Is Christmas for fun?

by LittleToe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I agree with Ozzie - Christmas is what you make it. It's a time to celebrate, to be happy, to spend time with family and friends, to exchange gifts and put up lots of sparkly and shiny decorations and have lots of fun. It is, after all, a CELEBRATION.

Christmas is whatever you want it to be. If you're a more devout Christian, then perhaps attending church services and reflecting on the birth of Christ (we'll ignore the fact that He wasn't born in December, it's the thought that counts, not the date) is more your style, so that's what you do. If you're not as into that sort of thing as, say, your grandmother was, then by all means, use Christmas as a time to celebrate friends and family, because after all, what's life without them?? Celebrate, be thankful for what you have, show your love for everyone close to you, and for once, don't complain and just put up with all of their annoying qualities, like your grandmother's incessant and repetitive stories and your little brother's constant pestering and your mother's nagging about getting the chores done.

Me, I'll be going to church on Christmas Eve with my family, just like I always do, and I'll enjoy it, just like I always do, Christmas Eve church services are always beautiful. And I have gifts to give to the people closest to me (except my JW boyfriend, because he flat-out refused to accept a Christmas gift), I've decorated my mother's house and grandparents' house, too, and I fully intend to bake some cookies today - who's up for some Christmas shortbread cookies??

For me, Christmas is a time to enjoy family and friends, to celebrate all of the good things in life, to be with the ones that you love and yes, to have lots of fun.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

-Becka :)

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Schools, retailers celebrate diversity of winter holidays
    Beaufort Gazette, SC - 1 hour ago
    ... But both principals said they also have students who are Jehovah's Witnesses, who don't celebrate the holidays at all. Andrea Vinel ... [Original article] http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/node/2770 from here

Those who don't celebrate Christmas.

Submitted by hhoefer on Tue, 2005-12-20 12:42. I'm working on a feature article for The Beaufort Gazette's Faith & Values section on people who don't celebrate Christmas and how they handle the in-your-face holiday season. I'm especially interested in talking with some Jehovah's Witnesses. If you are interested in speaking with me or you know of anyone else who would speak with me, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 986-5578. Thank you

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Hi, Danny.

Do you live in Beaufort? Would you be interested in being interviewed for my story?

Heather Hoefer
    Special Sections Editor
    Faith & Values
    The Beaufort Gazette
    (843) 986-5578, direct

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks to the JW's, I've done a lot of deep thinking on the significance of annual celebrations. I think they are necessary touchpoints in our lives. I read the account of a girl who was raised as a communal cult-child. She was raised with no distinction of the days. Every day was just like the other. Her memories are blurred and indistinct. Annual events solidify our memories, build bonds with our family, and allow us to reflect on the passage of time. I think it is no accident that the Old Testament Jehovah-God set up regular celebrations and events through the year. We need to gather to eat, sing, dance and be grateful. The pathetic JW memorial is not an adequate substitute

• codeblue
    codeblue

I agree with you Jgnat

Being raised a JW the ONLY time that was special was the Memorial. Which is a very serious event.

I remember one of my brother in laws saying that we as JW's have NO reason to get together as other families in the world do (at least the holidays give them a reason to go visit)........sad isn't it?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gawd, I love Christmas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit