Leaving JWs Has Made Me Intolerant of Stupid Thinking - How About U?

by Seeker4 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Lori (my girlfriend - a non-JW). and I had quite a discussion last night. I am almost always a VERY tolerant, easygoing person, but there is this one aspect of my personality that has caused us a certain amount of tension. Hmmm....

When I hear someone espousing an opinion or viewpoint that I KNOW is stupid, unreasoned and intellectually indefensible - essentialy on any topic that I've thoroughly researched and really, really thought seriously about - I just want to smack them up side the head and tell them what a fucking idiot they are. To say that I am condescending and view that person as intellectually lacking is to put it fairly mildly. For a nice guy, I can really go off on this...

Last night Lori cornered me about where this attitude comes from. As we discussed it, there was this breakthrough for me. I came to understand that this intolerance for what I see as stupidity goes back to being a Witness and having to stifle myself time after time, year after year, when I knew I was hearing someone spout total bullshit from the platform or in the pages of WTS literature.

When I was a Witness, and especially as I was leaving, I had discussions with many, many elders and COs. Time after time I heard statements, for instance in regard to the evidence that there was no flood or that evolution is a fact, like this: "Well, I can come up with all sorts of ideas for that" about why the 160,000-year-old ice shields covering the Arctic, Antarctic and Greenland completely disprove the Noachian Flood and the 6,000-year date for the creation of Adam in a tropical paradise, why the cave paintings in France can be dated back 20,000 years or more, etc. This from JW men who have absolutely no knowledge of science or the scientific method or the concept that any idea, in order to be considered credible, must be falsifiable.

I found myself time and again trying to have serious, logical discussions with men who were totally ignorant of science and logic, yet who saw themselves as superior to science and logic because they were worshippers of the one true god via the one true religion. The last CO I talked with about any of these ideas told me how ready he was to go head-to-head on evolution, having just studied all the latest on the intelligent design issue. My god...

Anyway, it was very helpful for us to get this kind of insight into why I could just blow up when I hear someone spouting something that is total idiocy and bullshit.

Have any of you had this same issue come up after leaving the Witnesses? As in: "beware the fundamentalist, intelligent design proponent or any other intellecutally indefensible viewpoint idiot that crosses my path?"

Thanks for responding, from the normally tolerant

Seeker4

• startingover
    startingover

WOW! I can really relate to that!

I presently have a really hard time dealing with the christian thing. I don't know if realizing where these feelings may have come from are going to help or not. I've got to find a way because I think my non JW friends are getting tired of hearing it from me. Hopefully this thread will yield an answer for me.

Thanks for starting this thread Seeker4

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yup. All the time. I rip apart and analyse every persuasive speech. Kind of takes the fun out of being swayed along by the crowd. Ex-JW Scams Restaurant

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i know what you mean.

it's like some people leave the wits, and just stop there. they don't go much further. the status-quo: they love it. addicted to normalcy and stability. whatever, each to their own.

and then there are others, who leave and keep using the tools that they aquired during their deconversion. they use the tools on other things, like religion, god, morals, higher meaning, society, culture, etc etc.

honestly, there are a lot of reasons why i rejected the WTS. one of the major ones is that i think startched, conservative, white collar, bible salesmen are total freaking idiots, regardless of where they are coming from. conservatism is like a religion itself, with much doctrine. and doctrine, whether it's religious or not, is wearisome to the "soul".

i say F doctrine. doctrine breeds idiocy.

meaning has nothing on meaninglessness. good has nothing on evil. light has nothing on darkness.

The last CO I talked with about any of these ideas told me how ready he was to go head-to-head on evolution, having just studied all the latest on the intelligent design issue. My god...

hooberus is a CO still!? lol

TS

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey! I resemble that remark!

BTW, tetra, we are scheduled soon for our grand debate. I was wondering if myspace might be a better venue, if we set up a group, invitation only. I want a quality debate, not with the likes of Shining One/Scholar/Schizm. But everyone could still watch. And we could discuss the results here.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I find that I just don't care what others think unless it effects my livelihood. I seldom venture my opinion on the Bible or any subject related to it. It would like debating with people the veracity of the Humpty Dumpty story. Really, can we trust the report from the kingdom that all its horses and men couldn't put Humpty together again? It is, rather, a sense of futility that keeps me from engaging in the mind games of religion any longer. Don't need it. As far as being critical of those who assert things that are false, who cares. "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

W.Once

• startingover
    startingover

W. Once

I envy you. I really hope someday I can get there.

I often wonder if I didn't have a whole family of JW's around me if I would be different and could let it go. Seeker4, obviously you seem to still be dealing with it although I think you are free from most of that influence now. My wife just left for the meeting. I am constantly reminded of my past life. But I wonder, even if she figured out that the JW's are a scam, would she be able to spot the problems with the whole christian thing the way I see it? Is she really so weak she needs that crutch? Sorry if those words offend, but that's the way I feel.

meaning has nothing on meaninglessness; good has nothing on evil; light has nothing on darkness.

Well put Tetra. Words to ponder for sure.

Jgnat and Tetra, if you ever get the thing going, I would really like to be privy to it.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I've become pretty tolerant of my stupid thinking. It's too much trouble to figure it all out. I've thought so much in my old age to try to figure out life and the universe that I've just decided to let it go and try to live as simple as possible. It seems no one is able to solve the worlds problems and it will continue to be a big mess until some natural catastrophe brings the earth to it's end.

It's a good thing that someone out there is at least trying as I have become to old and depressed to worry about it anymore.

Ken P.

• Golf
    Golf

Seeker4, to me, being involved in business, sports and politics its' a given to deal with such people. I view their stupid thinking as 'misguided' thinking. I find it an interesting challenge when I can help them to see the other side of the coin. It takes time and patience, its' not 100% proof, but it works.

Golf

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    BTW, tetra, we are scheduled soon for our grand debate. I was wondering if myspace might be a better venue, if we set up a group, invitation only. I want a quality debate, not with the likes of Shining One/Scholar/Schizm. But everyone could still watch. And we could discuss the results here.

What? You doubt scholar's debating skills? Surely not! LOL. What would the celebrated celebate Watchtower scholars think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit