need help from all ex j.w's please

by miss_ellie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• miss_ellie
    miss_ellie

this question was the source of many arguments btween me and my ex...as usual he had an answer for everthing an i was left feeling like a bad person and that my christmas was phony and fake!!! so i just want a few other peoples perspectives if you dont mind because when i visit this site and hear peoples stories i guess it gives me hope that j.w isnt the only religion and one day he may find his way out!!! also because i feel sane here!!!!

when you were a j.w why were you taught to not celebarte christmas? also is there fact behind there teachings?

did you ever feel left out at this festive season and what did you think of others that celebrated?(i.e worldly friends, relatives, spouses.)

and if you have now found the real truth about the truth..do you celebrate christmas and why?

thanks elles x

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Welcome miss-ellieWHY-Jehovah's Witnesses don't do Christmas I was born Jehovah's Witness 1957 3rd generation.Yup,we didn't celebrate Christmas and were miserable the rest of the year too. The reason JW's don't do Christmas is because their Watchtower leaders say so,the holiday has pagan aspects to it and by rejecting it the Watchtower appears "pure". This "demand for purity" is one of the 8 marks of a cult.NOW the Watchtower can use this purity diversion to distract from their own practice of wicked deeds. -Danny

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Because its a pagen holiday, and no proof jesus was born on that day. Yes, I always felt left out. And yes again, I celebrate it now, mainly because I love to watch my kids open their gifts!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I was taught that October is Jesus's Birthday- AND more importantly, SHEPHERDS were tending their flock - and they would NOT have been during December.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Hi ellie -

I was raised as a witness almost from birth and left when I was in my early 20's. The only reasons I remember being repeated was that it was not really Jesus' birthday(newsflash on this once I left is that this is not the little known fact that we were taught it was- it is widely known that the actual day is unknown), and birthdays were wrong to celebrate anyways(also no basis in scripture), and that we were commanded to celebrate His death not his birth(a technicality because his birth is not addressed at all, so it is a massive assumption that just because we were commanded to observe his death that observing his birth is taboo). Oh, and the requisite "pagan origins" was also thrown in there somewhere. The only verifiable fact behind any of those was that Dec 25 is not his real birthday and that some Christmas traditions used to be part of pagan celebrations and were incorporated into Christmas when the people who began them became christian ( the yule log, for one)

I always felt INCREDIBLY left out of the celebrations. I loved the music, decorations, and overall happy mood that prevailed. I had a few friends that used to get me presents and I resented not being able to return a gift to them. I hated not being able to share that time with my relatives, particularly my grandparents, who died just as I was making my exit-- I so wish I could have shared one holiday or birthday with them.

I celebrate Christmas now because 1)there is no scriptural basis for NOT celebrating it. 2) It is a time to show family and friends how much you care about them and their presence in your life(just like birthdays). 3) Because I adore the joy I see in my children's faces and it reminds me that they will never have to experience what I did.

Hope that helps!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> i guess it gives me hope that j.w isnt the
    >> only religion and one day he may find his
    >> way out!!! also because i feel sane here!!!!

When JW's are examined in the light of day, they turn out to be just another religion. Plenty of folks have left it and gone on to enjoy some other religion, Christian or otherwise. So your hope is well-founded!

>> when you were a j.w why were you taught to not celebarte
    >> christmas?
    >> also is there fact behind there teachings?

Depends on what you mean by "fact". They teach that if a practice originated with false worshippers ("pagans"), and was a part of their false worship, then Christians shouldn't participate in it. This is an opinion, but it is treated by JW's as an irrefutable fact.

They then show that Christmas has pagan origins. This is almost surely true. The date, the holly, the wreaths, the evergreen tree, can all find their roots in pagan worship. Of course, no one doing it today thinks of it that way.

And JW's themselves don't exactly follow that logic, either. They still wear wedding rings and enjoy banging around a pinata, both of which find their origins in pagan religious practices.

It is such a sin to celebrate it that you can be disfellowshipped (shunned by all other JW's, including family) if you do celebrate it. (I know, that's what I was disfellowshipped for, and why my in-law's will no longer speak to me.)

>> did you ever feel left out at this festive season
    >> and what did you think of others that celebrated?
    >> (i.e worldly friends, relatives, spouses.)

No, because I thought I was pleasing God. When a person thinks they are doing something for God, there isn't much they aren't willing to do. Even die. Even kill. (Think 9-11 pilots)

>> and if you have now found the real truth about
    >> the truth..do you celebrate christmas and why?

Yes, I and my family now do. I'm an atheist, I do it because it's fun and it's traditional. I find that following traditions makes me feel connected to the community and my history.

My wife is a pagan, sort of shamanistic/eclectic. She calls it "Gina-ism". :-) She enjoys Christmas for the same reasons as me, but also BECAUSE of its pagan roots.

There is little doubt that some pagan somewhere down the line got on his knees and prayed to Molech. Does that mean Christians today shouldn't pray on their knees? The Watchtower makes a mistake in logic when they say that if a pagan did something for a certain reason, anyone else doing it must also be doing it for that reason. It isn't logical or reasonable, but it's their take on it.

Merry Christmas!

Dave

• miss_ellie
    miss_ellie

thanks or the replies everyone,im so happy that you can celebrate and enjoy the festive period...i have so many fond memories that your children will grow up to have and pass onto their children!!!! just today i went with my mum to get our tree...its tradition that we go to delamere forest always has been....and i felt about 5 years old all exited trying to find the perfect tree!!! even the guys who wprk for the forestry commission were full of xmas cheer!!!

ellie x

• kls
    kls
    did you ever feel left out at this festive season and what did you think of others that celebrated?(i.e worldly friends, relatives, spouses.)

and if you have now found the real truth about the truth..do you celebrate christmas and why?

Left out and heart broken knowing my family was together having a good time and just being together . I would fight with myself how wrong they were and someday they would see ,but as the years went by the only one that was hurting was my kids and me .

I don't know what the real truth is and nor do i care ,but Holidays are for family, friends to see each other . Life is so busy and this is the only time many can actually get together and that is so important ,at least to me .

The jws can stick it

• prophecor
    prophecor

" Get out of her, my people if you do not want to share with her sins and her plagues", were the words that convinced me at the time. They come straight from the book of Revelation. I still hold that teaching to have some validity to this day.

There is so much information available on the origin of Christmas and it's various practices that have gone down over the centuries, in conjunction with the fact that it is one of the principle holidays that fuel so many economies all over the world, the greed of the business manufacturerers brings about other aspects of Revelations. The money changers and all those who were able to benefit from the drunken harlot sitting atop the wild beast, when they no longer are able to milk the sow for all the gold and riches that they can, then that harlot is destroyed by the very ones who were having an adulterous relationship with her.

Though not a Watchtower apologist, under any circumstances, I believe they got that part right about one's responsibility to take Christmas and all that it entails in a sobering light. Jesus was not born, according to scripture, anytime within the traditional celebration of Christmas. Trying to whitewash the issue with specious reasoning and excuses for why it's a good thing is just denying the truth about the situation.

Guess you can tell I'm a rather Bahhh, Humbug kinda' guy, if ever you read one.

I'm not too particularly favorable of the Christmas season for various reasons. The superficial laying down of our worse intents, just so we can be happy. The go along to get along mentality that exist, just long enough before the festive holiday season is over, is not much reason for me to get all mixed up in the Holiday Spirit Hooplah, as is too often done. To be grateful everyday for the things that you have, for the ones that you love, 24/7, without reservation, nor need of a special day to remind me. Not just Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day and all the other artificially remembered hours, but everyday should be special. Every moment we have breath in our bodies should give us cause to reflect on the precious gifts of life, too often taken for granted.

Shalom

• M.J.
    M.J.

From what I gather, Christmas overtook and replaced older celebrations for the winter solstice, practiced by the cultures that Christianity overtook.

I've found some good articles on the basis for Christian tolerance for those who choose to celebrate Christmas:

(scroll down to the Christmas section)

http://www.wcg.org/lit/church/holidays/default.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit