Parental Obligation - Please Define

by jeanniebeanz 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

What would you consider to be the basic, intermediate and advanced obligations of a parent? I am very interested in your opinions.

Jeannie

• Jez
    Jez

Basic: Food, shelter, clothing

Intermediate: Love, faith, hope, respect for self, others and property, excitement for living, play, positive attitude, encouragement, extended family, plant a desire for life long learning, individuality (place in the world), problem solving skills, chores, friendship skills, love of nature, love of exercise, the meaning of unconditional love, traditions and customs both family and cultural, positive reinforcement, discipline. Travel, vacations, family time.

Advanced: Critical thinking skills, independance, responsibility, social awareness, ownership of failures and successes, self awareness (why they do the things they do), aware of strengths and how to accent them, aware of weaknesses and how to combat them, desire to succeed, support them as they walk into life independantly. Walk beside, not in front or behind, ready to put an arm out if necessary. Letting them fall, waiting for them to get up on their own but ready to step in and help. Letting them succeed, and allowing them to intristically feel the pleasure of it. (as well as praise). Set unmoveable guidelines/rules, only a few majorly important ones. Encouraging debate, allowing debate/different opinions while teaching respect. Apologizing, admiting mistakes, admiting that you don't have all the answers.

Not an all inclusive list, but that is how I parent. Jez

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

KUDOS TO THAT!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

My short reply would be the safety and emotional and physical welfare of the child. But the fact that there are whole books written on the subject tells me that there are really no short answers to this.

I feel my obligation, in short, is to do my best to make sure my children grow up in a safe enviornment to become thinking, caring and responsible adults. This to me means exposing them to different viewpoints (not just my own) and helping them to develop reasoning and empathy skills. Hopefully, this sets them up to be able to deal with anything life throws them.

I hope this is kinda what you were looking for...

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hey Jeannie. I'm an EXPERT in this field! None finer!

Beginning:

Feed 'em, house 'em, clothe 'em, provide medical care, education, and regular beatings.

Intermediate:

Mold their psyches with phobias such as ghosts, spiders, germs, viruses, criminals, war, death, you name it.

Advanced:

Destroy their sense of worth and value as human beings. Constant belittling and fault finding works well, as do fits of rage and violence.

Kidding about all this of course. Some parents actually do parent in this manner.

Have a great day Jeannie.
    Nate

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ditto what Jez so aptly said

• Golf
    Golf

No need to add to what's been said.

Golf

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

ohhh jez; great list.

I would add: teach classic principals of LOGIC.

It is amazing how few folk can logically verbalize WHAT they believe and WHY..

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I was once told by a jw that logic was from satan...no lie

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Wow! I want Jez to adopt me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit