Is Christmas for Atheists?

by LittleToe 42 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Oh, and I'm not particularly interesting in putting "Christ" back into Christmas. My main concern at the moment is putting the "ho" back into Jehovah.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

LMAO @ Runningman!

Actually I couldn't agree more with this statement -

The beauty about being an atheist is that I can do any damn thing I want. I wouldn't hesitate to participate in a Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Budhist, or Pagan ritual. I find them interesting from an anthropological point of view, and from the point of view of bonding with fellow humans by participating in life.

That's sort of the way I look at it. Last year on Christmas Eve I went to a midnight mass at cathedral here. I would like to go again this year. It was more an exercise of "seeing how the other half live". I enjoyed the music, the beauty, the pagentry, the hyper ritualistic service. It was facinating to me.

Having never celebrated this holiday up until a year ago I am still trying to find my way with it. I got a tree this year because ever since I was a kid I've thought they were pretty and fun. I remember being about 7 and grilling my JW mom about what kind of christmas trees they used to have when she was a kid. I also remember feeling sneeky by slipping into my aunts living room to go poke at the ornaments on her tree.

I think for me with the JW background I've always been told Christmas was never about Christ. It makes it easier for me with my belief system now to accept it as just a chance to have some child-like enthusiasm in my life again.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I somehow think the majority ding-dong merrily on high, and if there's a party in the prospect will happily celebrate Ide, Devali, the birth of Zorastor and so forth.

Yeah, that's me. I've done pagan rituals, been to church, played with Ouija. You mix the cup, I'll bring the chips...

I think the question could be reworded, "Is it wrong for an atheist to celebrate Christmas?" Since an atheist doesn't look to any authority to dictate right from wrong, every atheist could answer that question differently. To me, if it doesn't hurt (physically, mentally, whatever) any physical creature, it's ok. By that measure, there isn't much that's truly wrong.

My question is, when Jesus finally returns, will HE celebrate Christmas? "Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! ..." (What do you buy a guy like that? Probably a Visa gift card...)

Dave

• Tez
    Tez

Well I am not an atheist and but I don't believe Xmas is a truly Christian celebration anyhow, though obviously many Christians would like to think it is. Why have I started to celebrate it again? Celebrate is the wrong word I think, I just think it breaks the monotony of winter and its nice to have something to look forward to!! As simple as that..

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I grant you that Christmas is not wholey (get it ) Christian, and the secularisation has made it much more mainstream for others to indulge in. But my difficulty is in understanding how any pure Atheist could have anything to do with it. If you're a true Atheist, isn't it a little idiosyncratic?

Dave:
    I'm afraid I'm not happy with re-wording the question just so it can appease your "Almost-Atheist"ic tendancies. The question stands; Is Christmas for Atheists?

And as for the idea of putting the Cross back into the celebrations by calling it Xmas, well that works too, on so many levels...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

LT,

Fair enough. Then can I ask you to explain what you mean by the question? Can you define it more clearly?

"Is Christmas for Atheists?"

Was it created for atheists? -- No

Is it something atheists are allowed to participate in? -- Yes

Is it something atheists can benefit from? -- Yes

Does it heighten an atheists recognition of his spiritual need? -- Would vary by atheist. For me, no

One problem with asking a question about "atheists" is that they aren't a group. It's like referring to "apostates" as a group. Unlike "Baptists" or "JW's", they don't hold a common set of beliefs, or even un-beliefs. They even define the word differently. For instance, I don't completely KNOW there isn't a god, but I still call myself an atheist. Some other atheists might call me agnostic. (But then I would buy them a beer and they would agree to call me whatever I want.)

Dave

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Aren't a group? AREN'T a group???

Surely you'd agree that they are at least an autonomous collective?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

My question is, when Jesus finally returns, will HE celebrate Christmas? "Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! ..." (What do you buy a guy like that? Probably a Visa gift card...)

LOL @ AA

Swalker

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Surely you'd agree that they are at least an autonomous collective?

How do you define a collective? For instance, what can you say about "stamp collectors", as a group? Or "lefties"? They and atheists are all unique individuals that happen to have one thing in common among them. And within that common link, there are all sorts of flavors. Some collect stamps from around the world, regardless of age. Others are only interested in stamps from their own country. Others want first-day issue sheets.

Atheists are a group in that they share a common (or at least similar) lack of belief. But what can you do with that?

Group/not-a-group may not be material to your question, anyway. From my perspective it is because I can't see how there could be any answer that could be considered "the atheist's answer", because all atheists would have their own opinion about it. And none would be in violation of the Atheist's Code. (A copy of which can be obtained by sending me $100 and giving me a few weeks to toss it together!)

Dave

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    For instance, what can you say about "stamp collectors", as a group? Or "lefties"?

Look, now, I've already asked that my threads not be derailed. Let's just stick the the question, shall we?

Is Christmas for Atheists?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit