GRACE (undeserved kindness)

by TheListener 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

Would the answer be that we get God's grace free. And knowledge of that grace motivates us to act in a manner that is acceptable to God? The acceptable manner to God can be found by studying the Bible?

That makes sense, except what if we don't act in a manner acceptable to God? Are we still eligible for his Grace? It is after all undeserved. Nothing we do can earn it, therefore, can we un-earn it?

thanks mrsjones and anewme. defd, your input would be appreciated as well. I don't think this thread will generate the excitement of some others but it is a valid discussion.

• Narkissos
  • TopHat
    TopHat
    Jesus is LORD & believe in your heart God raised him from the dead you WILL...WILL...WILL be saved

Saved? From What? How? When?

• anewme
    anewme

You have brought up another good point Listener! What is the extent of God's grace? How far reaching is it?
    Jesus gave the illustration of the lost sheep. How the shepherd would leave the fold to go looking for the one lost sheep. Many scriptures talk about Jehovah taking no delight in the death of even the wicked one. Jesus sat with sinners (thieves and prostitutes) and kindly shared his pleasant company and thoughts with them.

It would seem to me (and unfortunately I am going on memory) that after much reading one could grasp that Jehovah and Jesus himself care deeply for the sinners of this world, for mankind who is lost, lonely, hurt, mean, angry, etc.

His love and mercy is bigger than the earth. Bigger than the sun. Bigger I guess than the whole universe!
    It can penetrate every wall .......and closed heart.

I do believe I caught a glimpse of Gods grace a year ago when I prayed fervently for help in my lowest hour. After that I had a vision of a new life for me on this earth, hence the name here "Anewme"

Wow. I think this subject is very important to think about and meditate on.
    Receiving God's grace is a life changing thing.

It feels bigger than religion and goes beyond speech to describe it

Again thankyou Listener.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Listener,

Great question! As an example of my perspective, I look at how Christ viewed his disciples.

John was especially loved. His personality was very attractive to Jesus. Jesus entrusted the care of Mary to him.

Peter was headstrong and impetuous, but endearing in his approach to life.

What was Bartholomew like?

What was Thomas like?

Andrew?

My point is, Jesus is shown as being drawn toward certain ones more than others. Did he hate the others because of it? No. He just gravitated more toward certain ones.

If I believe he exemplified God, would not the same be true of God? Works do not save anyone, they cannot. However, certain kinds of things (works of the spirit) draw us closer to God and certain kinds of things (works of the flesh) distance us from God. So, the way I see it, it all depends on the kind of relationship you want with God. Religions like Jehovah's Witnesses teach you to go scouring the NT for rules (sometimes masquerading under the sophistic umbrella of "principles"), whereas Paul encouraged a father/son relationship with God, James said wisdom from God is available to any who ask in faith, and 1 John 2:18-29 says the anointing would teach you all you need to know.

I hope I have worded that well enough to be understood.

AuldSoul

• mouthy
    mouthy

Saved? From What? How? When?

Well Isnt God supposed to have a book where he keeps those HE is saving name???
    From What?- HELL !!!weather it is on earth,( the troubles we might face on earth) or from a future "cutting off"
    When.?....In HIS( GODS) timing not the WT s
    How -? Only GOD knows

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Listener -

Having spent the last 40 years as a witness, I know that my perception of this concept of 'grace' has been tremendously altered by the Wt perceptions and retranslation of the term into 'undeserved kindness'. I was offered a book that has aided me greatly in coming to grips with what Jesus and the Father offer thru grace to us as human recipients.

The book is entitled ; In the Grip of Grace by Max Lucado. I am presently enjoying this book myself. I know it is available thru Christian bookstores and online too.

We have been involved in a legalistic society that has impressed us on a subconscience level that is hard to shake that 'works' are part of the picture of God's reward, instead of the true idea of 'grace' with it's meanings.

Lucado illustrates like this - you have been washed downsteam, thousands of miles from the Father's home and presence. The legalistic worshiper gets busy trying to build a stone path up the river to 'home'. He is so busy trying to find his own way back to the Father by legal means and works that he misses the Father's response to his distress, in the form of the older brother, His Son, who shows up to offer that he will carry the legalistic son back to his Father.

Lucado has a wonderful grasp of metaphore and brings the picture in clearly to me.

I hope you will get the book and take a few days to read it.

Jeff

• anewme
    anewme

Auld Soul, AK-Jeff and Mouthy(Grace), this thread has brought out a rich heartfelt beautiful discussion from all of you!!!
    This forum is filled with deep feeling thinking people.
    I'm sure even God and the angels are listening in.
    This has made my day. The Listener, Mrs. Jones, Auld Soul, AK and Mouthy, your words and insight will be in my thoughts throuhout the day as I think about Gods grace.

Gotta run......(sad face)

Anewme

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Grace

From What?- HELL !!!

I believe we are saved from GOD (or His wrath)

And not only is the grace free, the faith is a gift!

Eph 2:8

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

D Dog

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

According to the Bible;

Jesus died for sinners not righteous people

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. 10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Everything that is bad in us that would require punishment has been paid for. Jesus did the time for our crime. That is grace. It is a free gift. All one would need to do is recieve the free gift. It can not be earned, there are no strings attached.

After we have done that, Jehovah continues to do the work IN us via the Holy Spirit. . Every attempt we make to do good, and be good, makes us start to feel righteous. We all know what happens. We become like the self righteous family member who is too good to associate with sinners anymore. Jesus ate with sinners, loved them, hung out with them, saved them, fed them. He just did not ACT like them. Love~Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit