Leaving JWs Has Made Me Intolerant of Stupid Thinking - How About U?

by Seeker4 57 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Yes, it has. It is something that I am trying to correct.
    I think there are two causes. First and foremost, having a revelation moment and coming out of a patently false belief system gives you instant insight into many other falsehoods out there, and it begins to seems absurd that other people cannot or will not see the reality too. This is a common experience to all ex-JWs.
    But I think in many cases there is another factor at play. We live in an era of instant fact-checking capabilities. Refusing to connect the dots is one thing, but refusing to avail oneself of simple, factual information - refusing to see that the dots are there, as it were - is unforgivable. Being unable or unwilling to relinquish long-held ideas, I can understand. But intentionally putting one's head in the sand strains my ability for compassion.
    I understand that the two are related, and I must be honest and remember that I myself was there for a long time as well. So at this point I am working on adopting a more Buddha-like attitude and making information available to people when they choose to accept it, rather than trying to make people see what they clearly are not ready to see.
    SNG

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Seeker4,

Ignorance has always been a problem to society and always will be. I’m ignorant of many things and a slap off the side of my head may get someone shot (kidding). Sometimes you just have to let dumb ass things go and enjoy that beautiful girlfriend of yours.

HCM

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker, I like you, man! What's wrong inbeing a bit condescending and intolerant of stupidity? It may have less to do with you being a former JW and more with you being brighter than the average person. It is your cross to bear, son.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The reverse - it has made me more tolerant of stupid thinking because I am honets with myself and realize how stupid my thinking nmust have been before

• mouthy
    mouthy

I presently have a really hard time dealing with the christian thing.

startingover !!! I know just how your feeling about that. When I came out- I too was bothered by it. So my advice to you! Is!! dont think about it! leave it to them! I always believed in a Creator,,,But after being given the left foot of fellowship by the WT -I just hated listening to all those who had it right!!! Whoever they were worshiping. UNTIL!!!! I started to think for myself!! I do believe in a Creator. ( only because of what my eyes ,ears, sees! ) I am not a church attender, But I listen to folks of ALL faiths & I feel THAT is THEIR opinion.... I am allowed to have mine - so calm down on the Christian deal.... (((HUGS)))

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks for the comments. NG, I think you made a good point in that, those of us who have come out of a high control group like the JWs, and who've really thought about how it happened to us, have some serous insight into how groups like the Witnesses work. I'm working on a more zen approach - which is my normal way of functioning. It's just that I don't tolerate fools well, and I think the point made that we have so much information instantly at our fingertips, that there's no real excuse for some of the things people believe. For me, the challenge will be just turning away and not letting that sort of thinking get to me. And yes, I do enjoy life with my beautiful girlfriend! S4

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks for the comments.

NG, I think you made a good point in that, those of us who have come out of a high control group like the JWs, and who've really thought about how it happened to us, have some serous insight into how groups like the Witnesses work.

I'm working on a more zen approach - which is my normal way of functioning. It's just that I don't tolerate fools well, and I think the point made that we have so much information instantly at our fingertips, that there's no real excuse for some of the things people believe.

For me, the challenge will be just turning away and not letting that sort of thinking get to me.

And yes, I do enjoy life with my beautiful girlfriend!

S4

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi Seeker

I've been out for thirty three years so I've had plenty of time to integrate the JW experience. Though I have mellowed thru the years I must admit I am probably not as patient as I should be with people whose mental processes aren't quite up to snuff.

Nate

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

Hey seeker4. I've got to say...I'm getting less ignorant now that I left the borg. It does piss me off when people make a statement without backing it up with facts. Especially when they come off high & mighty. Say high to lori for us.

• ShepGator
    ShepGator

What gets me even more than the ignorance is the hypocrisy. I left the JW borgs when they humiliated my mom so badly that she tried to commit suicide and made my brother feel so guilty, he turned to drinking and ended up freezing to death walking home from work drunk. But my mom found a way to forgive and forget and all my attempts to educate her to the lunancy of their reasoning (once she tried to explain why JW had to have created everything because you couldn't put sugar, flour, and milk in a bag and shake it and end up creating a cake!) I finally realized that continuing to try to reason with her was futile and was only hurting out relationship. So I gave up and we both kind of silently agreed to never discuss these topics again. I don't know how people leave JWs and move on to Christianity of any sort. I do agree the whole experience leaves you feeling very jaded. I am much more inclined to follow Eastern teachings of Tao or Budda (love to drop this line in front of Christainites - they have a coronary - very funny! Try it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit