HELP! I STILL HAVEN'T PICKED A MAJOR!

by stillAwitness 14 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

Still,

If you are interested in administration specifically in a health care setting, I would suggest either 1) taking a biology or physiology bachelor degree and then a 2 year M.B.A., my friend did that and is now in medical administration. Or 2) if science is not your thing, stick to a commerce/business degree for the bachelors and then continue with an MBA. The reason I suggest the MBA is that it gives you a significant advantage in the administration field over those with just a bachelors.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Self-Disclosure: College dropout.

In many ways, I am very glad I dropped out of school when I did. I love the job/industry that I am employed in today.() Back then, I would have had to pay for all of my schooling --- and then be in a job that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much. I think folks who wait to attend college have an upper hand.

Once you've finally figured out what you would like to do with your life, it is much easier to choose a curriculum. I am trying to get myself mentally prepared to go back to school, but my priorities need to be adjusted before I make the change. Currently, I play waaay too much volleyball.(and that might not be a bad thing since MSU has a men's club team) And I'm waiting for my work load to settle down a bit too.

But getting back to your degree choice - if you are in an industry that you plan on never leaving, pick a major that closely represents your job field. It's up to you to decide which path to take. Just don't pick what you feel is the most marketable major. If you love what you are doing, choose a curricular path that supports it. If you plan on switching jobs to a different field, is it possible to hold off on your schooling until you settle down with the field that you love? There are quite a few companies out there that will pay for your tuition. How about getting your foot in the door at one of those companies and then let them pay? It sure beats school loans. I will be taking advantage of that luxury with my current company. They even pay tuition up front - I don't have to pay and then get reimbursed.

Finding an employer that will pay for tuition is a huge perk. If you're not tied down to your employer, look around and see who is hiring that offers paid tuition. It beats paying out of your own pocket.

• Flash
    Flash
    Should I pick something specific like Marketing or more broad like: Buisness Administration?

Is a Masters really necessasry?

What about a 2 year? (As you know that is what my parents are expecting. I don't know if they'll be too happy if I decide to transfer.)

All these life-changing decisions to be made. How can people possibly keep telling me: "Don't worry?"

Research and study careers , their "working lifestyles" and their incomes. Pick something you'll enjoy doing and that you can be happy meeting the demands of that work on your life and something that pays a salary your happy with...DON'T SETTLE!!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Go to your counseling office; although they may sway into programs that don't have enough majors; our counselors at my previous college used to do that...better yet, take advantage of the services available at your career center at your university. You're a student; so the services are free!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    taking a biology or physiology bachelor degree and then a 2 year M.B.A., my friend did that and is now in medical administration

That is the field I'm in. There is a LOT of competition--hundreds of applicants for each job. When I get an interview I am usually told there were 100-250 applicants. If you are not willing to move, it is quite limiting. (Healthcare admin. is not projected to have growth in this decade in my state.)

The ones who get the interviews are the ones who have a clinical background first (an undergraduate degree in anything clinical--nursing, radiology tech, social work, etc., plus clinical work experience). MBA is good but MHA (Master's in Healthcare Administration) is even better because it is much more specific to healthcare. MBA is very general and lacks the specific education in healthcare economics, healthcare policy, healthcare ethics, healthcare finance, etc., etc. I have an MHA and my peers with MBAs have to ask me a lot of questions to do the same tasks I am able to do without the help and extensive research they require. My work is consistently evaluated as being more thorough than theirs because I have a more thorough understanding of the issues and operational solutions. The downside is a person with an MBA is more able to move into other unrelated businesses because their knowledge is more general.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit