Headship principle

by TheListener 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day and the subject of headship came up.

I believe that the Bible clearly shows that the man is the head of the family.

However, I don't believe the society portrays that headship in a correct fashion.

In my opinion the society really endorses a type of headship that doesn't really square with the teachings of the Bible.

As my fade has progressed (remember we're talking several years here) my style of headship has changed very little. I've never been a domineering head who bossed his wife around and made hard and fast rules for the family, but, before the fade started, I felt like I could if I needed to and sometimes even felt that I wasn't a very good head because I was too soft.

Now, I feel like I'm a good head of the family and that pretty much the way I've been doing it does square with the bible's viewpoint. Now I can be the head I was but without the guilt.

I'm looking for what others here think the Bible describes for the actions of the head of the family. Or if you feel the Bible doesn't give man the headship in the family arrangment.

• Emma
    Emma

It would appear that the Bible gives headship to the husband.

I don't believe the Bible.

I believe patriarchy has been bad for women and children.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I don't believe the Bible anymore.

However, I do think the Bible clearly says the husband is head of wife.

Just to throw a wrench in the mix, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with a headship arrangement if two people agree on it. I'd prefer it to be that way or maybe even the way these people do it: www.takeninhand.com

Anyhow, I seen that some people actually try to say it's a good christian thing to spank your wife. I don't think the Bible supports that view at all. Ironically, my wife, who is stil a JW, doesn't follow any sort of headship principle. Is it Ephesian 5 or Galatians 5. Can't remember, but it says the husband is head of wife as Christ is head of the congregation. So I don't see any room for domineering there. Basically, I think the husband has to take the lead by example and by giving direction to his family including his wife. Of course the Bible also says the wife is to submit to her husband no matter what as long as there is no conflice with bible law, but ultimately she has the choice to follow that direction just as she has the choice to follow bible law. Of course, the husband may get input from the wife before making decisions or giving direction. But I see no biblical provision for the husband to discipline the wife in any way if she decides to ignore his direction. According to the Bible he is simply do to do everything possible to earn respect and submission from his wife and if she decides she doesn't want to do it, tough for him or maybe not so bad if you have an equal partnership with a mature adult.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The Bible was written by men, for men. We women have never had much say in the religion of the Bible.

I guess if you want to base your relationship on a book that was written by men who would not even let their wives and daughters leave the house when they were having a period, that's your perogative... I think that most men treat their women better without religion getting involved at all.

J

• young hearts, be free..
    young hearts, be free..

The Bible was written by men, for men.

I guess if you want to base your relationship on a book that was written by men who would not even let their wives and daughters leave the house when they were having a period, that's your perogative... I think that most men treat their women better without religion getting involved at all.

J I am sooo with jeannie on this one - you've summed it up perfectly babe, my thoughts too !!

• Legolas
    Legolas

My father has a plaque on the wall..."I am the head of this house, and I have my wifes permission to say so!"

That says it all!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This is just wrong on so many levels. At the time they wrote this wives were considered property as were slaves. The advice about treating your wife as your own body was advanced for that time, in a relative sense.

Why would gender make one person best for the role of "head"? What if the wife is more efficient and more intelligent and brings home the bigger paycheck? Does she still then have to bow to her husband's wishes? What if he wants to be the stay-at-home dad? What if
    ---shudder--- they want to be equal partners and have an equal and joint say in decisions?

This is the same book that advocates stoning children for sassing their parents.

Sherry

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Why an intelligent mature woman would need a "head" is the question that Christians need to explain. Is she less equipped to reason out issues? Is she given to childish impulses? Is she untrustworthy?

My life got a whole lot easier and my marriage an lot more enjoyable once I gave up the whole notion of headship in our partnership.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Why would I want to be someone's "head"? I get into enough shit on my own without having to be responsible for someone else's actions too.

W

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Why would I want to be someone's "head"?

Ooops.....Never mind!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit