Does a person know if he has been saved?

by Honesty 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• anewme
    anewme

Maybe some scriptures are to lure you in and offer you salvation and others are for after you are in you learn the reality of the situation.

I am currently married to an agnostic man. Absolutely no knowledge of scripture---just common sense.

He claims that you can find scriptures to back up just about every opinion and belief. He complains he has heard the spiels from all sides.

I have to agree that to be a believer one must at some point settle on a particular viewpoint and claim IT as YOUR TRUTH.

The point that persons admittedly non saved should not preach to others how to get saved seems humorously very clear to me.

What a frustrating task it is to decifer this heap of writings believing somewhere therein lies our eternal destiny.

No wonder so many millions of good people have given up and gone back to the plow and left the
    study of religion to the translators and scholars.

"By their fruits you will know them" ......which fruits?
    One way to know who is telling you the truth is to look at the conduct record.
    Again, who is the true org today, the true people, the faithful, do they stand out? And I dont mean just stand out on the street corner!

If Jesus came back today would we recognize him?
    Would we drop everything and follow him?
    Would we leave husbands and wives and houses and jobs and follow him?

• gumby
    gumby
    Would we leave husbands and wives and houses and jobs and follow him?

Not if we obeyed his contadictory words that "a man will leave his parents and STICK to his wife and the two will be one flesh and what god has yoked together, let no man put apart". Take your pick of Jesus own words. Like your husband said....you can find ANY answer you want from the bible if you look hard enough.

Gumby

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My own personal theory - which, of course, I can't prove biblically - is that you are assured of salvation when you are able to stop worrying about it without rubbing other people's noses in your "superior" status.

g ently f eral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

anewme,

Maybe some scriptures are to lure you in and offer you salvation and others are for after you are in you learn the reality of the situation.

In advertising, we call that "bait and switch," and it's illegal. And yet "god's ways are higher than our ways"...?

Otherwise, I enjoyed your post and generally agree with it.

g ently f eral

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    He claims that you can find scriptures to back up just about every opinion and belief. He complains he has heard the spiels from all sides.

I do have at least a JW-provided tour of the Bible and I agree with him. Name your doctrine, you'll find a scripture for it.

Dave

• gumby
    gumby
    Name your doctrine, you'll find a scripture for it.

but if you look in a owners manuel of a ford truck, you'll find explicit details on the right and wrongs of repairing things. Too bad the bible wasn't that specific.....but what do you expect from a god whose "ways are higher than ours"

Gumby

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Scully

You are still thinking like a JW.

Salvation is a gift, not a reward or bribe!

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Main Entry: 1 gift
    Pronunciation: 'gift
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse, something given, talent; akin to Old English giefan to give
    1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
    2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
    3 : the act, right, or power of giving

D Dog

• Undecided
    Undecided

Saved from WHAT? Everyone from the past is dead now unless you beleive some words from an ancient book or some religious persons faith. I think the grave yards pretty well answer the question.

Ken P.

John 11:25 NIV) Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
    (John 11:26 NIV) and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

This is a clear contradiction. He says you will never die if you believe, but even though you believe and do die...... If you're saved you want die but I can't be sure, you might die anyway, but don't worry you will still live.

• Scully
    Scully

DeputyDog

Scully

You are still thinking like a JW.

Salvation is a gift, not a reward or bribe!

Actually, I'm thinking like an atheist/humanist. I call it like I see it. And I don't need Salvation™. I'm doing just fine without it. I don't need to have the "gift", "promise", "reward" or "bribe" of Salvation™ in order to be a good person and live a good, moral, decent life.

The JW works his @$$ off his entire life hoping it will gain him the Reward™ of Living Forever In Paradise On Earth™.

Other people believe they've been Saved™, and live as though nothing they do is going to take that away from them. They can be drunks, they can be addicts, they can be in the Mafia and give large sums of money to the Church, and that's la-dee-dah ok with God™.

I'm an atheist. I'm a humanist. I don't care whether I'm Saved™ or not. I do what I do because I am free to make that choice. I do what is right, moral and ethical because I want to, not because I want or need a Reward™ or a Gift™ from a God™ I don't believe in. I do those things because it makes my life and the lives of those around me enjoyable. I do those things because I expect it of myself, not because I'm trying to win God's Approval™.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Scully: I do what I do because I am free to make that choice.

So do I.

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit