Execution in United States Are You For It?

by jayhawk1 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

FROM THE AP...

RALEIGH, N.C. - A man who killed his wife and father-in-law pinned his hopes on last-minute intervention from the governor or the courts as he awaited lethal injection early Friday in the nation's 1,000th execution since capital punishment resumed in 1977. Kenneth Lee Boyd, set to die at 2 a.m., spent the day receiving visitors, including two sons who watched him gun down their mother and grandfather in 1988.

My questions are; Are you for or against the death penalty? What was your opinion of the death penalty as a Jehovah's Witness?

As a former corrections officer, I am for the death penalty, but I can understand the oposition's point of view too.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

yes

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

When I was a Witness I was opposed to the death penalty on the grounds that only God should decide who lives and who dies.

I have changed my mind.

If someone takes a life in premeditated cold blood that person forfeits his or her own life.

The execution should be within one month of conviction.

I would gladly put such a person to death without batting an eye.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

I'm against it. Usually.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I'm usually for it.

• hubert
    hubert

If it's murder, and PROVEN that it's premeditated, then YES.

Hubert

• prophecor
    prophecor

For the most part, as in cases where their is such a heinous spirit or energy attached to the crime. Where the criminal just bathes and languishes in what they've done, where they celebrate the murders that they've committed without even a sembelance of remorse, then I say yes.

There are those who've committed murder, crimes of passion as it's described, in situations where adultery has come into play. Each situation needs to be viewed on a case by case basis. There are some cases which really require scrutinizing. Some have been unjustly accused, and I'll just not go into the big debate about that, except to say, DNA TESTING!!!

Then there are those who might come to be examples of what profitable outcomes can result in the keeping of some prisoners alive. The example of Tookie Williams is just one possible scenario. How much good has come as result of his being in prison is debateable. He appears however to have become a guidepost for others who have gone down that road and continue on it, only to be diverted from it as a result of learning from Tookie Willams example. The books that he has written in order to bring about a message to targeted youth in theses United States, have reportedly worked miracles in the lives of many youth who have found a way and means of getting out of the gangs.

There are no easy answers regarding the death penalty. In many cases it would seems as if the easy way out. Eye for an eye is all too well understood by me, to punish someone, however, it would be more painful to continue to allow someone to live, without any means of human contact for the rest of thier days on earth, such as is done in many of the SUPERMAX Prison Systems, where you are kept alive in a contained and totally supervised environment. You wanna' punish somebody and make them feel pain? Make someone live through that hell and see how much a deterent to crime it becomes.

There are no easy answers. I'd have to say that if you want to make it fair, you got to cut across the board evenly, as one dies, then so do they all.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

i am all for the death penalty, Death Row should be empty, get the scum in there and then get em out, why in the hell should we be penalized by paying for taxes that end of supporting this vermin. Get rid of them I say.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Until recently, I was a proponent of the death penalty in the US. However, after a conversation I had with a former poster on this board, and after considerable thought, I have changed my mind. I am no longer for the death penalty because, as Yerusalem pointed out to me, there are no rich men on death row.

He left me speechless when he said that because it's true. Poor people cannot afford proper legal representation. In law, as in most things, you get what you pay for.

Thank you Yeru.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

What about the young Australian guy hanged in Singapore this morning?

He was caught at Changi airport trying to smuggle some heroin back home to Australia.

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit