Greatest guitarist of all time?

by perfectpie 45 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Why does speed make a guitarist's music better?

If speed is the only thing you can do, then it doesn't. But an extremely fast flurry of notes, played well and at the right time, can be extremely satisfying to listen to. If a guitarist uses speed skillfully and artfully, the speed is purposeful and adds to the emotional impact of the song. Eric Johnson is a perfect example of this. If you've ever heard the outro solo from the song Desert Rose...damn!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Many years ago, I saw Glen Campbell and John Denver on the Tonight Show. They both played guitar on that show. John Denver was embarrassed because Glen was so much better. They weren't even in the same league. I think Glen Campbell is very much underrated. He was awesome on that show. John Denver could accompany himself like many people I know. An okay guitarist, but not really skilled. Just okay.

What kind of guitar are you asking about? We love slack key. For that there are none better than Ledward Kaapana, Ray Kane, Keola Beamer, and George Kahanamoku. A friend of ours, named Kory, is as good as any of them.

Our own Makena is pretty good too. But then he is a really good pianist too.

Edited by - mulan on 6 October 2002 19:56:25

• Farkel
    Farkel

I said Andres Segovia, and I will now present my evidence:

He could play four-voiced Bach Fugues on the guitar. To me, that is an impossible feat for that instrument. That means he is playing four DIFFERENT contra-puntal melodies at ONCE on an accoustic guitar. No magic from the sound studio. No help from anyone else. Just him. One of his few students was "Charro", the "goochy-goochy" girl with the awesome hooters. She faked her dumb act and was another awesome accoustic guitarist. I know. I met her. She is one of the classiest women I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When she plays Maliguena on the guitar, you will think you've died and gone to heaven.

And he (Segovia) could play everything played by those other guitarists you all mentioned with one hand tied between his back, figuratively speaking.

I rest my case, your honor.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

Mulan,

: What kind of guitar are you asking about? We love slack key. For that there are none better than Ledward Kaapana, Ray Kane, Keola Beamer, and George Kahanamoku. A friend of ours, named Kory, is as good as any of them.

I've spent many months in the Islands and made many visits there. Seven, actually. I even prefer the Islands over my beloved San Diego. Gabby Pahinui is still considered the best-of-the-best at slack-key. I fell in love with slack key and bought several of his albums. My girl friend over there introduced me to many Hawaiian delights, including slack key. She recorded an album and also had a bit-part in "Joe Versus the Volcano." Watching her play slack key in the nude still brings back fond memories. She also did an awesome arrangement of Mason Williams' "Classical Gas". Hell, that wasn't that long ago! (I should have married that woman. Doh me!)

The link I've provided said this: "The most influential slack key guitarist in history was Gabby Pahinui [1921-1980]."

A little bit of slack key history>

Farkel

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Slash
    Jimmie Hendrix
    Jimmy Page
    Eric Clapton
    Stevie Ray Vaughn

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

Edited by - Revmalk on 8 October 2002 12:23:24

• Mulan
    Mulan

Farkel, I forgot all about Gabby. We've seen Cyril play too. This Sunday we are going to a little festival featuring Ledward Kaapana, and Owana Salazar. She is an awesome singer and guitarist. When we were in Hawaii last time, I tried to buy a CD of her, but couldn't find one, so I looked up her website, phoned her and she called me back. She is such a doll!!

We love the islands too, and have been there too many times to calculate. My husband says that the worst thing, and the best thing, he ever did was take me to Hawaii. All I could think about for years, was the next trip. We went every year for years and years. Sometimes twice in one year. We are going again in two months with many in our family, and have been planning this trip for over a year...........it's getting so close now.

I forgot about Charo too. She is great...............Princess went to see her perform in Hawaii and said she puts on a really great show too.

Edited by - mulan on 8 October 2002 11:38:0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit