3 Books - Bible Unearthed, 101 Myths of the Bible, and Early History of God

by VM44 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shining One
    Shining One

I am willing to bet that everything these authors tell us is highly debatable. It's interesting to note that of the Gnostics (and those who give credence to their uninspired 'lost books') here all flock to Mark Smith.

Rex

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Lost me there Rex, we have Gnostics here? And they flock to Mark Smith? What are you talking about?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Finkelstein is a highly respected archeologist, having spent many yrs on digs. He also teaches that in one of the universities in israel. Not that that means anything to you, rex.

S

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

EARTH TO REX! This is a different Mark Smith, not my bud. My bud is an atheist, not a Gnostic. Good GAWD yer sumthin else.

• aniron
    aniron

Are there any books that do the same for the Koran?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koran

(See the bibliography and links at the end of the page)

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I haven't read the book yet, but looked it up on Amazon, and I know this is something I need for christmas!lol

The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy by C. Dennis McKinsey (Author)

a review...(and most of them are good)

Incredibly detailed refutation of Biblical 'infallibility'., February 11, 1999

Reviewer: A customer from Atlanta, Georgia
    I purchased this book less than five months ago and have already found it wonderfully effective in shooting down the arguments of fundamentalist Christian 'apologists' who show up at my doorstep. I've read many books listing scriptural contradictions and mistakes, but none of them had such an all-encompassing scope as this one. There were errors pointed out by McKinsey that I had never heard or read anywhere before. A must-have for anyone wanting freedom from the bondage of an oppressive, literalistic religion. Anyone who could believe the Bible to be inerrant after reading this simply proves that such a belief is not based on 'truth' or facts to begin with.
  • Chemosh
    Chemosh

Has anyone (beside me) ever heard of Lloyd Barre?

I discovered him on B-hebrews.

A Brilliant Deceit and Other Essays

Paperback: 154 pages

Publisher: Writers Club Press (May, 2001)

Language: English

ISBN: 059517518X

Description:

In the first part of A Brilliant Deceit and Other Essays, the author offers fresh evidence to support a thesis put forward by the famous New Testament scholar Hermann Samuel Reimarus (1694-1768) that the disciples of Jesus perpetrated a resurrection hoax. That evidence is presented in a series of short essays that contain references to overlapping observations made by Reimarus. The second part of the book isolates socio-religious trajectories in ancient Israelite religion. The author's fundamental findings challenge the widespread notion that ancient Israel was a homogeneous culture united under the worship of the high god Yahweh Sabaoth. Instead, he argues that the Old Testament traditions are not the product of one people but two, originally and distinctly worshipping the high gods El and Yahweh.

What ever happened to this guy?

He wrote this book and then dropped off the face of the earth.

I think the “second part” is great. I bet he died or went insane. (Or both.)

Here's an example of his work - but I don’t think he is associated with this site

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

The Bible Unearthed is brilliant stuff - exactly what history and archaeology should be. But the book that really got me into questioning the historicity of the Bible was Egypt, Canaan and Israel in Ancient Times, by Donald B. Redford. It's a little older - 1992 I think - but it's just as solid and unshakeable in its conclusions.

• Shining One
    Shining One

Thanks for the clarification on which Mark Smith they are talking about.....there are probably millions of 'Mark Smiths', LOL
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit