What Did YOU Give Up For The "Truth"???

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

My mind.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

friends at school. going to the prom. a relationship with my df'd step-sister. college. competitive sports. holiday activities. a normal life.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Since I was born into the cult the only thing that I can think of that I unconsciously was giving up was truth.

• dinah
    dinah

My first love, that one stings.

Proms, anything extracurricular, college. I was df'd at 18, but still had the mindset that there wasn't time to graduate college. Who would've thought we'd all still be here?? Being born in, I guess I just missed a childhood without constant guilt and anxiety. One of these days I'll post my story, when I can get it concise and not all rambling nonsense.

At least now I have plenty of time to look back and brood. On the up side, I've never done drugs--but I drink like a fish (good old self-medication), I'm also a good reader, since I learned to read the bible before I even started school. Maybe it's not ALL bad----just MOST of it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Peace of Mind

Mental Sanity

Holidays

Non-jw family/friends (so basically, everyone I knew)

Educational goals

Career goals

Full happiness in being alive

Priceless TIME

• Golf
    Golf

Believe it or not, I did my thing. And plenty of that was questionable.

Golf

• juni
    juni

Good evening all -

We missed out as a family. Not much time for recreation, down time, hurrying all the time getting 4 kids ready for mtgs. and assemblies. Gave up old friends. Religion really played havoc with our parents and siblings. Kids suffered from teachers because of being JWs. Kids gave up being in sports and other activities because they were not acceptable. Dealing w/depression with myself and my youngest son because of the religion. Just a lot of heartache because of the hypocrisy and judging by others. Juni ~~~~~~~

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

My mind. I became absolutely neurotic. I started having panic attacks. It was horrible. If it weren't for the panic attacks, I'd probably still be in that religion. I guess that they were a blessing in disguise. I still have to take meds to control my heart palpitations. I still have problems with associating with people. But, I can work! After I left, I was able to get through college and get my RN degree. I've lost a lot of things, just can't name them all. Believe it or not, I can identify with Michael Jackson.

I miss my kids (the two that are shunning me). I wish that I could figure out a way to connect to them. Don't know how to fix that.

• bailabklyn
    bailabklyn

cheerleading, a dance career, finding myself earlier in life, out-of-state college (I DID go, but i had to live at home), social grace (I feel like i've had forced "friendships" my entire life)

But i have no regrets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit