Depression, Holidays & JW's

by oldflame 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oldflame
    oldflame

When you were a witness did you get depressed around the Holidays ? Tell me what your feelings were then and now.

• luna2
    luna2

First few years as a JW holidays were depressing, mostly because I had kids and I hated that they were forced to miss out on the fun stuff. If it hadn't been for the boys, I wouldn't have minded much at all as I found it a very stressful time of year...mostly due to my inability to stand up to relatives and set my own standards for celebrating. I did get tired of all the nit picky JW bullsh*t, however. Loved how many of the "friends" would invite others over for a turkey dinner on Christmas day, but the weren't "celebrating" or anything. Uh huh.

Now, I'm out in the world again, I'm determined to make it a relaxed and truly happy time of year. I can say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and not feel like I'm stabbing Jehoohaa in the back, I can put up decorations, I can send cards (not back into the swing of that yet, however), I can put money in the Salvation Army bucket, I can go to dinner with my family, I can go on vacation, or anything else my little heart desires. Its nice.

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

Never depressed as I knew (in the sense I had been bought up a JW and knew no different) I wasn t missing out on anything, and when you rationalize christmas like the dubs do, it makes sense. However upon leaving I found the concept intriguing and thus sought to find the real meaning of this event. What I m talking about here is the giving of gifts and goodwill to all part, and I believe I found something of great merit in christmas. That when you give a gift to a person, you must think of what that person may want or need, and to do this you have to think about that person and their likes and dislikes, thus providing a gift to be pleasing to them. It makes you think of people. And I find thats the meaning of christmas, you make time for those you cherish or are close to you, when otherwise its hard to find the time for such. This is my 5 th christmas this year and I m over all my slight hang ups I had about it. Its a good time to realise that its those that mean the most to you, desreve your thoughts.

By the way did I mention Saturnalia?

• oldflame
    oldflame

Luna2,

Thats funny because my folks did the same thing, it was on a Thanksgiving holiday and they got a turkey and invited several dubs over for dinner. I asked my mom why they were doing that and she simply stated that the turkey was cheap. What a hunk of bullshit that was, I never swallowed that crap.

• SallySue
    SallySue
    Never depressed as I knew (in the sense I had been bought up a JW and knew no different) I wasn t missing out on anything, and when you rationalize christmas like the dubs do, it makes sense. However upon leaving I found the concept intriguing and thus sought to find the real meaning of this event. What I m talking about here is the giving of gifts and goodwill to all part, and I believe I found something of great merit in christmas. That when you give a gift to a person, you must think of what that person may want or need, and to do this you have to think about that person and their likes and dislikes, thus providing a gift to be pleasing to them. It makes you think of people. And I find thats the meaning of christmas, you make time for those you cherish or are close to you, when otherwise its hard to find the time for such. This is my 5 th christmas this year and I m over all my slight hang ups I had about it. Its a good time to realise that its those that mean the most to you, desreve your thoughts.

GREAT THOUGHT - happy to repeat it...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

I didn't get too depressed until I got older. Then it was my birthday that depressed me more than anything. Eventually Christmas came to depress me and I would spend it considering suicide. Now I just consider it all the time. Why limit myself to once a year, that's what I say.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Depressed over the Christmas season, no. How can one be depressed over something that you never did ?

However when I go to the stores at this time of year(something I try to avoid) I see all sorts of depressed,angry shoppers just FILLED with that holiday spirit. You all know the kind I'm talking about.

Bah Humbug !

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

How can you be depressed over something you never did? Ask a lonely virgin.

• alias
    alias

Then: depressed

Now: depressed

alias
    when will I be free class

• Purza
    Purza
    Thats funny because my folks did the same thing, it was on a Thanksgiving holiday and they got a turkey and invited several dubs over for dinner. I asked my mom why they were doing that and she simply stated that the turkey was cheap.

My mother said the same exact thing! I think she missed not having her big family around.

Fast forward to when I was a single parent and still a JW (born and raised in). I would get depressed around christmas time and I can't really say why. I would go visit my single JW aunt using the excuse "I have the time off" probably because I wanted that sense of family.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit