'Gay weddings' are legal in the UK from today. How do you feel about it?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest social relationships

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hundreds of gay couples are preparing to form civil partnerships in the coming weeks as the law changes after decades of campaigning. At least 1,200 ceremonies are confirmed as being scheduled already and registrars are preparing for the first ceremonies, with couples permitted to register from Monday morning.

So how do you feel about it? There sure wasn't the same outcry on our side of the pond as there was over 'there'. Are us Brit's simply more tolerant? Less prejudiced? Have we taken the Biblical Blinkers off? Or are we all just doomed to a future of Sodomite morals and perversity?

Personally I think there are only two realistic options; scrap marriage or allow it for all.

Nic'

• undercover
    undercover

Whether it's "there" or "here" I wonder, "what's the big deal?" How is it that two gay people getting married is going to affect me or my life in any way? If it doesn't affect me, then who am I to worry about it?

Neo-cons over here like to make a big deal about it and how it's wrong somehow based on their fundemental belief in the Bible all the while ignoring their own vices and sins. Hypocritical bastards. And W played em like a cheap fiddle all the way to the polls.

The only real winner in gay marriage, however, are divorce lawyers. Their income will increase substantially in a few years when gay divorces start taking place.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

oh my god, what is next? are we going to stop killing people in the name of God? or stop hating people who dont believe as we do? what is this world coming too?!!!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

My old boss related to my an experience of two gay men that she had known. They had lived together all their lives and had a beautiful relationship. Eventually one of them began to get very sick and was put in hospital. It presented problems to his partner because he wasn't recognised as a family member when it came to helping making decisions about medical treatment etc. When his partner died the family contested the will, because again the other guy wasn't recognised as a family member. A legal battle ensued and fortunately the partner won.

I am sure this is not an isolated case. These two men invested years together. They built their life together. Why should people be able to take things away from them because they are not recognised as family members.

I think that if a couple truly in love and appreciate the permanance of marriage want to proceed with it then go for it.

• skyman
    skyman

What the heck they screw with or without being married. But what bothers me is now they other mate can get medical and other benefits that the UK can't afford anyway so the more that get married the less benefits for you.

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

My mind has trouble comprehending the issue of gays getting married, but since I have no problem with gay people, I am not opposed to them getting married.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

God only hopes that gay folks could revolutionize the wedding industry. Get rid of those tacky tuxedos and bridesmaid's dresses.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I think it's great.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Once again, the UK is showing itself to be more civilized than the US. I think it's great that they're letting gays wed, and I look forward to the day when all US citizens will likewise be given equal rights.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

They're really civil unions, not marriages, so as not to offend the conservatives too much.

Once again, the UK is showing itself to be more civilized than the US. I think it's great that they're letting gays wed, and I look forward to the day when all US citizens will likewise be given equal rights.

Don't hold your breath. They're a lot of republicans in the US. If there's anything republicans can't stand it's someone different from them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit