Is the "Good News" really about 1914?

by rockhound 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rockhound
    rockhound

"The Good News" that Jehovahs Witnesses preach from door to door, world wide, has a definite theme that is different than "The Good News" preached by the churches of christendom.

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914." (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

Research on the history of interpretations of Bible prophecy reveals that the Edward Bishop Elliott (1793-1875), incumbent of St. Mark's Church in Brighton, England was most probably the first one to mention the date 1914

in his treatise "Hours with the Apocalypse" first published in 1844. Elliott was one of the best known and most learned millenarians of his time.

Where in the history of man can mention of the year 1914 be found prior to Edward Bishop Elliott in 1844?

2,520 years

Research shows that John Aquila Brown in his book The Even-Tide

(London,1823) for the first time explained the "seven times" of Daniel 4 to mean 2,520 years.

James Hatley Frere seems to the first to write on the 2,520 years in 1813, but he never held the times of the Gentiles ( or the "seven times") to be a period of 2,520 years.

Where in the history of man can mention of 2,520 years in relation to Bible prophecy be found prior to James Hatley Frere in 1813?

If in fact, the "Good News" that Chirstians are to preach today, is about 1914, which is arrived at by the use of the figure 2,520 years, and neither 1914 or 2,520 years were used by anybody until the 1800's, then what was the "Good News" up to the 1800's that was preached by the Faithful Slave for all the centuries since 33 C.E.?

Why the change from what was preached as "Good News" by the apostles, to a "Gospel" about the date 1914? Wouldn't Gal.1:8,9 apply here?

8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed

ROCKHOUND

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thank you for that research, Rockhound.

Excellent point, if they were teaching the SAME Good News as the 1st Century Christians, why didn't the 1st Century Christians teach what Jehovah's Witnesses teach?

AuldSoul

• reaper
    reaper

Good points. 1917 is the far more interesting date though. Liberation of Jerusalem from the turks which was the year 1335 in the Islamic Calender. 1335 days are mentioned in Daniel 12.

• skyman
    skyman

I say let the BORG be cursed.

Good point Thanks

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

"The Good News" that Jehovahs Witnesses preach from door to door, world wide, has a definite theme that is different than "The Good News" preached by the churches of christendom.

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914."

(Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

That's it! Galatians 1:8,9 "Whoever preaches a DIFFERENT version of the Gospel let him be accursed"

• observador
    observador

2014 in my radar screen.

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

As the article I posted in another thread here mentioned, Aleister Crowley made a pretty big deal about 1914 as well. He called it the end of the Aeon of Osiris and the beginning of the Aeon of Horus, the crowned and conquering king. Both Russell and Crowley were fairly obsessive about Egypt, both using Egyptian logos and motifs. Crowley believed that WWI began because of his publication of the Book of the Law.

Crowley had been a member of the Golden Dawn and formed the OTO, both of which may have Masonic ties.

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI Benjamin B.! Welcome to the forum!

• Honesty
    Honesty

That's why the Jehovah's Witnesses should continually be presented with the Good News about Jesus. They have either never heard it or are so brainwashed into believing the Watchtower Lie it goes over their heads.

If the Born Again Christians are right and the Watchtower is wrong then a curse is on the entire Jehovah's Witness group and all its adherents.

If the Watchtower is right and the Born Again Christians are wrong then the Born Agains should have been destroyed years ago with no hope of a resurrection when Armageddon occurred before the generation that saw 1914 passed away.

Wait a minute!

The Born Again Christians do not place their hope on a resurrection like the Jehovah's Witnesses. They place their hope on Jesus' Second Coming.

• bythesea
    bythesea

Rockhound, WELCOME TO THE BOARD...don't think I've done that yet! I appreciated your research on the history of the use of 1914 tied in with Bible predictions....good work!

WELCOME also to you, Benjamin B!!!

Honesty...I always enjoy hearing your take and comments on subjects...and I agree that the REAL "Good News" from the Bible DOES go over their heads in the WTS!!! There are far more references in the Bible to "the good news of the Christ" than to "the good news of the kingdom" even tho they do mean one and the same....but interesting that the WTS zeros in mainly on the use of the word "kingdom". For years I've been saying in my mind, "but what about Jesus??" as he is so missing from their message....given lip-service only. The meetings and especially the WT study is grueling for me to sit through anymore....especially when I hear scriptures applied to Jehovah that are meant for Jesus. I could scream!

These are all points that I hope to be able to use with my hubby and I thank you all for them!!

Bythesea

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit