2 elders came for a visit

by Goldminer 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

At first I wasn't going to post this but I noticed a lot of people here have been getting visits from elders lately,all with pretty much the same results.

Three months ago,my wife asked an elder if he could answer some of my questions.He offered to come over,which he did,to waste my time talking in circles to basic questions he couldn't answer from the bible.(i.e. where does the bible say God has an organization and uses a governing body to direct it?) Anyways,after 3 hours of proving his allegiance tot the WTS and showing me his level of denial he said he would do more research on my questions and get back to me.One main question that night had been 607 BCE.

Last week he made arrangements with my wife to return with another elder.That day I decided,based on advice I got here,that I would not use any research notes,only the bible as final authority(unless we got into 607 since you need secular history to support dates).The discussion started on God's organization,and being that I'm not very good at these type of debates,it basically went in circles with one elder getting upset that I didn't believe that God has a visible organization.He kept asking me well,which religion has the truth then? and told him no religion does.Finally he asked me if I believed the witnesses were God's organization and I had to say no,I didn't.After about 45 minutes of this,we had not opened our bibles once,one elder had barely spoken and it was obvious that no research had been done on my questions.At this point I realized for good I was wasting my time and I started to talk less and just let my wife chat with them.

Their main topic was to "encourage" me to go back to the meetings and listen to the talks,maybe I would learn something from them.Also to keep searching for answers and maybe Jehovah would help me.Then the quiet elder pulled out this little piece of paper with a note scribbled on it-WT 2004 feb.15 Guard Against Deception.He recommended we read that together and blah,blah,blah.They then kept on encouraging me to go to the meetings for spiritual uplifting and social contact.It was obvious they felt I was falling onto an apostate course.By this time I couldn't wait for them to leave and my wife asks me what I think.I said "well,if they can't answer my questions from the bible,going tot the meetings isn't going to give me answers".

So after six months of trying to get answers for my questions,my wife still doesn't have one satisfying answer.She hasn't talked to me about this last visit,not one word about it,probabbly because she saw the effort they put into answering scriptural questions.All it did for me was confirm even more than before that they do not have the truth and are not God's visible organization.

Goldminer

• Jourles
    Jourles
    All it did for me was confirm even more than before that they do not have the truth and are not God's visible organization.

Well, we could have told you that!

You're probably right about the elder not researching 607. He may have, but only in the WTS pubs. Like that is going to help...

The thinning process is getting stronger these days. All it takes is for you to say that Jehover isn't using the WTS and that's it. So and so isn't a JW anymore.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You keep forgetting... all you need to do is OBEY the old guys in New York and everything will be ok!

Just follow the example of this fine upstanding fellow...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't understand why you have all these questions. It's very simple:

1. Jesus said there would be a faithful and discreet slave
    2. JW's are headed up by that slave
    3. Whatever they say is true, is true

Simply follow that formula and you'll have no more problems with it. (Be careful to shake the sand out of your hair before you go to work, though)

You couldn't have handled it any better, Gold. Sounds like you kept your cool and that's 90% of the battle.

Dave

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "he asked me if I believed the witnesses were God's organization and I had to say no"

That's the test question. In these parts, that's enough for Jehovah's Witnesses to start shunning.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Been there and done that.. the elders have no answers.

To be fair , how could they when they do not use any external material, they are not allowed to think outside the box . All they can do is repeat the standard stuff that has been printed, anything else is either "still to be revealed2 or perhaps "We will have to trust Jehovah on that one" . The standard encouragement is, as you say, to attend the meetings and "have you prayed about it ,brother?"

After I became inactive the elders seemed to be ignoring me. After a while, I was invited for a talk with two of them . I was pretty frank, but they have never wished to make any trouble as though I should be viewed as apostate.. Some time later I found out that it had taken a written formal request by my wife begging them to reach out to me. They gave me the one conversation out of their busy schedule , and that was that

• atypical
    atypical

Scary, it seems to be happening everywhere. I am glad to be prepped by the info on this board. It seems that the big gun getting used is that question about believing God's visible organization. I am going to take the route of not offering one single answer to them. It seems like you did a good job, Goldminer. Even if she doesn't say it, your wife saw that they had no answers for you.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The elder visits a week or so before Christmas is standard modus operandi for bottom sucking elders looking for more notches on their guns. They are looking for Christmas decorations and wrapped presents . . . signs a person they may be able to disfellowship is celebrating Christmas. This is an old trick. The blindside is the casual visit from the Witness relative or old Witness friend. They see Christmas tree, they report seeing Christmas tree to elders, and hello shunning.

These are weasel tricks by weasel people in a weasel religion.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Hey thanks for the comments guys,had a few laughs.I know,these elder visit stories are getting kinda boring,pretty much the same outline to all of them,nothing really exciting.

I knew when they asked me if I believed the WTS was God's organization,that was the hangman's question,the mother of all questions.I guess I could've thrown it back on him to prove it but I knew he couldn't and I wasn't backing down,no matter what the consequences.If they feel this powerful need to df' me,fine.I stopped being a JW 6 1/2 yrs ago when I stopped putting in a service report.

Goldminer

• anewme
    anewme

I think in times past the elders were more lax and allowed brothers and sisters to become inactive, as they call it, and hope they would self-correct.

But now they have been directed to go looking for these ones and determine where their hearts are.

I think this change is significant. Whats the point to clean out their numbers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit