Does a person know if he has been saved?

by Honesty 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scully

I'm an atheist. I'm a humanist. I don't care whether I'm Saved™ or not. I do what I do because I am free to make that choice. I do what is right, moral and ethical because I want to, not because I want or need a Reward™ or a Gift™ from a God™ I don't believe in. I do those things because it makes my life and the lives of those around me enjoyable. I do those things because I expect it of myself, not because I'm trying to win God's Approval™.

Forgive me for asking it this way, but, can an atheist have any righteousness other than self-righteousness? If so how? Do you think true Christians are " trying to win God's Approval"?

I don't need to have the "gift", "promise", "reward" or "bribe" of Salvation™ in order to be a good person and live a good, moral, decent life.

Is that what you think real Christians need?

Other people believe they've been Saved™, and live as though nothing they do is going to take that away from them. They can be drunks, they can be addicts, they can be in the Mafia and give large sums of money to the Church, and that's la-dee-dah ok with God™.

Is this how you see most Christians? D Dog

• Scully
    Scully

Deputy Dog:

Forgive me for asking it this way, but, can an atheist have any righteousness other than self-righteousness? If so how?

Well, for one thing, I wouldn't call my life "righteous" or even "self-righteous". That's a label with religious overtones and I wouldn't use it with reference to myself. As I said, I think I'm a "good" person, a "decent" person, someone with "values" and "morals". But don't try to pin the "righteous" label on me, it's definitely not "moi".

Do you think true Christians are " trying to win God's Approval"?

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "true Christians". And to be honest with you, what "true Christians" and "counterfeit Christians" do really doesn't matter to me. But the concept of 'winning God's Approval' is the framework I'm familiar with - both from the JW context and the people I know who wear their Christianity on their sleeve. Don't get me wrong, most of these people are really nice sweet people (when they aren't telling me that they're praying for me or trying to proselytize me on company time) and very good at what they do professionally. I just wonder if they are good people because they think they have to be a walking billboard for Jesus, and what they would be like if they weren't trying to shove religion down my throat when they get an opportunity.

I don't need to have the "gift", "promise", "reward" or "bribe" of Salvation™ in order to be a good person and live a good, moral, decent life.
    Is that what you think real Christians need?

Again, you're qualifying by calling them "real Christians". And seriously, I do wonder whether a lot of people who hold to all kinds of different belief systems (not just Christianity) that makes promises and offers "gifts" for belonging to that particular group, need that religious "crutch" in order to make them behave in a way that the belief system defines as acceptable. Would the Muslim suicide bomber offer to martyr him or herself if there was no hope of a reward in "Paradise" for them? Would the JW tolerate persecution and derision if they didn't believe that there was a hope of having their suffering provide some "meaning" for them at a later time? Would the JW go door-to-door and attend all those meetings if there wasn't a carrot dangling in front of them?

Other people believe they've been Saved™, and live as though nothing they do is going to take that away from them. They can be drunks, they can be addicts, they can be in the Mafia and give large sums of money to the Church, and that's la-dee-dah ok with God™.
    Is this how you see most Christians?

No, but I know of some who do. "Christians" are sometimes the worst advertisements for their belief system. What it boils down to, is that 25 years of being a JW has turned me off of ALL religions. It's nothing personal. I'm just jaded and cynical. And I'm happier than I've ever been in my entire life.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Romans 10:13 (HCSB) For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

I don't know that I ever really understood JWism perfectly, but my experience with it tells me that JW's could only apply this scripture to living people, because, with a few possible exceptions, everybody who dies before Armageddon hits will be resurrected in the new system as a perfect person anyway. So this 1st century letter really only applies to the voluntary sales force of a 20th century religious publishing company and their contemporaries in the world.

Just more mental gymnastics that I never could really do without feeling silly.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

People are not products of their religion/beliefs. The religion/beliefs are products of the people. A kindhearted Christian will someday be a kindhearted atheist. A kindhearted atheist will someday be a kindhearted Christian. Sometimes strong bonds to a group can temprarily influence a person to act counter their nature but soon the bonds weaken and the person finds themselves.

• heathen
    heathen

I remember going to a pentacostal church and someone asked , had I been saved , and my answer was, it is up to God to determine who is saved and not for me , and he replied that if he had asked anybody else if they had been saved in the church they would all have said yes without even thinking about it . I don't think I'm such a bad guy but is that good enough ? I can compare myself to alot of people and say I'm more deserving . Jesus did say many would come in his name but be nothing more than ravenous wolves , so just because you believe or take his name does not mean you are saved . I think it is about being involved and facing adversity on account of the name as jesus also said ," he that is loving his soul will lose it and he that loses his soul for my sake will gain it eternally .

• mdb
    mdb
    Why didn't Jesus just tell everyone not to worry if they stumbled...or were angry with their brother..... since they would be saved regardless? Why did he give a consequence for disobeying his words?

Gumby,

Would you obey Him if you thought that you could do anything you wanted and commit any and all kinds of sin as often as you wanted and still escape hellfire?

If you do know Him and love His holy commands, you will do what pleases Him. God changes the heart of a man and the Spirit will produce good fruit in those whom He dwells. You may not be perfect, but your desire will be for His kingdom and His works and you'll want to do what is just and right.

The Scriptures you quoted were all from the sermon on the Mount. Jesus was talking to a great assembly in the sermon on the Mount during the start of His ministry. Most of the people did not believe in Him as the Son of God and religion had become legalistic and ritualistic among God's chosen nation. Jesus was clarifying the reason for certain commandments and how they pertain to the condition of the heart, not an outward act. The warnings are for our benifit as well as for those who do not believe.

• mdb
    mdb

Scully,

Seriously, I don't care if I am or if I'm not. ; I don't need to be bribed to live a decent lifestyle and be a good person.

You should care. Salvation is not for this life as you seem to think, but about your eternal destiny. Are you sure you're willing to throw eternal life away? All men will have to give an account to God one day. At that time, when it's too late, I'm sure you won't have the same attitude. I hope that in that moment, you won't have the regret of tossing away God's free gift to you. He died for you.

• mdb
    mdb

Undecided,

This is a clear contradiction. He says you will never die if you believe, but even though you believe and do die...... If you're saved you won't die but I can't be sure, you might die anyway, but don't worry you will still live.

John 11:25,26 means this:

Those who believe in Jesus Christ will live spiritually even though he dies physically. Again, those who live physically and believe in Jesus Christ will never die spiritually.

The question is asked of you. "Do you believe this?"

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scully

As I said, I think I'm a "good" person, a "decent" person, someone with "values" and "morals"

I believe that is a form of righteousness. These are not the type of people Jesus came to save. They don't believe they need saving and they believe they can save themselves. Luke 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician: but they that are sick 32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "true Christians". And to be honest with you, what "true Christians" and "counterfeit Christians" do really doesn't matter to me. But the concept of 'winning God's Approval' is the framework I'm familiar with - both from the JW context and the people I know who wear their Christianity on their sleeve. Don't get me wrong, most of these people are really nice sweet people (when they aren't telling me that they're praying for me or trying to proselytize me on company time) and very good at what they do professionally. I just wonder if they are good people because they think they have to be a walking billboard for Jesus, and what they would be like if they weren't trying to shove religion down my throat when they get an opportunity.

I would say that anyone who is trying to win God's approval does not know what true faith is. True faith in Christ, is believing that Jesus Christ has done all the work necessary for their Salvation. I serve Christ, because He has already saved me. Not to impress Him with my filthy rags. I could never have anything to impress Him with.

I'm just jaded and cynical.

Sorry to hear that! Thanks for not being offended by my questions. D Dog

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Yeah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit