'Gay weddings' are legal in the UK from today. How do you feel about it?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest social relationships

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm from Vermont, the state that was the very first to allow civil unions for gays and lesbians. I was a journalist during the debate that preceeded this becoming law here, and I was also still involved in the Witnesses at that time.

I remember covering a few very important forums on this - you can imagine that it was with a bit of trepidation that I attended my first gay marriage forum - in a church of all places. When I got there, I was a bit taken aback to realize that I knew at least half of the people there. There was a woman doctor I knew, a woman chiropractor, one of the executives in a company I had worked for, and several old friends and neighbors. It took the JW blinders off about who the gay and lesbian community actually is, and what their "agenda" was. All part of my education as I left "the truth."

I also covered a meeting by a state politician whose soul purpose in getting elected was to fight the gay marriage initiative. This woman was a born again Christian, and her meetings were filled with so much misinformation, hatred and ugliness that it sorely tested my objectivity as a reporter.

I remember being at a Witness get-together at the time, and there were some Witnesses there from California, saying how everyone was laughing at Vermont because of the gay marriage issue. I told this brother that the civil unions bill was very likely to pass, as well it should.

"What about Jehovah's law?" he just about shouted at me, which you might say quieted the party quite a bit.

I explained that this was a civil rights issue, and stemmed directly from the same battle that JWs had waged for civil rights.

"If people don't allow gays and lesbians their civil rights under the law because they don't like them or like their lifestyle," I told him, "guess who else people don't like? The Witnesses. And when you deny one group of people their rights, you can deny others theirs. The law and civil rights aren't there to protect the people in power, they're there to protect the minority. You better hope this law passes - or you know who they may come after next."

You could have heard a pin drop.

S4

• MossHart
    MossHart

I'm cool with it. There's no reason why they can't have a legitimate marriage just like straight couples can.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Hey if us straight couples can be miserable.....why should they get all the fun. Let them join us I say. LOL

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

you mean you are straight enigma - with an avatar like that? thats my second big shock of the day!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

*Hi fives Crumpt*

• Scully
    Scully

Aside from the obvious benefits (inheritance, insurance, etc) for the partners in these civil unions, I can see it opening up a whole new niche in the legal profession: Divorce Attorneys for Gay Couples.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

straight / gay ..... labels.....always labels.

LOL

IP don't think I don't know where you live. I've been flirting with Ms. Arrowstar for quite some time now. I'll let you lick whipped creme off my abs too, like Legolas' husband last night.

And Crumpet....I'll see to you later. LOL

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Whipped cream?

I may swoon.....

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

oh guys now i am laughing out loud! i'm shaking in my fluffy slippers enigma - but thats cos the doors open and its a chilly day in the UK!

arrowstar - hail to thee sweetie - you always have em flocking after you! altho a little warning - i think enigma is just trying to prove he is straight!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I've been flirting with Ms. Arrowstar for quite some time now.

Well good for you brother. Cuz if there is anyone who could make a gay man straight it'd be arrow...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit