HELP! I STILL HAVEN'T PICKED A MAJOR!

by stillAwitness 14 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I am about to enter my second semester in college and sure I know: I've got time to decide what I want to do as far as a major goes, but my school is converting into a brand new college by Fall of 06 and they are urging those who are there now to hurry up and finish ASAP since transfering credits and such will soon get tricky once the new college is established.

My counselor says not to worry. I still have until about the fall of 07' but I still feel I am in the dark.

What did you major in college or what is your major now?

It seems like so many people go to college with all these fancy majors like: Psychology, International Buisness etc but end up doing something completely different once they leave? Why is that? Is that normal?

The 3 areas I see myself in are maybe: writing,(though I have been told a major in creative writing won't bring home a paycheck) working in something in buisness, maybe marketing?? Working in a nursing home as a nutritionist? supervisor of patients?

Should I pick something specific like Marketing or more broad like: Buisness Administration?

Is a Masters really necessasry?

What about a 2 year? (As you know that is what my parents are expecting. I don't know if they'll be too happy if I decide to transfer.)

All these life-changing decisions to be made. How can people possibly keep telling me: "Don't worry?"

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm going for Business Administration. Only because I work now, do I know how a degree in that major can help me. It is broad and will give me the foundation I want before post-grad studies.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I started out working toward is degree in computer information systems, but I've realized that the IT field probably won't be there in 10 years like it is today. I switched to Business Administration for two reasons:

1) It's a very portable degree that works about anywhere

2) I love business

My advice is to keep taking the general ed classes until you have a strong feeling about what you want to do. Get a degree in something that you are interested in and you'd love to do the rest of your life.

As for two year degrees, I don't recommend it. In today's changing global economy, a bachelor's will probably be the minimum required for a decent job. I'm looking at going for my masters's next year in business, but only because I want to expand my knowledge, not because I think it will get me more money.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When starting a career, avoid majors such as: History, any language (English, Spanish, Russian, etc), any degree with the word "art", "arts" or "creative" in it... geography, philosophy, "Business Administration" (you don't need a degree to be a secretary) or any other degree that does not directly translate into a good paying professional job that is in high demand and offers opportunity to grow. Sure, if you are lucky you can start off as a secretary and move your way up the ladder over the decades, buy why do that when you can go straight in as a manager with an appropriate degree?

(Sorry, the "Business Administration" thing is not a poke at the other poster)

You can get those kinds of degrees after you are financially stable. I know plenty of very smart people who got degrees like those above and they are scratching around trying to find any kind of employment.

The kinds of degrees you should be looking at are:

Technical (Programming, Engineering, Drafting, Architecture, etc), Legal, Medical, Financial (CPA and such, but NOT "administration").

Again, it is very important that the degree translate directly into a good paying professional job.

Another thing... there are many degrees out there that will qualify you for a position with words like "technician", "aid" or "assistant". If you are feeling bold, I strongly recommend you go for the big jobs. Why be a legal assistant when you can be a lawyer? Why be a medical assistant when you can be a doctor or registered nurse (RN)? Why be a computer technician when you can be an engineer?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    (Sorry, the "Business Administration" thing is not a poke at the other poster)

Understood! And I do agree with what you said:

Again, it is very important that the degree translate directly into a good paying professional job.

While supporting HR in the pharmaceutical industry, I noticed that most of the sales reps have degrees in BA. So, to come out of school at such a young age (or any age) and start doing that will get someone started making good money.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I know numerous RNs and Nurse Practitioners who looooove their work. The demand for fully qualified nurses, with their bachelors of science or masters is huge. They have many job options, scheduling flexibility, job portability, and the pay is great. I know several doctors too. They claim they love their jobs, but they don't glow with satisfaction like the nurses I know. I agree with Elsewhere. Why be an assistant when you can be the real deal. Myself? I got a bachelors in Music and immediately went on to graduate school in education. I teach high school math (not music). Now, more than 15 years later, I have returned to school and will finish my law degree (juris doctorate) in April. They say most people change careers three times in their lives. Don't feel that if you pick something now, it's forever. It could be for five or ten years and you change your mind. There's lots to do out here, a choice now doesn't close off other options. Shoshana

• kid-A
    kid-A

I majored in psychology and physiology but ended up in neurobiology for my career. Tell us more about your interests and long-term goals for a career and we can throw in some more suggestions.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I've got time to decide what I want to do as far as a major goes, but my school is converting into a brand new college by Fall of 06 and they are urging those who are there now to hurry up and finish ASAP since transfering credits and such will soon get tricky once the new college is established.

Don't listen to that tripe. Take your time, and when the moment comes to transfer the credits over stay on top of the admissions people to make sure things get done correctly.

What did you major in college or what is your major now?

I went to a business school immediately after HS (as per the WTS instructions ) and was initially going to major in Accounting. For some reason it seemed too difficult so I changed my major to just Business Admin with a Liberal Arts concentration. I earned my AAS then after 1 year transfered to a University. Again I had a different mindset upon entering as far as a major; I thought that I would like to be an Information Systems major but after 1 class in programming I dropped it and opted for Sociology. Again, only looking for something that wouldn't be too long of a commitment-----you know, the big A was right around the corner (*sucking teeth* ) I earned my BA in Sociology.

I don't regret my Sociology degree, I love reading and learning things in that field but of course the job prospects blow. If I had to do it all over again I would earn 2 degrees: Sociology and Accounting. One for job security one for my own personal benefit. Try to guess which degree would fill into which of my requirements?

It seems like so many people go to college with all these fancy majors like: Psychology, International Buisness etc but end up doing something completely different once they leave? Why is that? Is that normal?

Very normal. You'd be surprised what some people with Psychology majors end up working in! The way to counteract that is by selecting a very specific major---For instance, Forensic Psychologists don't end up as loan officers, nor does an Epidemiologist work at the circulation department of a magazine.

Is a Masters really necessasry?

Completely depends on what you select as your major. I don't think an MBA is really really necessary, but an MSW or MED is indispensible for Social Workers and Teachers, respectively.

All these life-changing decisions to be made. How can people possibly keep telling me: "Don't worry?"

Because those of us who have been there already know: in 5-10 years you'll be wondering "what the hell was I rushing for?"

Good Luck!

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

In response to Kid-A: I have always thought about doing something in the front offices of a nursing home. My mom is a nurse and she's always complained about the administrators and how "they come in from 9-3 just to make phone calls and write out activites for the residents while we gotta clean up poop and give out meds from 3-11) that had me thinking hmmm, sounds good to me!

I suppose anything in an executive type envir would require a bachelor's right?

• rebel8
    rebel8

A Master's is necessary in some fields, not all though.

My best advice is to check not only the federal job outlook but your state's job projections as well. Narrow it down to a handful of options and then check to see what is expected to have plentiful jobs in the state where you intend to live.

Also check your state's (or the state where you intend to live) professional licensure lists. Find out what types of professions require licensure. Often jobs requiring licensure are easier to get, because there is less competition...only those with the license can apply, not just anyone and everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit