The Grasshopper 'IN' The Shoe Box

by Golf 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Golf
    Golf

I came across this story and it had to do with people who yell, scream and bitch about everything in life, and they can't and don't 'do' anything about it.

This fisherman (Dave)picked up a newly fisherman (Paul)in his community one early morning, and on route to their destination, which was some distance, Paul noticed a shoe box on the front seat. He also heard lots of noises in the shoe box.

After some miles, he ask Dave what's in the shoe box, Dave said, grasshoppers, grasshoppers, what for? Dave said, for bait, Paul said, bait? How can you use them for bait when they will be jumping out the box when you reach for them. Dave kept silent. As they neared there destination, the jumping slowly subsided. When they reached their fishing site and got everything ready, there were no more noises in the shoe box. Dave opened the shoe box and picked out a grasshopper and put him on his hook. None of the grasshoppers had jumped out of the box, why? Dave 'conditioned' them. Oh yes, the grasshoppers were jumping alright but they couldn't jump out of the shoe box, they were conditioned to jump to a certain level.

In my many active years in golf competition, golfers like these grasshoppers 'condition' themselves to a certain level and they stay there. They will 'never' advance to the next level, oh, they will play golf alright but they will never achieve goals.

The organization has stymied the 'emotional' growth of its' adherents and like the grasshopper they can't jump out of the shoe box. Oh, they can yell, scream and bitch what the org. has done to them, but, they can't jump out of the box.

Its' difficult maybe next to impossible for'emotionally'handicapped/conditioned people to set and reach goals. You can only jump to a certain height/level like the grasshopper.

How can one jump out of the shoe box?

Golf

• under74
    under74

mmm...it's a thought provoking story. What I'm thinking though is that for some being able to bitch and moan about what's happened to them might just be a step towards jumping out of the box.

It's true though that other steps have to be taken and self-evaluations made eventually.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

"How can one jump out of the shoe box?"

By not living in a crappy analogy? LOL.

• under74
    under74

enigma, I know you're a nice person so...be nice.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I am being nice. If you can't laugh at 7 in the morning. When can you laugh? Did I use the wrong emoticon? Should I have used......

instead? LOL

• Golf
    Golf

This analogy applys to a fly. Catch a fly and put it into a jar, make sure there's holes on the cover.

I guess you'll be in a shoe box along time Enigma, your age reveals that. Jump for joy.

By the way under74, moaning and crying over spilled milk is jumping, but, your still not jumping out of the box.

Golf

• under74
    under74

re-read my first post golf.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

My concern is not who's in the shoebox, but who will end up in the pine box first, Golf? In the end no man wins that race or competition. Amen.

Those who wish to change the world
    According with their desire
    cannot succeed.

The world is shaped by the Way;
    It cannot be shaped by the self.
    Trying to change it, you damage it;
    Trying to possess it, you lose it.

So some will lead, while others follow.
    Some will be warm, others cold
    Some will be strong, others weak.
    Some will get where they are going
    While others fall by the side of the road.

So the sage will be neither extravagant nor violent.

• Golf
    Golf

Interesting EG, I guess you have first hand knowledge of what you copied, correct? At the age of 31, your under this illusion that you have the experience of a 75 year old. What would we do without illusions?

By the way, you didn't answer my PM.

Keep this up and Ozzie will soon block this thread.

I would loveeeeeeeeeee to have a game of golf with you. Tell me where you live and maybe I can make some arrangements.

Golf

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Hey there Golfy Boy ....you are talking me to play Golf! (remember?)

Brookie

p.s. bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit