Together, we will make a difference!

by AndersonsInfo 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TopHat
    TopHat

jnat, I don't mean to imply that the people are corrupt....I was thinking along the lines of the leaders who seem to always have some backhanded scam or thing going on with the church itself.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

"If you do not have the ability to spell correctly and to write coherently, succinctly, and dispassionately, you are providing no help to your cause.

If anything, your release will not only be immediately discarded as the work of a crackpot, but it will also prejudice the editor against any competent release that follows"

10 tips on how to write a successful press release

1. The first lines of your press releases shall include:

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" (or FOR RELEASE Dec 25, 2002) and "For more information, contact:" followed by your contact information.

Craft a compelling headline. The headline makes your release stand out. Keep it short, active, and descriptive. If you don't know how, read a number of compelling headlines till you get some idea.

Hook reader with the first paragraph. A first paragraph shall summarize the five W's: who, what, where, when and why. In fact, most readers will give up if you haven't "hooked" them in the first few lines.

Put the most important information at the beginning. This is a tried and true rule of journalism. Never hide golden points to the end.

Don't sell but answer questions! Making over-inflated statements is helpless to your business. Write a release that answers questions about your business, rather than piling flowery adjectives without saying why.

Don't say it, show it. Avoid saying something is "unique" or "the best". Instead, show how people will benefit - i.e. save time, save money, make their life easier, etc.

A 'non- biased' source like university professor or software reviewer is very helpful.

Provide all possible contact information including mail address, telephone, fax, e-mail and web site (especially for online business).

Proofread & Proofread ! Do remember to proofread your press release for typographical errors before you send them out.

End your press release with "###" (without the quotation marks) after your last lines of text. This symbol lets the editors know they have successfully received the entire release.

assistance email Danny [email protected]
  • Crumpet
    Crumpet

sound advice Danny.

I'm so glad I didnt see any of the threads on the big news until today as the suspense and hope would have killed me.

I do hope this news is as Big as promised....but I'm trying not to get my hopes up - can't help hoping it would be impactful enough to reunite me with my family..

• Bryan
    Bryan

Also, if you are sending a release to anyone but a Newspaper, it should be a "News" Release. TV studios do not have a printing "Press".

I know that sounds tedious, but professionals expect professional releases.

If you would like to see one of my News Releases, email me. I was told by the Book Producer at Dateline NBC that is was one of the best she's seen. bryan at haveyouseenmymother dot com

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

As a news writer and editor, I deal with hundreds of press releases each week, and write tons as well. Danny's list is excellent. I teach news release writing to various groups when asked, and use a very similar list. Of extreme importance is the proofing. There should be no mistakes. They make the writer sound incompetent, and greatly lessen the chance of the release being taken seriously. S4

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

In my usual manner, just like I did with the Quotes' lawsuit press release, I can be in charge of translating the news to Spanish as needed and sending to many of the media outlets back home in Puerto Rico and here in San Antonio.
    MastoDon (of the Bilingual Apostates class)

• Neo
    Neo

bump

• IT Support
    IT Support

YoursChelbie ,

Good questions...

Will we be sending out e-mail notices of the Big News or will this "clearing house" be sending out the notices once we forward to them a list of local agencies' e-mail addresses we compile?

To be honest, and this is just my personal opinion, I'm not in favour of sending emailing addresses to a central clearing house. I think it raises just the sort of problems you mention.

I favour the idea of those of us who wish to get involved, making our own lists and sending out the emails ourselves. After all, I guess it's not like we're going to be sending out millions of emails that would get our ISP annoyed, more like a hundred or two I suppose.

Again, it's a personal decision whether or not to use our real names: many here would like to but feel contrained by family circumstances to retain their anonymity. Fine. Create an anonymous email account on Hotmail or Yahoo or whatever.

Barbara will no doubt give us some guidance of what to write, or at least will no doubt post a copy of one of the ones she has written, which we can then use as a template.

Will the "clearing house" be sifting thru the e-mail address we give them to avoid sending duplicate e-mails?

Another good reason for sending out our emails ourselves.

If we have e-mail addresses of private citizens such as our former elders, or our relatives who are still active JW are we to forward these private e-mail addresses to the "clearing house"?

I would suggest to definitely not to send in private email addresses. If I thought my private email address had been given to someone else without my permission, I'd get really annoyed. But if a personal friend sent me an email, that would be quite a different matter.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

IT Support:

I'm not in favour of sending emailing addresses to a central clearing house.

AndersonInfo:

thread suggesting "Big News Email Clearing House" is excellent

Can both of you talk about this and reach an agreement so that members of this forum who wish to participate in dispensing information are not confused as to how to proceed? Could AndersonInfo and ITSupport Please give detailed instructions when you reach a consensus? I think we can be more effective if we're all on the "same page" and there aren't conflicting ideas as to what is the best approach.

Respectfully,

YC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit