The Life of an Atheist and Agnostic

by Golf 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Reality, Reason and Logic with my own happiness as an end in its self. I live a joyfull life.

I do not understand how Theists can be happy that they are "Slaves" and need a God to decide for them what is good or bad.

• cheezy
    cheezy
    It is an insulting question! It implies that without your version of god there's nothing in life worth living!

Yup, I rest my case. As Freud said, "sometimes a cigar is just cigar" (not necessarily a phallic symbol). In this case, I think the question was sincere without any hidden implications.

• Scully
    Scully
    it's better to be realistic and accept something inferior rather than hope on something superior but imaginary

I would hardly consider living a realistic life to be "inferior".

On the other hand, if something is "superior but imaginary", is it really "superior"??

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Cheesy I don't know what the heck your talking about! Are you saying that I think I'm superior because I think the question is insulting or that atheist think they are better than everyone or what?

If you don't think that people (especially Christians) Look down on atheist your out of your mind. I have to deal with this crap all the time! In fact just yesterday a customer asked about my religion and when I said I was atheist he grabbed my hands and started praying for god to help me see the error of my ways! It was disgusting and I'm sure that my response to it cost me a good (paying) customer! So maybe I'm a bit more sensitive that I need to be and like I said if it was just an innocent question I apologize but I still say it's not worded like an innocent question!

• JT
    JT

Reality is the bottom line

One of the roles that religion has played thruout the history of man is providng answers to lifes tough questions

why are we here, where will be go, is this life all there is-

as humans we want and demand answers to our questions and so here is where religion comes in at, it matters not how Goofy , rediculus or foolish the anwser is , as long as we have a answer we are happy

as one looks back thruout history at some of the most ignorant answers to questions that religion has provided man in all parts of the earth it is truly sad

at one time folks actually believed based on thier religion that when it thundered, it was due to the gods being mad-

instead of religon saying we don't know, they just came up with an answer for the masses and the masses were happy

one of the worlds largest religions taught that eating a damn hot dog on friday would get you life in hell

or a religion that tells its members- blow up yourself --and get 42 Fine Virgins that look like Pam Anderson

and the list goes on and on of all the goofy stuff that religion has done in the name of god and then to think that there is some god who has watched this for 1000's of years as sincere and dyed in the wool persons thought that their path was the right path

at this point in my life i do not have all or part of the anwser, but i do know this--

I don;'t want someone just making up some stuff just to answer my questions:

The Freedom to Think means:

"I'd rather have Questions that I can't Answer ----Than Questions, I can't Ask.

(or Answers that I can't Question)."

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

What do you base your hopes,dreams,aspirations and your eventuality on?

I base my hopes, dreams, and aspirations on the fact that they are exactly that: hopes, dreams, and aspirations. One of the most detrimental effects of being a Witness for me was that, although I was repeatedly told that I had an "earthly hope," and many other kinds of hope, I in fact had very little or no hope at all in my day to day life. Never in my life as a Witness was I able to envision or look forward to life beyond a few months out. Beyond the very near future was only a void which held no comfort, only depression and confusion. Hope was something I was told I had(or should have), not something I discovered.

Today I am truly excited for the future, because it's unknown. For someone who felt he had all the answers to life's big questions, I was not at all the happy, wise person one would expect. As an agnostic, my focus is now on the reality of the world around me, and that true change does not occur at the will of an unseen force, it occurs because people precipitate it. For me God is a unicorn, impossible to prove or disprove, so why would I spend my entire life searching for him, discrediting the beauty of the world around me by undeservedly accrediting its nature to a figment of fancy.

CD

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    In fact just yesterday a customer asked about my religion and when I said I was atheist he grabbed my hands and started praying for god to help me see the error of my ways!

I don't miss at all the feeling of responsibility I had as a JW to convert everyone or watch them die. Now I believe that whether you're an atheist or not, the end's the same. No need to try to convince people.

Thankfully, most Christians don't act like the kooky ones!

Dave

• Panda
    Panda

Knowledge = freedom

Now I don't mean that as simplictically as it sounds. Why? Because knowledge means you got to reach for those books and journals; you've got to further your education and learn to think. For me thinking is a joy; learning is a joy and spreading the great feelings knowledge brings is a joy.

Relieving myself of a supernatural belief system was the second best life choice I ever made. The first was to marry Mr.Panda 32 years ago.

Jefferson once wrote "Fix reason in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind folded fear."

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    It is an insulting question! It implies that without your version of god there's nothing in life worth living!

It implies nothing of the sort. It only implies Golf's ignorance of your way of thinking. One way to gain understanding of someone elses way of thinking is to ask a question, then listen to your response with introspect. It is a question that I've wondered in the past as well, then I got some answers. Now I understand your point of view.

(edited for clarity)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    What do you base your hopes,dreams,aspirations and your eventuality on?

just to find, and to be found.

ts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit