Greatest guitarist of all time?

by perfectpie 45 Replies latest social entertainment

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Saw Hendrix live? Hmmm. You must be old......

I believe the criteria for "greatest guitarist" would have to be individuals that have cross genre capabilities and how well they master each of the techniques for performing each style. That narrows down the "greatest" by quite a bit.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I am oooooooooold, pom. Saw Janis Joplin too.

Are you saying the greatest guitarist can play rock, heavy metal, country, and classical with equal skill?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

blondie...too funny on the old. ...I'm no spring chicken, but never saw JJ or JH...slightly before my time.

Re multi genre...Don't forget jazz...

Personally, I think guitar greatness constitutes the most diversity of skill in multiple styles on the instrument. Each style carries it's weight of emotional content with it. The more styles a player can encapsulate, the more diverse his presentation of artistic emotion can be communicated to the listener.

There are only a FEW that fit that bill...

Edited by - pomegranate on 6 October 2002 13:35:13

• blondie
    blondie

I knew I missed one, pom...jazz. Well, pom, I think that is because the person understands the instrument first, then applies that knowledge to the music.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    My ear says Satriani is ALL gimmicky. That's his stock in trade. Not that it's bad...

When I said Joe is never gimmicky, what I meant is that his playing is always with purpose, not "watch this amazing useless technical trick I can do with my guitar - gee aren't you amazed that I can do that?" It was flashy/no-soul pretenders (like Steve Vai) who did that and that is what sunk the guitar-wizard scene that I spoke of. A bunch of guys who heard Joe said to themselves "I'm gonna learn to play like that" and were able to match (and even exceed) his speed and skill, but they never matched his awesome musical vision.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why does speed make a guitarist's music better? If he slowed down, would that make his stuff sound less good? Same w drumming. If faster is better than wouldn't guys who like this like some of the rave songs that have the fastest beats? Personally, IMO some reggae w slow beats are nice too.

SS

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

>>Why does speed make a guitarist's music better?

I don't think it makes it better, it makes it more challenging to perform along with stimulating the listeners ear. Fluidic speed (with artful finese) also has given someone like JS his own sound that is highly sought after as something worth imitating by others.

Same with some classical guitar pieces, which sometimes uses quick tempo interludes threading together some tight knit difficult to perform chordal arrangements. Challenging to perform, stimulating to listen to. It doesn't make it better per se.

In my opinion, a truly great guitar player is diverse. Though there are surely great players that stay in their own genre, of which I respect many.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

How about a lil John Lee Hooker???

Ven

• LB
    LB

I used to live down the road from John Lee Hooker. He had breakfast in the same cafe as I did a couple of times a week. I forgot about him.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Jimi Hendrix

Yngwie Malmsteen (I don't think anyone can touch him, really. I've seen him in concert - his creativity is brilliant - he's a little arrogant, but oh well)

Jimmy Page (see what Satan can do for you!?!?)

Joe Satch

Steve Vai

Those would be my picks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit