Is Christmas for Atheists?

by LittleToe 42 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Christmas has no real meaning for me, and I don't celebrate it with that much enthusiasm. That is nothing to do with having been a jw, I wasn't all that bothered prior to that. But I do have a christmas dinner after a few beers beforehand enjoy the holiday, and that's as far as it goes for me.

I can't reall see how any true atheist can attach any real significance to it at all.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

As daystar said, true WHAT?

Ross, maybe people celebrate it because it is fun. Not because it may present a date-shifted commemoration of the birth of Jesus intertwined with old pagan feats. Maybe some people without a religious belief also feel that goodwill to all men (and women) is a jolly good idea, and having a few days off with freinds and family is just nice.

Enlightened self interest.

I do admit I'd rather not go to church, but my fiance likes to, it's just once a year, and although I'd rather not ,it would be churlish not to. I do feel like an anthropologist though... (David Attenborough-like voice) "And here we see the shamen holding what they claim are the remains of their god, and a he raises it they all bow... ".

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I'm an Atheist and I am very much into the spirit of Christmas. When I celebrate it god or jesus does not even come into it. I celebrate because as Abaddon says it's fun. Simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit