The Grasshopper 'IN' The Shoe Box

by Golf 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• under74
    under74

golf-- I think you're making too much of age. I'm smarter than my mom (and several other older people I know) ...and that's not out of spite or young opinion. Some just seem to not learn lessons or take in knowledge all that well.

sports are game, not life. People go about life in different ways. Most of the time there's no right or wrong way.

Just my opinion.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Very true I did not answer your PM. It amused me to say the least. But it's not kosher to be asking for my personal information and address as you did. Hence, you did not get a reply. Perhaps you should review what being "important" means.

All the world says,
    "I am important;
    I am separate from all the world.
    I am important because I am separate,
    Were I the same, I could never be important.

"Yet here are three treasures
    That I cherish and commend to you:
    The first is compassion,
    By which one finds courage.
    The second is restraint,
    By which one finds strength.
    And the third is unimportance,
    By which one finds influence.

Those who are fearless, but without compassion,
    Powerful, but without restraint,
    Or influential, yet important,
    Cannot endure.

• Golf
    Golf

Under74, most of my life has been influenced by older people. In my community many of them are passing away and its' like part of me is also going. It was older folks that got me playing golf. I was NEVER into golf, baseball, yes!

What I have learned in golf, life has many similarities. The ups and downs are ever present. Here's a quote from my golf book, the ABC's of Golf chapter 9,

"A GOLFER KILLED over slow play. Shocking news. But a true story. On October 19, 1996, a 51 year-old playing at golf course in Wisconsin was kicked and punched by a 26 year-old golfer for slow play, resulting in his death."

When emotions are involved, look out! Golf is about emotions.

Golf

• under74
    under74

But that's you. Some of us have experienced other things. BUT you can't treat every person you run into as a potential competitor. I'm sure you see golf the same way as one of my professors saw baseball--a way to look at life. There are different analogies and ways to look at it though and different ways to learn and live it.

I'm glad you had a good experience with older people and sports...but that's you.

• Golf
  • Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Golf, Perhaps I view this story differently than others. I think the shoe box is the organization. Those of us here have already jumped out, but that doesn't mean that we can automatically now go pole vaulting or long jumping. It takes a long time to overcome that conditioning. Bitching and moaning is part of the process of healing as long as you don't get stuck there.

A lot of the time when I'm stuck (habit or something else), yes, it is mental. I know I hold myself back more than anyone. But its mine to discover and it has never helped me to be told so by someone else (in that case). Yes, feedback is important, but there's some internal clock that tells us when its time to move on when we're stuck in a rut.

Just my 2 cents.

Sherry

• Golf
    Golf

under74, I totally agree with you. If people can relate to something from their past that made them happy or contented and connect it to the present, it makes life easier to cope with.

For me, 'contentment" came about by my involvement in sports, this was the medium for me to release myself from the org.

I've already commented about competition, its' not about winning or losing its' being where the action is.

Theodore Roosevelt said;

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end triumph of high achievment; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Golf

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Gretchen....good point. Sometimes we need to just sit back and reflect on life's challenges. Then it's time for action, so therefore we move. Life is a journey and an adventure, not a competition.

• nilfun
    nilfun
    How can one jump out of the shoe box?

Maybe by getting a "boost" from the others that are also trying to get out.

If grasshoppers rub together long enough, they will grow wings.

• Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit