Look what I just did to my kitten!

by rebel8 30 Replies latest social humour

• forsharry
    forsharry

mutilation is considered something done to an animal that has no benefit to itself. declawing is done out of the convenience for the human and not the animal.

I'm not judging anyone for declaw. I didn't mean to come across as condeming anyone who did it to their animals. I'm just calling a spade a spade here.

Declawing (onychectomy) is performed under general anesthesia and consists of surgical removal of the nail bed (basically the last joint). The cat's claw is not a nail as is a human fingernail, it is part of the last bone (distal phalanx) in the cat's toe. Contrary to most people's understanding, declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. Thus declawing is not a “simple”, single surgery but 10 separate, painful amputations of the third phalanx up to the last joint of each toe. A graphic comparison in human terms would be the cutting off of a person's finger at the last joint of each finger.

I do work with a local cat rescue group where we are a no kill/no declaw organization. The spay/neuter program has greatly helped the health of our feral colonies...we are no longer seeing anemic, overtaxed females, we're not seeing kittens being killed due to simple viral infections, because there are no extra kittens, and the males and females both are in general better health because there's more food available to them and they're not kitten making machines. Is it a hysterectomy/castration? Yes. Does it benefit the cats' health and well-being? Yes. They will not come down with cancers that non neutered/spayed animals can become afflicted with. They live longer, healthier lives. 10-12 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in the US alone. Too many pets and not enough owners. Spaying/neutering prevents unwanted litters and homelessness.

Again, perhaps fine line, but it is to the benefit of the animal to spay/neuter.

And now back to the subject! :)

Question on the claw caps...has your cat started chewing or biting at them? Has she shown any type of discomfort? How easy is it going to be to get the glued buggers off and reapply? I'm curious...I've seen these things before and figure to some it might be of great benefit, but i don't know all that much about them.

• forsharry
    forsharry

Okay, on a funny note. Does said cat make noises when going along the kitchen floor? Could the next step be tap dancing or clogging perhaps? or maybe marracas? :) I think any kitty would look hot wearing a belly dancing costume, and i'm sure the other cats would agree as they're chasing after said tinkling and jingling feline.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    And ripping out the uterus or testicles is not?

lmao! Good point!

I have to admit that sometimes I will notice whats left of my "male" cat and feel for "him".

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

I

I urge you to get a COSMIC CATNIP ALPINE SCRATCHER -

-

I got one of those for my cat. She loves it BUT she still claws the sofa too!!!! Gonna look into those rubber tip thingies.

• JH
    JH

Nice claws

Talking about cats, here is a picture of my previous cat, when I used to get him trimmed like this twice a year...

• VM44
    VM44

Clipping the cat's nails helps reduce damage due to clawing....But be careful and don't clip them too short! Don't want to hit a nerve or blood vessel!

Check with the vet to see how to do it.

--VM44

• jgnat
    jgnat

When I had cats I got pretty good at clipping their nails. A clear nail is excellent because you can see the pink quick underneath. Don't cut in to that! The first time I clipped Jesse's nails though, it was memorable. I'd read the manual on nail clipping, and had the clippers and a bottle of styptic powder handy. I held him firmly under my right arm, and held on to each paw with my right hand while I clipped with my left. The manual suggested dipping any bleeding nail in to the powder to halt the bleeding. What it failed to mention is that styptic powder stings like the dickens! Sure enough, I clipped one too short. I dipped the nail.

My cat jumped three feet in the air and flew up the stairs and under the bed.

I had cat blood spattered all over my house.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I once had a cat declawed and being an animal lover was horrified at what happened. The vet was the best and it was just a common complication, which is why it is outlawed in Europe I believe..?

My poor kitty's bones stuck out through the surgery..uuhhg it was horrid. I felt so bad. I became educated that it is not the simple surgery I thought it was, so very painful for poor kitty. Dangerous because it is a cats nature to want out. A declawed kitty outside is a sitting duck for every roaming dog, or coyote.

Those fingernail caps are great! I haven't used them but have heard positive feedback from those that have. Training a cat with a water bottle spray is the best way, most cats learn from it unless your name is Homer and you are the reincarnation of a bad comedian who whole purpose in life is pissing people off. He would knock stuff over and then play in the water I sprayed at him.

• calico
    calico

My cats are declawed. I had a hard time making the decision. They do live a luxurious life--so I guess it's a trade off!

• rebel8
    rebel8

As of right now the kitten has gotten 4 of the tips off. The tips don't stop the clawing behavior, they just minimize the damage from it. The kit said the cats forget about the tips after 30 mins. Mine does seem to be aware of them still and it's been a few days. She tries to claw something and seems puzzled....she shakes her paws, licks her nails, and tries again.

I think I put the tips on crooked so that is probably why she got them off. As soon as my husband stops working so much overtime I'll have him hold her while I reapply the tips. It is really a 2 person job and that's why I didn't do it well alone.

Question on the claw caps...has your cat started chewing or biting at them? Has she shown any type of discomfort? How easy is it going to be to get the glued buggers off and reapply? I'm curious...I've seen these things before and figure to some it might be of great benefit, but i don't know all that much about them.
    forsharryRe: Look what I just did to my kitten!

Post 341 of 342
    since 18-Oct-05

27 y 8 m 19 d

Okay, on a funny note. Does said cat make noises when going along the kitchen floor? Could the next step be tap dancing or clogging perhaps? or maybe marracas? :) I think any kitty would look hot wearing a belly dancing costume, and i'm sure the other cats would agree as they're chasing after said tinkling and jingling feline.

Oh that quote didn't come out like I thought it would! The kitten has chewed at them a little, but they are pretty strong if you get them on right. You don't have to remove them. They fall off naturally when the claws grow. Then you just clip the ends and reglue. It is very simple. You put some nail glue inside, slide it on, and wait a few mins. for the glue to dry.

She is showing no signs of discomfort at all.

Yes she does make noise on the hard floor and it seems to surprise her! LOL I was thinking about the cloggers too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit