Is Christmas for fun?

by LittleToe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Given that so many practises associated with Christmas are blatantly Christian in origin but Christianity endorses spiritual self-flagellation/crucifixion, moderation, and enough "-isms" to make your eyes water, is Christmas truly for fun?

I know that often there are few Christian connotations attributed to it nowadays, in such a hedonistic and sensory society, but history is on record in showing that the whole baby Jesus thing is definitely a Christian element. Would any true hedonist today want to drink such a mixed cup (potentially of poor-grade wine)?

Discuss...

• Legolas
    Legolas

LT ...I would dicuss this with you but i am just alittle out of it right now!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi LT,

It's been 35 years since I celebrated Christmas, but while I was growing up in a non-religious family, the emphasis was on fun. I've lived in the Bible Belt my whole life and most people want to make Christmas a fun celebration, a time for family. They also tend to acknowledge (sometimes frequently) their gratitude for Christ, so there is a religious element to their celebration.

I went back and read the post and missed the point (thanks to the Asti I'm drinking). I don't know any true hedonists. (I've called myself an enlightened hedonist in jest.) I suspect people who are true hedonists don't care too much about the philosophy of hedonism or maintaining the integrity of hedonism. They care about the actual practice. "If it feels good, do it." They won't let religious elements stand in their way.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Is it fun to "discuss"?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

LT--Why don't you tell us how you usually spend Christmas day and what does it signify to you?

Swalker (Never celebrated Christmas, but watched as my non-JW relatives did!)

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yeah, it's for fun if you're fortunate enough to be around some fun people. I look forward to the craziness of my friend's family that weekend. Mine are pretty, uh, boring and it's always been a holiday focused on jesus...but that's another one of your threads.

Since I'll be off that week, I will be sure to enjoy a few drinks and unwind as best I can. Unfortunately, I am unable to make it to Hedonism to celebrate.

Lonelysheep (of the "paganathiehedonistic class")

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Christmas is a time to get together with your family exchange gifts have a good meal. It makes some people think about Jesus, that can't be a bad thing. I think it is what you make it. In the New Testament Paul said not to judge people regarding what holidays that they celebrated or did not celebrate. It was up to the individual. Read Colossians 2:16, Romans 14:4-6.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Lonelysheep, that's an idea for LT. Go to Hedonism and find out.

http://www.superclubs.com/brand_hedonism/

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Lol Serendipity!

That'll ensure he has a good holiday!

• serendipity
    serendipity

and he'd probably get his mike polished too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit