SNG in Kyoto: Picture collection!

by seattleniceguy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey gang!

SNG here, reporting live in Japan. I've just returned from a three-day trip to Kyoto, which must surely be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I've chosen a few pics to share....

Leaving Tokyo on the 6:50 Nozomi. This bullet train moved us over the 500km distance in a bit over two hours!

Nanzenji.

Seattle meets Kyoto.

I found as I was going through my pics that I had taken a lot of photos of paths and open doors. And I tended to be the happiest with the way they had turned out. I think I find them fascinating because of the inherent symbolism and implied questions: Where does the path lead? What is on the other side of the door? What lies around the bend?

Tenjuan, a small temple that is a part of the Nanzenji complex.

Ginkakuji. I visited this temple near sunset, and the low sun cast wonderful warm light on moss for which this temple is famous.

The temple in the distance is the true Ginkakuji, or Silver Temple. The name is a reference to an earlier temple called the Golden Temple, which is actually plated in gold. The builder of this site intended to plate the building in silver but died before that could happen.

Fushimi.

Kiyomizudera.

Nightlife. Kyoto has all these pedestrian alleys with bars and restaurants on either side, like an elaborate secret city. We had some sake and good eats at a bar on this street.

It was really an enjoyable trip. I hope you enjoyed being a part of it!

SNG

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Absolutely beautiful.

Very spiritual. I appreciated your commentary on the paths and doors. Those photos sure captured the mystere.

-Aude.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

awesome pics SNG - thanks for sharing... freedomlover

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

I really like the visual impact of the Fushimi torii. The last picture of the alleyway, is that in the Gion district? The street looks real clean, and the gutter is of curious design. Like Aude, I too appreciated your comment on the paths and doors. Kind of like a Rothko painting. What is over the hill?

Thanks for sharing your pix.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

stealyourface,
    >> The last picture of the alleyway, is that in the Gion district?
    Yes, although it might be a bit too far north to be in Gion proper. But it is close to that area.
    SNG

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

SNG:
    Oh, I'm in agony! How I wish I was back there! There's something about Japan - its people, its scenery, its culture, the blossom on the trees, the.....oh, everything.

You've just awoken it in me again.

Marvellous pics. Thx so much for sharing.

Cheers, Ozzie

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

(((SNG)))

Thanks so much for sharing, the pics are beautiful!

-Doodle-V

• NOdenial
    NOdenial

Awesome SNG!

I was wondering how you were doing over there! Looks like you are having a great time!

(Very well deserved after the pace of work you had over the last year.)

Thanks for sharing!

NOdenial...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was in Kyoto a few years ago. Simply gorgeous. Thanks for reminding me what I'm missing.

(I took a ton of photos too). Did you go to Nara? A day trip to Miyajima and Hiroshima was also nice.

Did you get a JR pass? Only foreigners can get them, and they're really convenient on the Shinkansens (esp. if you get the Green Car ones).

• Quotes
    Quotes

IMO, you have a great eye for what constitutes a great photograph. Wonderful composition. Kyoto looks beautiful. Raise a glass of sake for JWD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit