Need help! Have you read Randy's books?

by bythesea 31 Replies latest jw friends

• bythesea
    bythesea

Hey gang, I have been searching for a way to dent my hubby's mindset on the theology of JWs and came across two books by Randy Watters that I wondered if any of you had found useful. "Refuting JWs" and "The Truth will set you Free". If any of you have read these I'd appreciate some feedback from you before ordering them.

Hubby can make excuses for all the Org flip-flops, etc since they're still imperfect men but still believes they teach "the truth" from the Bible.

I have been fading since the beginning of the year and he and I are now at the point of having to discuss the matter...I need help proving the WTS wrong from a scriptural point of view!! That's the only way it looks like I will ever make any headway with him. I haven't approached 607 vs 586/7 but am more interested in doctrinal teachings. Is that what Randy's books go into? If anyone has other books they'd recommend on this matter please let me know! He won't read anything I have taken off the internet or that he thinks has been tainted by apostates. I need to just be able to use the Bible to refute their claims. Thanks for your help!

Bythesea

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I haven't read any of Randy's books yet;it's kinda hard to bring new books in the house with my wife who thinks I'm borderline apostate.From what I have read on Randy's Freeminds.org website,I would believe that his books would be very interesting.

Try asking your husband questions that go like this:

"where does the bible make the following statements..."

-That God has an organization on earth and uses a governing body to direct?

Then leave the burden of proof on him.It is not even listed as a jw belief on their website.I left that question with an elder 3 months ago.When he came back,he couldn't open his bible and show me.Funny,if I had asked him where the bible says I must put faith in Jesus to have everlasting life he would have quickly opened it up to JN 3:16.If they can't back their teachings with the bible then maybe those teachings are not biblical.

Goldminer

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

You could also try these:

Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses
    Ron Rhodes
    Harvest House
    ISBN 1-56507-106-9

Jehovah's Witnesses Answered verse by verse
    David A Reed
    Baker Book house
    ISBN o-8010-7739-7

Answering Jehovah's Witnesses Subject by Subject
    David A Reed
    Baker Book house
    ISBN 0-8010-5317-X

You might want to check out these web pages:

Jehovah's Witnesses: A Critical Analysis

A Bible Study Outline

• Honesty
    Honesty

Here are a couple of publications books that might be useful to you. They help you discuss doctrinal issues and 'force' a JW to use his own NWT to try to prove the WT point of view

The 10 Most Important Things You Can Say To A Jehovah's Witness - Ron Rhodes (Reasoning From the Scriptures Ministries) www.harvesthousepublishers.com

60 Questions Every Jehovah's Witness Should Be Asked - Ian Brown www.emeraldhouse.com

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I still think one of the best books was Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz.

With me and my husband who is fading away...we don't talk about scriptural things....

I say how can this organisation be lead by Jehovah when they aren't protecting the children.

Silent Lambs has helped me so much to convince him that Jehovah God would not allow children to be harmed by his organisation. To have evil doers protected and the wronged be disfellowshipped and shunned.

Chrystal

• bythesea
    bythesea

Goldminer....I appreciate your suggestions...and have approached him about the necessity of having an Org and governing body today....he stands by the JW teaching that Matt:24:45-47 of the FDS and that God has ALWAYS had an org on earth to take care of his people and dealings. He points to the time of Moses, when he chose men to assist him in dealing with the issues of the Israelites as they were wandering in the wilderness....and of course, the GB in Jerus. when Paul went to them over the circumcision problem. I get the standard answers.... Interesting that the elder you asked COULDN'T prove it from the Bible, tho!! I managed to smuggle Franz' 2 books into our house and now have them and all my internet printouts stashed in various places....its not easy....I feel sneaky and deceptive and constantly have to worry about what he might find!! My married life was never like this until I questioned our religion.....

NewLight2: Thanks for the books...I actually have looked at the one on Reasoning from the Scriptures.... and it opened my eyes to many things back last Spring...and my JW son saw it on my table and called my husband who proceeded to hurry home while I was at work and go into our computer and find my correspondence with an exJW woman! It was DDay around here!!!!! That's when I learned to be much more cautious in how I was handling things.... Thanks for the two new sites...they both look very helpful!!

Thank you both!!!!! bythesea

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I figured you were probably getting the standard answers.Moses wasn't an organization,he was an individual,the nation of Israel was just that,a nation,not an organization.If Jehovah always had a visible organization,where was it in 467 ce,984 ce,1678 ce,or how about in the 1870's when Charles Russell was searching for truth,why didn't he approach God's visible organization?

As for MT 24:45-47,that's a parable,not a prophecy that applies only to the WTS.You'll read more about it in Ray Franz's books.

Just keep asking tought-provoking questions(like that one?) to make him really reason on the truthfulness or scripturalness of certain teachings.

Goldminer

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Goldminer--Good points--I like 'why didn't Russell just go to the FDS?

Byth-----Don't let him off the hook on his answers about the FDSlave. Make him stick to the Bible as he wants you to. This is a major doctrine that gives the WT supposed basis to demand your obedience & support. Why not the F&D master?

Please make Crisis of Conscience a priority.

The context is self explanitory.

The F&D Slave doctrine is what gives the WT it's control.(My comments in blue)

*** it-1 p. 805 Faithful and Discreet Slave ***(Insight book)

When answering the apostles’ question concerning his future presence and the conclusion of the existing system of things, Jesus Christ included a parable, or illustration, dealing with a “faithful and discreet slave” and an “evil slave.

Does a parable or illustration require a fulfillment?

Even if it does, what about the timing?

*** w87 8/1 p. 16 Christ’s Active Leadership Today ***

5 The modern history of God’s people shows that this time of accounting came in 1918-19

They were collectively found to be the “slave

Note this application of Jesus' coming:

*** w97 3/1 p. 13 Are You Ready for Jehovah’s Day? ***

On this account you too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.” (Matthew 24:40-44;-----) Not knowing the exact time of Jesus’ coming to execute God’s vengeance tends to keep us vigilant and gives us daily opportunity to prove that we serve Jehovah with unselfish motives.

Then the context of the illustration:

(Matthew 24:36-47) 36 “Concerning that day and hour (Jesus’ coming to execute God’s vengeance) nobody knows, ------------------ 42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming.(Jesus’ coming to execute God’s vengeance) ----------------------- 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming. (Jesus’ coming to execute God’s vengeance) 45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. 47 Truly I say to YOU, He will appoint him over all his belongings.

How can verse 46 step out of the context & apply to 1914 / 1919? Why would his arrival in vs 46 be at a different time than his 'coming' in the previous verses?

• Effervescent
    Effervescent
    and my JW son saw it on my table and called my husband who proceeded to hurry home while I was at work and go into our computer and find my correspondence with an exJW woman!

What??? Nothing like getting treated like a child! I wonder if they realize their actions speak volumes about the mind control?

The books by David Reed and Ron Rhodes are good ones. I have them at home and refer to them constantly. Good luck with everything!

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

You might also want to order this book from Witness Inc
    http://www.witnessinc.com/

http://www.witnessinc.com/ordering%20materials.html

#679 WHO IS THE FAITHFUL AND WISE SERVANT?: Magnani. A step by step approach
    proving the JWs have been lied to about Watchtower Society "authority". Their own
    publications disprove modern Society claims. A key "witnessing" book to undercut the false
    spiritual authority over JWs. Christian Research Institute says about this study: "Such
    documentation has already been compiled in excellent fashion by Duane Magnani. I cannot
    recommend this ministry too highly for those who wish to learn the truth about what the Society
    has taught in the past and continues to teach today." Understand the "communication problem" in
    witnessing to JWs. Learn how not to argue . Learn how to control your discussion from A to Z.
    Learn what Paul says to do about JWs. Learn to be effective in your presentation. Revised and
    expanded edition. $12.95.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit