Parental Obligation - Please Define

by jeanniebeanz 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez
    I want Jez to adopt me.

My daughters would tell you that you were crazy... .I just choose to believe that they will only see how hard this job, that I make look easy, really is when they themselves become parents. To try to be a parent requires a hint of slyness, alot of difficulty, constant adjustment, thoughtful readjustments, unending self questioning, 'dancing'-knowing when to come forward and when to stay back, patience that the best rewards of parenting take a long time to see, consistency even when you are not sure you are doing it all right, knowing how much to reveal about yourself and how much to hide, and most of all-uninhibited love.

Jez

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thanks everyone. There are some really good insights into parenting responsibilities on this thread. I have been very frustrated lately with the developments in my son's life. I see that I am not alone in my understanding of what are normal parental responsibilities, and I don't see anyone here saying that it is 'ok' to write kids off over belief systems.

Thank you all for your comments. They are very helpful. If you don't mind, I'd like to share these with my son.

Jeannie

• Jez
    Jez
    I don't see anyone here saying that it is 'ok' to write kids off over belief systems.

I don't understand???

Jez

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

My 17 yr old was thrown out and written off by his dad because he didn't want to be a JW. It flys in the face of everything I believe about parental obligations.

Jean

• Jez
    Jez

Horrible and wrong, I am glad your son has you. I believe that parents never stop being parents. I still wish I had my mother around to offer 'motherly' advice about raising my own kids, marriage, work, etc...but I don't. I'll always parent my children, regardless of age or religious choice.

My ex did that too, to my oldest daughter, and she was only 13 at the time, he said, "If you don't want to come to meetings, you are not welcome to come over."

Jez

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit