I don't know if I can take another 6 months worth of meetings. I'm pulling my hair out as it is. And even after 6 months, if I want to keep family peace, I gotta figure out a way to gracefully fade.... Oh what a tangled web we weave.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

FD

We are in the same boat trying to hang on until we can fade.

The opening prayer --"very few in the world understand about FDS , spiritual food, etc.

The #4 part was about "Why we recognize sin for what it is", which was completely unrelated to the material covered in the reasoning book. (Well, not completely, but mostly.)

He used the scripture how all are sinners, but then turned it to the world instead of showing why even JW need Christ's ransom. It is always us vs them.

Closing prayer--"When young ones make these right decisions (no blood) it reflects well on you, our leader Jesus. Your organization.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Wait a minute... BEEP BEEP BEEP... (my back up beepers.) They read the WATCHTOWER now instead of the BIBLE READING???? WTF??? When did this happen?

• Odrade
    Odrade

ooops, just call that "G" for repetition...

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

For the last few years the #2 has been either from a WT or the Bible. It looks like the 2006 school schedule is only from the Bible.

B

• Odrade
    Odrade

*rolls eyes* anything they can do to phase out ACTUAL use of the bible...

• blindersoff
    blindersoff
    Anyway, I don't know if I can take another 6 months worth of meetings. I'm pulling my hair out as it is.

FD---I usually take something interesting to read & it mostly keeps my mind off the nonsense.

B

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Faithfuldoubter have you talked to Skyman about the blood issue? He has done some very well put together research using only the bible. I found it very insightful. If you are still somewhat unsure you may want to consider sending him a PM and asking him to take a look at it, I'm sure he'd be happy to share it with you. Some of it has been posted a few times here I think already but the threads escape me offhand.

Have you considered getting two blood cards? One blank that you can keep with you and the other filled out in front of them. If you just have it in your wallet where its visible you could probably get away with that, but it would be a risk. Depends how important it is to you I guess. Or keep the card you have but invalidate it. Write no across it in red, cross out your stance on blood in the directive, etc. (Be sure to date and initial these changes if you are trying to invalidate your stance)

I know listening to their crap while fading sucks, but think of it this way -- you are critically considering the material which is something no one else is doing. This if nothing else should cement in your mind that you are making the right decision. Hang in there.

• Gill
    Gill

That's interesting FD! They don't do the Bible reading, but the Watchtower instead.

That's extra brainwashing for you!!! Repetition, repetition, repetition..........

• Golf
    Golf

FD, thanks for letting me know what I'm not missing. Just think of the money your saving on haircuts by pulling them out yourself, ha ha.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit